SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#165405 - 07/19/03 03:18 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
If I am holding hands with two pretty girls, one on my left and one on my right, is it stereo? It sure sounds good..What if they are homely girls?

#165406 - 07/19/03 11:14 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
You guys, you guys, ugh! Of course you will have a mono signal out if you have a mono Mic even IF the cable is a TRS at the Mic/Line In and the Mic/Line Input IS a stereo Input on the PSR 2K. We are talking about the Y2K, right? What I am saying is that according to what Yamaha told me the Mic/Line Input jack is a "Balanced" Input. Okay so far so good, (I hope). Being that the Mic and Line are integrated into the same Jack, I would be surprised if the Mic/Line Input on the Y2K is a Balanced "Mono" Input. The reason I say that is the User Manual states that I can hook up an external Audio Device, hint: MP3/CD Player, into the "Line In", which btw as I stated before is the SAME jack as the Mic In which we are all aware of.

Also if you re-route the Audio signal to the Main Outputs or even the Aux Outputs the "Natural" thing for it to be is a Stereo Output. (Where else do you know of where an Input Jack that can accept an external "Audio Device", ie. CD Player, etc., be meant to output a "Mono" signal?) (I'm talking in MOST case scenarios here.) Does that sound logical?, ie., to have the Output be Mono when the Input has the capability to accept an external "Audio" device Input? For instance, take a look at your PC sound card. You most likely have Line Level, ie., 1/8" inputs and outputs. PS: This is just an example which for the sake of time I will give just this one.
Now, the 1/8" "Stereo" line cable will output to your Stereo PC Speakers possibly routed to a Subwoofer first. Those inputs and outputs will NOT be balanced but they are "Stereo". If your high end sound card has 1/4" ins and outs then they could be also "Balanced" but not necessarily. But the Line Levels will always be Stereo as far as I'm aware of. Stereo Ins and Stereo Outs. Case closed.

What I'm getting at is it is the "Logical" conclusion to the PSR 2000 scenario, ie. MIC/LINE INPUT INTEGRATED INTO ONE JACK WHICH YAMAHA TOLD ME WAS "BALANCED" AND I CAN ALSO HOOK UP AN EXTERNAL "AUDIO" DEVICE SUCH AS AN MP3/CD PLAYER WHICH IS A "STEREO" AUDIO DEVICE BTW, AND PLAY MY MUSIC "MP3'S/CD'S", ETC., THROUGH MY PSR2K. LOGIC TELLS YOU THAT IT "SHOULD" BE A 'STEREO' SIGNAL OUTPUT. NOW I REALIZE YOU CAN ALSO HAVE A "BALANCED" MONO INPUT. BUT IT WOULDN'T BE 'LOGICAL' TO DO IT THAT WAY IF A PERSON ALSO HAS THE OPTION OF INPUTING AN EXTERNAL AUDIO DEVICE INTO THE MIC/LINE INPUT, EG. CD/MP3 PLAYER.

NOW TO BE TRUTHFUL I AM NOT SURE YAMAHA IS USING LOGIC WHEN THEY MADE THE MIC/LINE INPUT. THEY WOULDN'T BE IF THE 'BALANCED' MIC/LINE INPUT IS A "MONO" JACK. THEY 'WOULD' BE USING LOGIC IF THE MIC/LINE INPUT (WHICH 'IS' BALANCED ACCORDING TO YAMAHA) IS ALSO A "STEREO" INPUT CONNECTION.

NOTE: IF IT IS A "STEREO" INPUT, WHICH LOGIC TELLS YOU IT SHOULD BE, THEN THERE IS THE ADDED ADVANTAGE OF BEING ABLE TO PURCHASE A "STEREO" MICROPHONE AND HAVE A STEREO SIGNAL OUTPUT THROUGH YOUR VOCALS BY WAY OF THE STEREO MIC.

They are really coming into Vogue you know.

Also, Donny is that schematic from a PSR 2000? Or is it from the PSR 740? I'm guessing it's from the PSR 740. "They're two different Keyboards so I am a little apprehensive in accepting that schematic as "written in stone" fact when it is not from the Keyboard in question, ie., the Y2K.

Best regards,
Mike

#165407 - 07/20/03 07:04 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Logic has nothing to do with this scenario, Mike. The jack was intended for use as a mic input, with the added feature of a "line" switch so you could play other signals through it. Producing a stereo signal wasn't on the draawing board.
This is getting soooooooo tiring.
Believe what you want, but if you plug anything into a psr2000 mic input - you will enjoy lovely, Phil Spechter-like, MONO sound.......processed through a decent STEREO effects unit.
Forget about logic.
Forget computer line ins..
Forget about getting stereo from a mono device.
It just ain't gonna happen, my friend.

I'll respectfully drop this now. I'm sure it's wasting good bandwith, and I can't explain it any simpler. It's good to question things, but there are times when you run straight into the answer, and you need to recognize that it may not be the answer you want. This may be one of those times. The answer is:
M
O
N
O
sigh.......

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 07-20-2003).]

#165408 - 07/20/03 07:06 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Dnj Offline

Hi,

I was told that this schematic sent to me was a 740...BUT is excacly the same as the 2000.....you mean they are not the same?
uh oh... did I make a Boo Boo?

#165409 - 07/21/03 01:06 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Mike - all the real evidence we have says mono, especially the wiring diagram.

You have clearly been misinformed about the "balanced" input. Also, having stereo outputs from a device does not imply in any way that all inputs should be in stereo, look at any mixer for evidence.

A number of us have suggested that Yamaha use stereo jacks for everything because it is easier to mass-produce that way. The repair shop confirms this.

The "line/mic" distinction is purely about operating level; the Y2k sticks more gain into the circuit for a "mic" signal.

Thankyou and goodnight.

#165410 - 07/22/03 03:25 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
I'm back and just about caught up. The answer is Mono and unbalanced.

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#165411 - 07/22/03 03:31 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Ouch! That means someone at your Tech Support Center didn't know what he was talking about. He told me (after conferring with one of his buddies) that the Mic/Line In was Balanced. He didn't say it was Stereo because, for one, I didn't ask him that. I wonder what he would have answered if I did?? At least we now have a "definitive" answer although not the one I was hoping for.

Glad to see you're back from NAMM?? Steve. I hope you had a good trip. And Yes, there are several questions on the board that ask for your specific help. Welcome back!

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 07-22-2003).]

#165412 - 07/22/03 06:17 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Idatrod:
[B]Steve (Deming). And Yes, there are several (other) questions on the board that ask for your specific help. Welcome back!
Best regards,
Mike
B]

Hi Steve Deming. Just in case you might have overlooked this, one of those 'other' posting thread topics that Mike is referring to, and which I hope you will provide more followup information on is:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/006671.html

Welcome back to the forum,

Scott

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online