SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#165395 - 07/19/03 06:15 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sorry Mike--it's mono. The tech guy at the local music store said he just replaced the line/mic jack in a 2000 just two weeks ago and it's a stereo jack that's wired in mono. He said that all the 1/4-inch jacks were stereo jacks, even though most are wired in mono. The reasoning behind this is the simplicity of using all the same jacks on the circuit board and just wiring them to fit the application. I've had the 740 open a dozen times and all the 1/4-inch jacks are stereo as well. The guy you talked with probably had no idea whether it was mono or stereo, which is often the case when you're calling for technical information on electronic components. He probably assumed that because the keyboard had a stereo output that the line in was also stereo. It would have been nice to wire it that way, but they obviously did not.

Donny--pull the thread!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#165396 - 07/19/03 07:16 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
trtjazz Offline

I do not see a need to pull this thread, really it was a fruitful discussion and has some value as the answer was finally derived.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 07-19-2003).]

#165397 - 07/19/03 07:28 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Terry...
I agree. It certainly answered the question as to why a stereo mic cable I purchased did not work ... and how to solve the problem.
Eddie

#165398 - 07/19/03 07:49 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
I have to remind you all again that my "Stereo" Mic Cable DOES work on my PSR 2000. So don't disregard getting a Balanced Mic Cable to use in conjunction with your PSR or other Keyboard if you want to because it should work without any problems. Plus you could use the cable to patch into other "Balanced" sources when not using it with your PSR or other Keyboard. Just a thought.

I agree with Terry and Eddie that the thread has served a useful purpose so there should be no reason to delete it. Especially since we haven't yet heard from Yamaha's Steve Deming. And even if and when we do, the thread should still stay because then that info if and when Steve replies will always be in the database for future reference.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 07-19-2003).]

#165399 - 07/19/03 09:56 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
There's a very good reason why your stereo mic cable works. If the stereo mic is wired up such that the tip is one side and the ring is the other with the sleeve common, you'll get exactly what Yamaha planned - a mono mic directed to both channels which can give a stereo effect. They don't list the Vocal Harmony kit in the catalog but it's the same for all keyboards - a mono mic. And as I wrote in a previous post, they use a stereo jack so that the ring connector can be used as a switch to short the input to ground to prevent noise if no mic is plugged in and the input volume is turned up.

Bryan

#165400 - 07/19/03 11:00 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Pilot:
a mono mic directed to both channels which can give a stereo effect.

I'm sorry Bryan, but a mono INPUT signal will never give a stereo effect, no matter how many channels it is routed to. It's the same signal at each side of the jack, and they are both summed anyway.
This is getting so redundant.
It's mono.
It's always gonna BE mono.
Ask Ray Romano.
Mano y mano.
However you discuss it .... it's gonna be (say it with me .......)

MONO.

#165401 - 07/19/03 11:09 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
trtjazz Offline

Ok....I'm finally going to input something here....Dave is 100% correct. I do not care what you do or what type of cable you use....MONO is MONO, period. If the jack is wired mono, you will get mono.

Mono< = mono> one may be able to get a mono signal to go to 2 speakers but that equals up to 2 mono signals not a stereo signal. What it will be is the same sound at each speaker, not stereo.

Dave, hum the tune will ya' please and I'll sing along.....mono is .....
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#165402 - 07/19/03 01:27 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
UD, you'll notice I said stereo 'effect'. Maybe I should have put it in quotes the first time. What I meant was pseudo stereo, which is a well known stereo 'effect'. By manipulating the DSPs on my PSR I can get a stereo 'effect' from the mono mic. Sounds quite 'effective'. And I do know about mono and stereo. I was a professional electronics engineer for several years, designing audio equipment amongst other things.

Bryan

[This message has been edited by Pilot (edited 07-19-2003).]

#165403 - 07/19/03 01:44 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Bryan,
The only stereo "anything" that you hear is the effects processor. Dual mono is not "psuedo" stereo, and it's not an emulation of anything. it's mono. ..... it's two of the SAME signal in two locations. Why is this so hard to understand?

#165404 - 07/19/03 01:49 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Dnj Offline

Now here is the answer on this diagram of the KB......look on the left side where the stereo jack input is MIC/Line in...there are 3 connections for the jack....but the #3 one has no wire on it.....then look on the right side output...again on #3 no connection there !!!

Question answered....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-19-2003).]

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online