SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#153624 - 12/18/06 06:18 AM What would you do?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Morning gang,

Today I received the following email from my restaurant client here in Troy.

Hi Bill.

At this point, I am unsure of continuing with our Jan and Feb dates. Although I think you've been great, I haven't seen the return that I hoped to see. Business has actually decreased on most of the nights you've played over the last few months. I don't really know why that is, although it may have something to do with the fact that we picked the wrong nights of the week, OR most of my clientele wasn't into it for one reason or another. Additionally, having weighed the cost of the whole thing.... your weekly fee along with dinner, radio spots, and newspaper advertising..... has made this attempt a pretty expensive endeavor considering the reality of what actually happened to business volume levels on your nights.

Not too sure where to go from here. At this point, I would rather not continue in Jan and Feb. Having said that, I also realize that I extended my virtual handshake to you when we booked those dates and I am a person of my word. I am open to continuing if you feel like you are locked into those dates. As I said, it's a losing deal for me right now and I am hesitant to again spend advertising dollars on something that has been a non return.

On a personal note, all of us here feel as if your perfomances have been high caliber and very good. The above comments in no way are a reflection on your personal performances, etc.

Mike

Some random thoughts:

*His original goal was to try and increase general traffic in the dining room and bar.

*My original goal was to find a steady gig on an off night for me grow into something worthwhile.

*While it is probably the best place in town, this town is still Troy, OH, which isn't Cincy or Cbus...or even Dayton.

*There is no history of live entertainment here. They've had a few things here and there but nothing steady like me. They've been open 15+ years smack dab in downtown Troy, OH.

*I think that for this place, having live entertainment may not be a money making proposition in the short term. What I have seen is different people every week putting $30-$50 in my tip jar even though the staff says the place wasn't very busy those nights. I was there on Thursdays in the Fall, then switched to Sunday supper hours in December. A completely different crowd, IMO. In Jan/Feb, it was to return to Thursdays.

*I have already booked several future engagements from people who have heard me here...That seems to have a long term potential to continue, I think.

*That said, I think if he sucked it up and committed to 6 months or so of steady weekly gigs on a consistent night, he'd see some results...I'm not a habit yet in anyone's mind probably due to the Thursday/Sunday/Thursday switch...

*I don't think in this town people...in December...are looking for things to do. Everyone is getting ready for Xmas, running around, parties, ect...So, it may not be the best time to make a determination on the future results.

*I am already giving him a cut rate of $100.00, + food for 3 hours. (Well, its cut rate for me, I guess...)I'm not really interested in dropping my price any more. The short term financial loss for me really isn't a concern...I can easily replace it with a 1 hour gig that pays the same kind of money.

*I think that the people who have heard me, enjoy me quite a bit. I've no explanation on why he may be slower on the nights he has me come in at all. If my tip jar was empty, if no one stopped by to chat with nice words, then I'd think I wasn't the right guy for the job...My feedback from the people I see is very positive...

*Options include:

1) Forcing him to honor the booked dates, which I think is unwise and taints the relationship for any future possibilities.

2) Propose dropping all advertising expenditures and continuing through the scheduled 2008 dates and then re-evaluate in February.

3) Take the high road, make it as easy on him as possible to get out of our agreement to leave the relationship in a positive way.

All comments, suggestions are welcome...

Bill in Dayton www.billcorfield.com

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-18-2006).]

#153625 - 12/18/06 06:30 AM Re: What would you do?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
The short term financial loss for me really isn't a concern...I can easily replace it with a 1 hour gig that pays the same kind of money.

Bill, there's your answer. Take option #3, no bridges burned, no feelings hurt, no money lost, with the realization that many customers will miss you and you may be asked to return at some later point in time... at a higher fee. Good luck.

