SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#164276 - 08/06/07 03:01 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks bud...you're all class.

Ian

#164277 - 08/06/07 03:07 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Diki,

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Glad to see you are open minded about getting the right sounds...hope you get some answers.

Ian

#164278 - 08/06/07 04:27 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Diki i think the ultimate combo is a tyros 2 with a Roland or Yamaha Motif module for the live drum kits...

seeing i wanted it in one board i went the Motif XS but now i lack arranger features which really does not bother me.

The G70 has an awesome all round sound but i think that the Tyros 2 has better lead voices in alot of the sound categories (S.ART).

It would be a deadly combo! good luck!

Nick

#164279 - 08/06/07 05:16 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hey diki,
fwiw, i agree with nick...get yourself a motif es rack... better sounds,(plus hundreds of way more interesting ones too!!)than the tyros (imo!) the way yamaha have really tweaked out the sounds on the es using the 8 available dual insert effects (ie you can have dual insertion efects AND the system effects running on up to eight midi channels) is amazing...
dennis

#164280 - 08/06/07 09:48 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So.... Other than the usual partisanship, not much so far in actual response to my questions about the Mega voice system.

What a storm in a teacup As anyone who had actually READ my post would understand (rather than read INTO it their own agenda) all I want to do is add some Mega voice sounds to my G70. Jump ship? Hardly...

I am firmly committed to the Roland G70 until something comes out that is better in overall 'live-ness' of sound, 'live-ness' of styles, 'pro' quality keybed and construction and adds a Chord Sequencer (!). But even I am prepared to admit there are sounds in other arrangers or synths that can be better than the G70's. On the other hand, there are things in the G70 that eclipse some of their sounds, too (and SOME of you might even be open-minded enough to admit that, too!). There's NO one 'do it all' arranger, IMO (or I'd have it already!).

But, IMO, Yamaha's Mega voices are the best 'real' sounding guitars I've heard, so far, and I'd simply like to ADD them to the G70. A MotifXS Rack (or ES Rack if they don't hurry up and release it soon) would be ideal, but I am having trouble getting solid information about how the technology works, and whether it is possible to trigger it from a Roland arranger.

So, one more time (maestro, please!), does anyone have any REAL information about linking the two?

miden and NickG... any experience using the Mega voices? I don't care too much about the insertion effects until I am sure the Mega stuff can be triggered by my Roland...

#164281 - 08/06/07 10:02 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Nick G Offline

Diki i use mega voices all the time, the strumming guitars are awesome and they are so easy to use.

i am positive you would be able to record the midi data from a mega voice channel into a G70 Style/Song channel/track and then use the G70's MIDI out to trigger off a mega voice patch on a Yamaha module whether it be a tyros/psr or Motif Rack.

as for configuration, of coarse at first it is probably going to be a headache just like most things but once its setup you wont have to touch it again...

the keyboard player in my brother's band uses a Kurzwell Stage Piano with a Korg Sound module and it works perfectly.

I would suggest trial out this setup using a Motif ES rack unit...

i can send you a track of Mega Voice midi data to record into your G70. u will then need to see if you can go to a local dealer and ask them if they will let u plug in one of their ES racks into your G70 to test this. i am sure they will let you do this.

good luck

Nick

#164282 - 08/06/07 10:11 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thanks, Nick... Yes, please send me some Mega MIDI tracks (I'll look at them in Cubase) and I should be able to tell right there whether the style section of the G70 can handle the codes.

Alright! Now we're getting somewhere!

#164283 - 08/06/07 10:19 PM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Nick G Offline

Will do, theres not really any special "codes" of such, to trigger off the fret slides and board taps they are just at different octaves of the voice's sample range...

what you will need to do is use 2 tracks for 1 mega voice...

in one track u have all the notes which u need to transpose as you change chords. On the second track u use the notes in the upper octaves that you don’t want transposed because these are the element noises of the guitar body. In the Yamaha u can have all this on one track and it is smart so it doesn’t transpose the element noises in the higher octaves. Unless… with the Roland u can assign certain octaves to NOT transpose with chord changes…

#164284 - 08/07/07 12:12 AM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
A lot of the voices also use multiple velocity layers to get an accurate sound, so you will need to match these up as well otherwise it sounds really weird.
Hope this helps

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 08-07-2007).]

#164285 - 08/07/07 07:35 AM Re: Anyone tried integrating Roland and Yamaha?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki, have you tried to use Guitar mode on the G70?

I am getting use to it, and I think the results are on par with what I hear from any Yamaha...

Also the nylon/steel string guitar patch, has enough velocity switching to use instead of Yamaha sounds..

If you think these Yamaha sounds are going to sound good with the arranger parts...you are going to be unpleasantly surprised..

With very little edited I find I like the guitars on the G70...and I know they play correct..

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online