SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16 >
Topic Options
#165501 - 12/18/06 02:06 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
35lbs!!! Come on. Did you not read Frans post? It already has a lighter metal body. Why in the world would any maker take a keyboard this size and one that requires a power source designed for computers and change that to a wall wart adapter?? That makes no sense.

Why should Dom pull what's clearly a TOP NOTCH keybed and replace that with a cheaper non-weighted keybed? You people seem to keep forgetting is that the MS is also a COMPUTER. It has parts that other arrangers don't have, so of course the weight is going up a bit.

Dom has built these units with top quality parts, and many issues with the weight were unavoidable (as Dom clearly pointed out). Yet people still find something to bitch about. Am I the only one that thinks this issue with weight (considering what the MediaStation is and what it's made of) to not be a serious issue? You can't ask for a keyboard to be built like a tank and then bitch and moan when "top quality" parts add a bit of weight.

I just think people bitch too much about keyboard weight on this forum. You want the thing to be light as a feather yet "durable". Our synths weigh more than the arrangers and you don't see synth players making such a big deal about it. We know the weight is due the units being built solid. I don't know, maybe the weight issue is really more of a concern to arranger players because of the market arrangers are intended for and geared towards.

Geez I remember when I was gigging and my set up at one time included a Yamaha DX-7, Korg Trinity, and my buddies classic Juno. Anyone who knows the DX-7 knows that board was rock solid, as well as the Juno's. I didn't give a crap about the weight. I gigged all week long with a setup like that. I could have cared less about the weight.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#165502 - 12/18/06 02:40 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
weight is not a bitching point, my friend--it's a real-world
parameter for most players. great that it's of no consequence to you, good for you, but please stop the in-your-face argumentative attitude, Ok? nobody is asking for Dom to put out a piece of crap, and nobody is saying what he is offering is not a great advance of the art. just saying make one sherman tank 88 for guys like you, and one 76 unweighted-key 35-lb plastic case version for guys like us. peace, brother.

------------------
Miami Mo

#165503 - 12/18/06 02:41 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, it WAS going to be my last post but this bombshell..... OMG! Fran as a dealer! I will NEVER say anything about one of George's reviews again!

Firstly, Fran, calling YOUR potential customer's comments a 'joke' just proves that bad salesmanship is not just a European concern, apparently (I AM one of those likely to be able to afford a MS). A smileyface is not going to cover up such disregard....

NOT comparing the MS to any other top of the line arranger..... a bad joke!

You and jonesboy are the only ones to comment on the styles from a perspective of the owner, so a 50/50 split as to opinions about the styles, and he isn't a rep. The rest of us just go to the website and listen to the demos. A bit more consensus there..... You don't have to play an MS to hear one and make your mind up.......

Let me add, probably 100% of the very few people that ARE likely to be interested in an MS (despite their sales staff's determination to insult them) already have at least a 16 track 24 bit computer recording capability, VST instruments, and all the plug-ins you can shake a stick at. These have LONG been available, at FAR less that the MS's Linux solution.

So what you are trying (sarcastically) to sell is something we already have. How much of this do we need to transport to the gig? Probably the VST and GIGA stuff only. Unless the styles blow my lowly, pathetic G70 out of the water (I know it's not a G1000, but it was all I could afford!), what need do I have for it?

Back in the day, Fran, you were quite prepared to comment on keyboards other than your own G1000, often with no more than a listen to manufacturer posted demos. Are you saying you were full of it then, or now?

The joke appears to be on us.......

------------------------------------------------

Seriously, man, you know I like you, but would YOU buy something from someone that just talked to you like your last post? Try reading George's posts and reviews if you need any pointers on how to communicate with a potential customer. Respect and patience will get you more sales than insults and confrontation......

Now I AM off this thread! (Unless Domenik's been setting up Saddam as a dealer, too!)

#165504 - 12/18/06 02:45 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
"I don't know, maybe the weight issue is really more of a concern to arranger players because of the market arrangers are intended for and geared towards"

bingo!!! somebody just switched on the light in here! Please let Dom know what his marketing department (if he has one) should have told him. The arranger market is different to the synth market.

Fran tell me what you are going to do with your 16 audi tracks in your one man band performance ? If i wanted backing tracks at a gig i would buy them . You and Dom might want this facility but tell me , does the arranger market want it ?

You say most of the styles work fine on the MS ? so were the demos that we heard online the better of the styles that worked "fine" in your opinion as someone that HAS SEEN and HEARD the MS, unlike the rest of us that can only judge it based upon what the manufacturer has put up for us to judge the instrument ?

