SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 11 of 16 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16 >
Topic Options
#165531 - 12/19/06 05:15 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
OK, Fran, you asked for it

I loaded up the G70 Factory UPS (this is how it comes OOTB), I then picked a completely random style (even closed my eyes when choosing!), set the G70 to default setup, Arranger easy setting. and then just used whatever OTS for each variation the factory supplies.

This should be the experience of anyone opening up the box and playing the G70 for the first time.

I then improvised a short piece (no idea where I stole the changes, I got confused towards the end!) simply changing OTS to change sounds and variations at the same time, and improvised the solos on the top. ALL live, no overdubs, no editing, no nothing... One take, no do-overs, no rehearsal! You can hear my f*ckups loud and clear, no CraigUK tricks here.....!

If I were editing, I would have dropped the reverb a tad, but I repeat - this is totally OOTB, just like your demo, OK?
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FB3EDD9C14C64642

Now when the MS's styles sound better than this, you tell me, OK?

And when your goods match this, you can come jam with me.......

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 12-19-2006).]

#165532 - 12/19/06 05:45 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 12-20-2006).]

#165533 - 12/19/06 05:48 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Diki

Very nice playing and improvisation. Your instrument sounds terrific.
Now THAT'S playing.

Peter

#165534 - 12/19/06 05:50 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Fran Carango Offline

#165535 - 12/19/06 05:52 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Very nice Diki...great improv.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#165536 - 12/19/06 06:10 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Diki Offline

Thanks, everybody.

That took me ten minutes from start to post.

Fran, I went out of my way to do NOTHING that a first time user wouldn't do. Familiarity had nothing to do with it. I picked a random style hit the OTS button and started playing. There are absolutely NO non factory edits, nothing other than hitting OTS1 (which turns sync start on automatically) and playing. Just like you, or anyone else here at SZ pulling it out of the box for the first time would do.

You've had your MS for how many days? And still can't even find the volume faders? I never touched mine for this demo, I wanted you to know this is OOTB.

I am sure so many of our members could do as good (or better!) with just about any modern arranger out there. The T2 would have a field day with the guitars, and sax sounds, the Korgs have great synth sounds and percussion. I am not saying this is the be-all and end-all of arrangers.

BUT...... it blows your MS away (for now!). Hopefully, Domenik is reading this (still bored?) and can now see the problem. Get your styles to this level, and the west will beat a path to your door (with me in the front!).

And yes, it would have been nice to put a repeat of the changes on a Chord sequencer and REALLY open your eyes to what you can play with two hands.

Domenik.... if you can add a clone of the Roland Chord Sequencer to the MS's OS, I will buy one tomorrow (and I know of at least two others who'll join me!). How's that?

#165537 - 12/19/06 06:13 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Diki Offline

Oh, and it was Sunshine Bossa, in the factory Bossa/Samba bank.

And that pain in your.... throat just might be some crow, sticking there.....

You know I love you, man, but let's all lighten up a bit here, OK?

Happy Holidays.......

#165538 - 12/19/06 07:09 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Fran Carango Offline

#165539 - 12/19/06 07:18 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
zuki Offline

Diki,

My E-50 sounds very much like your G70. I am a happy camper and know very well that I could take this board live, no problem.

Thanks for the song.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#165540 - 12/19/06 07:55 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Diki Offline

Thanks, Fran, I know it seems like a thankless task, but so few of these MSs are out there, ANY user demo provides information. Unfortunately, that information is not good news for potential customers, yet.....

How about a few that you just play the style section, no right hand at all..? I am still interested in hearing how well the MS's OS handles fill transitions, and slightly off-time chord input (and we ALL do that from time to time!)....

How about picking what you think is the BEST style on the MS and giving us a quick taster, Fran, rather than this random stuff? I KNOW you didn't buy this thing just for B4.....

I can only imagine how much better the MS will sound once you can address VST and GIGA from the styles and SMFs (he's been selling it for HOW long without this basic ability?!!), but a polished turd is still a turd.... the styles themselves have got to be better than these apparently ripped-off public domain stinkers.

The big 3 probably spend as much on style development as Domenik has in his entire budget, and this is a steep hill to climb, but hopefully, the next batch will impress more......

Oh, and NO OTS....? I didn't know that (or no simple chord types, though I never use those). I guess the one thing I'm learning is how difficult it must be to design good arranger software and styles as good as the majors. I always used to bitch about how expensive arrangers are compared to their more capable workstation cousins, but if it is this hard for Domenik to get the styles right, no wonder we pay more for good arrangers than good workstations!

Page 11 of 16 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online