SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#164286 - 08/07/07 08:28 AM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I hope you can get the Yammie to work with your Roland, Diki...it would make a nice combination.

Good luck.

Ian

#164287 - 08/07/07 08:57 AM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Diki,
I agree with Fran, are you using that Guitar Mode? Roland's Guitar Mode is very impressive. I think you'd get much more realistic guitar playing using that feature.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#164288 - 08/07/07 09:08 AM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, Nick, it looks like you have shot me down...!

Despite many pleas for it over several years, Roland still insist on only allowing one 'drum track' in the style section, a track that does NOT transpose as you change chords.

You CAN do it to the SMF sequencer, which makes the omission in the style section even MORE annoying Oh, well.... Back to the drawing board.

Fran, do you actually PLAY the guitar mode 'live'? I find it to be a reasonably useful tool for making an SMF (which I understand the vast majority of your show is based around), but until it is integrated with the Style section (and THAT is going to take Roland coming up with a non-transposing track, as well!) it is little more than a gimmick for arranger use.

And, as much as I love my G70, I have yet to hear ANYTHING in it's soundset that comes even close to Yamaha's Mega voice guitars, when programmed correctly. Drums, pianos, organs, synth sounds, the G70 has a definite edge, IMO, over the Yamaha's. But the extra performance abilities of the Mega voices (and the fact that you CAN use them in a style) gives this one area a strong nod to the Yamaha's.

I am not talking about guitar sounds you PLAY (although, even in that area, the SA acoustic guitars sound better, IMO), but style guitar accompaniment... Fortunately, I play with a real guitarist, so most of the time, this is not an important consideration, but this winter I intend to play a few more solo gigs, and am going to miss him a LOT when faced with the G70's average acoustic and electric guitar patterns.

Fran, for someone that uses several different arrangers, including the MS, you seem a strange choice of member to advise me to not use anything else and stick solely to my G70...!

#164289 - 08/07/07 10:01 AM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
Please remember that most of the Guitars you here in the Tyros 2 styles, have been played by a real guitarist using a Midi pickup, and this is another reason why they sound so real. (This technique also applies to other instruments used in the styles)

Bill

#164290 - 08/07/07 10:56 AM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Diki Offline

This is true, abacus, but Roland (and several others) do the same thing on some styles. But if you take a Yamaha style, and convert it to Roland (or whatever) you have to remove all the Mega information controls (they have no equivalent in Roland) for things like pick noise, chord damping (this one is especially important - it sounds completely different to just stopping the note with a note-off), body knocks, etc..

The end result is a loss of the realism that the original Mega style had. You still have the notes, but the other stuff is gone. If a simple conversion of the notes where all that was necessary, all would be fine. But there is a LOT more to a guitar performance than just the notes... Although they may have STARTED work on those Mega style guitar parts using MIDI guitars, all the rest of the Mega information was added afterwards in editing...

#164291 - 08/07/07 12:18 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki, it is reasonable to listen to me...because I am right

When I sold my G1000..should have answered your question...The G70 is my only primary choice...I use other boards because I can

I have fooled with the arranger record and the Guitar mode...it is very realistic and not that hard to use...

I will only work solo with the G70..

The MS will work fine with the band..

The E-600 has a new owner..[this will force me to use the G70].....

Maybe the new owner will come forward and confirm what a great board the E-600 was/is..

I really am too comfortable with 76 keys to go back to 61..

#164292 - 08/07/07 12:39 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Diki, it is reasonable to listen to me...because I am right
I have fooled with the arranger record and the Guitar mode...it is very realistic and not that hard to use...

Maybe the new owner will come forward and confirm what a great board the E-600 was/is..

I knew breakfast today would cost me
Yes that new owner is quite happy with the little known about Roland E600
Although I wouldn't part with my beloved Ketron SD1+....for my everyday stage performances....I was very surprised at the great sound of the E600 & the many many useful on board features like Touch screen, speakers Mic/Voc harmony, chord seq,orchestrator & So much more making this KB a very nice needed backup....

Thanx Fran

PS... BTW, Fran does know everything about Rolands

#164293 - 08/07/07 01:26 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Diki Offline

I would sure love to hear Fran post something with an arranger guitar part that rivals the T2...

Oh, that's right. He doesn't use arrangers much (by his own admission - the vast majority of stuff is MP3s or SMFs).

But he IS right... all the time. Day or night.

#164294 - 08/07/07 03:18 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Fran Carango Offline

Here Diki..unrehearsed recorded on laptop..
http://download.yousendit.com/2428DAEF4713A981

#164295 - 08/07/07 03:31 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Fran Carango Offline

BTW: Iam right about the G70........and you!!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online