Glenn

#153626 - 12/18/06 06:36 AM Re: What would you do?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
#3 is the only way to go, since the money isn't a big thing for you. If you were in his shoes, that's probably what you would want to happen.
But I know you hate to "give up" on something that you feel will work out in the long run.
Good luck.
DonM

#153627 - 12/18/06 06:47 AM Re: What would you do?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Absolutely #3. It's always better to keep the relationship friendly, especially with the volume of work you do in other venues. Restaurants don't seem to be the way to go anymore. You should have no trouble fiiing in that time.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#153628 - 12/18/06 06:54 AM Re: What would you do?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bill ...
I think there are several things to consider ...
1) I would think that in this location $100 + food, for a 3 hour gig is not a bad rate for a steady gig, especially if you are adding $30 - $50 in tips ...
2) This apparently has been a good exposure for you with future gigs being booked ...
3) Will the 'replacement' one hour gig provide the same exposure and potential?

You have laid the facts out very well ... How about a 'sit-down' with him and discuss some of the possibilities, i.e. reduction in advertizing, etc. Sometimes, local papers will advertize local entertainment (so and so appearing at xxxxx on Thursday night) with little or no charge ...
Or perhaps a limited time offer of using some (all?) of your tip $ to pay for some advertizing ...
I also think you need to establish what night of the week YOU will be there ...

In the end, I think it all comes down to what YOU see as the potential for yourself in the future at this place...
Good luck ....
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 12-18-2006).]

#153629 - 12/18/06 07:00 AM Re: What would you do?
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
The appropriate thing to do would have been to never post this to the NET. The business between you and your client is exactly that, your business not anyone else's. Posting a personal e-mail from your client to you on the NET is not only rude, it shows a lack of respect on your part for him. Does your client know that you posted his personal e-mail on the NET? I'll bet if he did you wouldn't have to ponder what you need to do in this situation, he'd make the decision for you and never use your services again. His e-mail spelled things out quite clearly for you and he was being quite nice to you. In return what you did was simply wrong.

In my business I have many high profile clients... If I ever posted anything personal from them as you did it would kill my business. What you did shows a complete lack of tact on your part. I guess if that works for you great, but I believe good business is built on trust.

#153630 - 12/18/06 07:05 AM Re: What would you do?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
#3 for sure.
The restaurant owner expressed his situation very well...rather than just canning you on the spot. It is obvious that he was willing to try something new in the hope it work out to the benefit of both of you.

You may be right about needing more time to build the business...but when expectations are not met, owners tend to feel they are putting good money after bad.

Bill, you are a gentleman and pro. One gig isn't going to make or break you. There may be other opportunities there in the future and referrals from the owner.

#3, without a doubt.
Eddie

#153631 - 12/18/06 07:31 AM Re: What would you do?
Pacesetter Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
The appropriate thing to do would have been to never post this to the NET. The business between you and your client is exactly that, your business not anyone else's. Posting a personal e-mail from your client to you on the NET is not only rude, it shows a lack of respect on your part for him. Does your client know that you posted his personal e-mail on the NET? I'll bet if he did you wouldn't have to ponder what you need to do in this situation, he'd make the decision for you and never use your services again. His e-mail spelled things out quite clearly for you and he was being quite nice to you. In return what you did was simply wrong.

In my business I have many high profile clients... If I ever posted anything personal from them as you did it would kill my business. What you did shows a complete lack of tact on your part. I guess if that works for you great, but I believe good business is built on trust.

Geez, why don't you tell us how you really feel. I find that a bit dramatic. We're not talking highly confidential info or sharing secrects about a rocket launch here, it's a gig for Pete's sake. Your business is totally different as you say " high profile clients."

Bill for one I'm glad you posted that e-mail and question. If I were in your shoes, I would have posted just as you have. When I read your question I had no idea on how I would have handled it. It's certainly a judgement call and I would have been a bit undecided which way to go. But now that the facts are out and other's have commented. It seems that number 3 is the way to go, I would have taken that advice myself. Best wishes.

[This message has been edited by Pacesetter (edited 12-18-2006).]

#153632 - 12/18/06 07:41 AM Re: What would you do?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
3) Take the high road, make it as easy on him as possible to get out of our agreement to leave the relationship in a positive way.

#153633 - 12/18/06 08:20 AM Re: What would you do?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Yes, again option 3. He has been very open and fair. Plus he will feel obligated to book you again if required.
Plus you will feel better in yourself dealing with it this way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online