SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 16 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16 >
Topic Options
#165521 - 12/19/06 01:23 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in......!

I am not going to make ANY comment about the RH voices' quality - the playing was so poor as to make quality moot. Fran, you've always stood up for your buddies when they were a bit brutal to other posters, here. I hope you can take what you dish out....... That demo is one of the best reasons to not buy a MS I have yet heard. It makes the factory ones seem amazing!

Look, everyone reading this thread, download Fran's demo, and laugh your a$$es off......!

Not only, unfortunately, is the playing terribly amateurish, but if you actually CAN get past that, and listen to the style underneath, there are all sorts of weird jumps in the guitar voices, jerky chord transitions (listen at :45), strange variation choices (probably Fran, but who knows? listen at 1:10) and fills that sound confused and poorly mixed.

Of course it's possible to play a LOT better than Fran's example (I've heard better from Fran in the past) but the style itself....... Other than the silly talk about weight going on endlessly here - look, everybody, there are arrangers from the Big 3 that weigh as much, nearly, as the MS, so don't all pile on Domenik for that one..... bitch at Roland for the E80, bitch at Korg for the PA1XPro (plenty of you have THOSE...) - no, the STYLES is what I've been talking about since the beginning of this thread........

Does ANYONE here think that that style was anything but a dog.....? That's all I've been saying since the start. Domenik, I've heard better, smoother transitioning styles on a Casio (no offense to you Casio people!). Who cares how good the lead voices sound, with backing like that?

And Fran, you should be ashamed...... after all that time extolling how good the G1000 was, directly compared against T2's and Korgs etc., and now you are touting that awful style against even your old G1000....? I think Fran's found the Emperor's New Arranger.....

Domenik, if I were you, I would email Fran and tell him to NEVER post another pile of dog doo like that again. You are doing your best (I really AM interested in the MS, and am only waiting to hear the new styles with VST and GIGA to see if you CAN make it better than the T2 et al), but that demo didn't help at all. In fact, it only confirms what we've all been saying to you (except the weight thing!) all along;

The MS is, indeed a HYBRID. it is trying to be an arranger AND a workstation. Currently, it is an amazing workstation, and a lousy arranger (only because of the styles, but hey, what else IS an arranger about, primarily?). When it is an amazing workstation, AND an amazing arranger, I will buy one...... Until then......

----------------------------------------------------------

I apologize to all in this post about how harshly I have taken Fran to task about that awful demo, but after his insulting comments to us all here, and staunch support of his 'friends' that also think brutal honesty is acceptable commentary, I am SURE he will forgive me for responding in fashion.

#165522 - 12/19/06 01:32 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Fran please don't take offense, I am not picking on your playing ability, as I understand it was a once over live take.

But from that demo, the sound quality does sound worse than your G1000.

Those drums, that guitar strum and tacky sax and piano. Sounds like it was done on an old Casio.

your right not being able to compare the MS to most mid to top of the market arrangers because they absolutely put that MS sound bank to shame.

This would have to be one of the first times I highly agree with Diki.

#165523 - 12/19/06 01:51 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Fran,

I must agree with Diki...the demo is not very impressive.

You could have been playing a very low end portable keyboard judging from what I heard.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#165524 - 12/19/06 02:20 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Diki Offline

Sorry, NickG, but playing a gig IS playing a once over live take. If that is what Fran sounds like without SMFs to back him......

Sell your MS, Fran, and buy TWO G1000s (one for backup!). You sounded SO much better before.....

#165525 - 12/19/06 03:03 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
its almost like being in the twilight Zone...

I dont know how the MS can recover any respectability after that. Surely it must be a better idea to drop the "arranger capability " aspect of this work station until all the glitches and poor styles have been sorted out and focus on the work station side. When the arranger function is sorted then simply relaunch it. But selling it like it is seems to me to be a fatal mistake and almost fraudulent. This is nowhere near the best arranger on the market. We are not comparing apples with pears. More like apples wih lemons....

I was going to go see the Jonesyboys MS which he kindly said that i could but with the genuine respect to Jonesyboy i can see now that i would be wasting both his and my time.

I am not going to comment on frans playing. Just his judgement. Do you really want potential dealers to hear that ?

[This message has been edited by Spalding1 (edited 12-19-2006).]

#165526 - 12/19/06 03:08 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Sorry, NickG, but playing a gig IS playing a once over live take.

yes that is true I agree!

#165527 - 12/19/06 03:28 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Spalding1:

I was going to go see the Jonesyboys MS which he kindly said that i could but with the genuine respect to Jonesyboy i can see now that i would be wasting both his and my time.

Please don't let that demo stop you from seeing the Mediastation in person. I won't comment on Frans demo other than to say it is not representative of what the Mediastation truly sounds like. See the Mediastation in person and judge for yourself. If after seeing and hearing it first hand you don't like it, then comment about it.

#165528 - 12/19/06 03:56 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 12-20-2006).]

#165529 - 12/19/06 03:59 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Diki Offline

Ensnareyou, would you care to have a crack at posting a small demo of your MS, just to take the taste of that last one out of my mouth?

If Fran's doesn't in any way represent what is capable, would you care to post something that IS.......?

No pressure, I won't flame it (you haven't gone out of your way to insult us here!), but as I said - as one of the few here that HONESTLY is interested in a MS, I really need to hear some examples of stuff I can't already better with my current rig. I have B4, Ivory, DFH and BFD, Stylus RMX, Atmosphere and several others already on my studio computer system, so I am already aware of how good those can sound, I am primarily interested in hearing styles that YOU consider adequate, and the way that the MS handles fill boundaries, and very slightly late chord input.

Roland do some very clever tricks with portamento (set to zero) to compensate for slightly late (or even just on the beat) chord changes, and I'd like to hear how well the MS's engine copes with that. Some of the weirdness of Fran's example came from problems there, I think, but I'd like to hear more unedited style play to get a better impression.

Thanks, in anticipation......

#165530 - 12/19/06 04:06 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
i play for fun fran.I am not a pro. Sounds like you and i have some things in common

[This message has been edited by Spalding1 (edited 12-19-2006).]

Page 10 of 16 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online