What are you going to do with video editing on your arranger keyboard ? I genuinley want to know. Are you going to watch a film while you play audi tracks to your clients because you are too embarrassed to play the styles ? You and dom might want this facility but does the arranger market want it ?

if there were only a couple of potential customers on this forum then an awful lot of people wasted their time trying to persuade Dom to take their money off them. Perhaps there would have been more than a couple if Dom just listened!

if other arrangers as competition is a joke to you. if potential customers views and opinions sound stupid to you . then you are gonna struggle as a rep for the mediastation unless of course ......it too was a joke (note the absence of a smiley face)

You know what ? i wont comment on the MS again . I am feeling fairly wound up towards the manufacturer and its sales people as they quite obviously havent a bloody clue .

#165505 - 12/18/06 03:00 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
squeak_D Offline

Am I the only one who sees that the MediaStation is the "Hybrid" many of us have been asking for? A full fledged synth/workstation and arranger keyboard.

Weight issues are clearly different with synth players compared to arranger players, and that's fine. Who knows, maybe down the line Dom will produce a unit with a plastic body, and 76 non weigthed keys, but still keep in mind some of the unavoidable issues Dom had to meet with FCC regulations and so on.

Also keep in mind that Dom's english isn't the best. Dom is a really nice person. His post may come off a little harsh, but he doesn't intend to come off that way to people here. We who speak english well know how to "soften" a statement to avoid hurt feelings. Knowing and speaking to Dom I take his position as "we know the weight is an issue to some, but due to certain mandatory requirements some weight could not be avoided". That's how I saw it because I've chatted with Dom before, and he's a great guy, and I know he doesn't intend to come off that way. So I just right it off as a minor language barrier He "does" listen to users. His willingness to listen is obvious with the many changes that have come and are in the near future for the MediaStation.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#165506 - 12/18/06 03:00 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
sorry, said I was through but now my blood's up..try to compare it to Yamaha ypg line. not anywhere the same
kind of kb, natch, but just as an analogy, Ok?
they have YPG 625 which costs $799 w/legs, and is 88-key full weighted action. They also have an 88 and a 76
version with synth actions, costing $599 and $499 which weigh HALF of what the ypg 625 weighs. in every other respect except the sturdier legs and heavier case and woodgrain details of the 625, the units are identical.
I don't see any reason Dom can't take this as a model.

------------------
Miami Mo

#165507 - 12/18/06 03:52 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 12-20-2006).]

#165508 - 12/18/06 04:06 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
squeak_D Offline

Posted by Fran:
----------------------------------------
It is not an arranger...It is a total
workstation, with arranger features....that is why we can't compare to the keyboards you refer to...
----------------------------------------

Fran you are spot on my friend! That may be where the confusion is here. The MediaStation is a full production system with arranger capabilites. Simply put the HYBRID we've been asking for.

#165509 - 12/18/06 07:39 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Guys, I didn't mean to start another controversy by bringing up the weight! I merely stated it wasn't for me. I sincerely wish Liontracks the best. They are doing a lot of things right for a lot of people, just not me, and I don't have a problem with that.
We ALWAYS have to make allowances for the language barriers between our different nationalities. I am in awe of anyone who can even partially master a second or third language!
DonM

#165510 - 12/18/06 10:31 PM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
Its got nothing to do with a language barrier ! Its insulting to anyones intelligence to think that Dom and frans attitude cannot be seen for what it is, just complete rudeness and total lack of respect to people who want to see what could be a good product become better. All along this whole thread and previous threads regarding this instrument the theme has been " this is the best instrument not like the cheap crap you amateurs have been playing and if you dont agree then sod off !" Those are not actuall qoutes but that certainly has been the theme . Then Dom typically leaves with the parting arrogance that has become his trademark. " I am wasting my time, i am bored , i will not listen !" Do you think he had a problem with language or is he just plain arrogant ? For goodness sake !

Now we are being spun the new angle that it is a complete workstation with arranger capabilities !Diki has already pointed out that the workstation features are available on computers for a fraction of what the MS costs so that aspect is less likely to interest certainly myself as opposed to the arranger angle. I have only heard the demos online like most of us.Just how capable an arranger is this thing ? one problem though. I am turned on musically by the arranger aspect, this is an arranger forum viewed in the main by arranger enthusiasts and professional musicians and the one thing that for sure does not measure up on the MS compared to the "cheap plastic " lighter competitors is guess what ?

I said i was done with this topic. Apologies.

Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online