SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#164296 - 08/07/07 04:04 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Whilst this is a nice effort, Fran, it in no way rivals the Tyros megavoices.

The SA voices (T2 & S900) are also in a league of their own....the guitars are awesome.

Ian

#164297 - 08/07/07 04:10 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
No substitute for Real Guitar http://www.musiclab.com/products/realgtr_info.htm but that’s not what the original question was about.

Bill

#164298 - 08/07/07 04:20 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 08-09-2007).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#164299 - 08/07/07 05:48 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, don't tell me how awesome they are...Play something and show me!!

Bill I agree Real Guitar is hard to beat...but I truly believe if one could learn the technique to play Guitar Mode on the G70...it can be more than convincing..There are more than two octaves of keys designed to play different strums, besides the arpeggio [play] keys..

Except for Nick's decent guitar recordings, I have yet to hear anything from Tyros2 SA, Mega and whatever sounds..that have impressed me.
That is not to say that there are not any Yamaha sounds that rival Roland, Korg, Gem, Ketron...I am sure there is one or two..

For sure it won't be acoustic piano, Choir, Scat, organ,Drums, etc..
Or for that matter the entire GM sound bank..

The only Tyros2 recording that got my attention...was Craig's great guitar work on that Chet Atkins tune..

So what do you say Ian, record these great SA, Mega sounds ..and blow me away.. ..Right!!!

#164300 - 08/07/07 06:04 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Nah....Fran, I don't need to do that...nothing I would play would impress you...I'd be wasting my time...you ARE a confirmed Yamaha basher, you know.

I realize it must be very hard for you to admit that the Yamaha mega voices are better...but that's understandable given your loyalty to Roland.

Just imagine how great Roland's guitar mode would sound with mega voices...

All the best,

Ian

#164301 - 08/07/07 06:12 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Fran Carango Offline

Ian, no problem..

#164302 - 08/07/07 06:35 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Dnj Offline

I'd bet we'd have alot less arguments here if people would start posting ON TOPIC demos, examples, sounds & style samples etc so that you can hear as well as talk about things....this whats better then what is getting kind of old big time....at least Fran gave it a shot...if ya wanna walk the walk ...then by all means talk the talk my friends......talk alone is cheap. On top of that in a real live pro situation
"WITHIN THE MIX" all this Mega /Sa Crap dont mount up to a hill of beans.
Roland is Roland ....Yamaha is Yamaha....buy it, play it, enjoy it but please stop the BEST stuff..I'd rather hear people play & make judgements if I enjoy what I hear then what they are playing

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-07-2007).]

#164303 - 08/07/07 06:52 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

PS... BTW, Fran does know everything about Rolands

But he doesn't know everything about Yamaha which is why he shouldn't continue speaking of how trashy they are.

We have all heard it and it still goes on. Fran Carango’s endless posts of how superior his G70 is over all other boards. The far superior sound quality (live in your face), better than Yamaha bla bla.

He owns a Mediastation, a G70, lots of other hi-tech gear and the best he has to show for it are tinny midi files that sound like the standard sound interface on an AWE sound blaster card.
Simple cheesy drum patterns which have no velocity switch, a tinny electric guitar or an EP voice which he plays for the leads. Absolute fundamental Playing “skills” in realtime with the right hand.

So I have a question: why all this hitech gear for such simple fundamental music? All you need is a Casio really…

Its so easy to sit back and bag out everything and claim you have the best n greatest, you sure sound like you know what your talking about. But the proof is in the pudding. You got nothing!

A member (Diki) puts up a post asking a genuine inquisitive question about linking his G70 keyboard with a Yamaha sound engine for the guitar voices and instead of offering any advice on track with his query the best Fran can do is basically tell him he’s wasting his time. What a friendly informative educated piece of advice!

Diki I have heard both Roland’s guitar mode and Yamaha mega guitars, I use guitar strums so much as I play a large amount of acoustic rock and Latin styles. (Maybe I do know what I am talking about here since I actually USE the guitars voices in my playing!!!)

I hope everyone else can see this because I surly can and so many other members who have left this forum saw it aswell…

I truly believe a large percentage of posts that are posted on this “general arranger forum” are never on topic nor are they informative in any way about Arranger keybaords. Its more a like social club for taunts and jokes towards other members.

It’s a shame though because there really are a lot of smart experienced members who do have a lot of genuine information to share, but logging on and seeing half the crap that gets posted really insults their intelligence which I don’t blame them. Another thing it all comes down to which I was I got in trouble for mentioning a few months back – people have too much time on their hands or simply come here to get the attention they cannot find in real life face to face!

Over the past few weeks I have been visiting the Motifator forum and posting there since I now own a Motif XS. Friendly people, very knowledgeable, extremely helpful and un-biased on their opinions.
How a forum really should be!!! Most of the posts are on topic and to the point. If you want to be a tosser and hijack posts - go and join a chatroom on MSN!

To all those members who really are genuine and decent please don’t take offense to this I know who you are and believe me im sorry be quite blunt but I am really only talking about a small portion of the forum who are absolutely KILLING IT! – one can only hope that one day someone will do something about it…

This post will probably get me banned but that’s the risk I am willing to take to voice my onion on this.

Cheers!

Nick

#164304 - 08/07/07 07:40 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Fran Carango Offline

Nick, I answered my experience using a Roland arranger with both Roland and Yamaha products...in my first post..

The rest of my responses were answering others specific questions..

As for your outburst...it has no merit, and doesn't phase me at all...

We will miss you as you move on..say hello to other "move ons"...

Why does it seem to be a lot of two faced people here...Human nature, I guess...

No matter what anyone says...we will all play what we want....

#164305 - 08/08/07 10:53 AM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Or, if Fran had his way, we would all play what HE wants

Sorry, Fran, but, as I explained earlier, I am NOT interested in guitars you PLAY, whether it is Guitar Mode or straight playing. I need a good sounding guitar strum and picking patterns in arranger mode, as accompaniment to what I am playing.

As such, Guitar Mode is useless (it can't be driven from the arranger section), and your experiences with Mega voices (if you tried to PLAY them) may well lead you to believe they are not good. But the way the arranger adds in all the extra performance noises, mutes, etc., push it a LONG way past Roland's acoustic guitars.

PLEASE don't forget, I've had my G70 a LOT longer than you. If there were any picking and strumming in there that beat the Yamaha's, I'd have found it by now OTOH, the T2 and S900 are packed with styles that have guitar parts sound very realistic. Remember, I play with an acoustic guitarist every day. I KNOW what they are supposed to sound like. And the Roland, good though they are, are not as good as the Yamaha's.

BUT... the Yamaha's guitars are not enough to make me want to jump ship, just add them, But it all seems a little moot, as Roland don't allow more than one non-transposing track.

I've been using the G70 as my SOLE gigging keyboard for a lot longer than you, Fran, and use it in a MUCH wider range of applications, in a much wider choice of modes (arranger, SMF, LH Bass with arr drums, straight keyboard with full band, straight keyboard solo, etc., etc.), so PERHAPS you can appreciate that someone else may have a different set of priorities than you. After all, if I wanted to sound JUST like you, I wouldn't need anything better. In fact, I could use MP3s of my old gear and a one handed strap-on...

But I don't.....

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online