SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#161216 - 08/03/05 04:57 AM Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
What do you think about Logitech z2300 2.1 system as studio monitors? New to recording, I've seen it said, "Don't use headphones, use monitors only." I can't buy any monitors and I already have z2300's.

If you find any favor with them for this purpose, what about the sub cranking out the bass? Would this be too unrealistic or make it better. Should I turn bass way down? I don't know anything about studio monitors. Seems I read something about you want them to produce everything flat?

Good monitors, seems they are about $1,000 a pair.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#161217 - 08/03/05 06:03 AM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
Roel Offline

I've not seen/heard them, but it seems Logitech knows how to build good speaker systems.... so why not use them as monitors ?

Just line them up in your studio, play your favorite Audio-CD through the Logitechs, make some EQ-adjustments (when needed).... ready !

#161218 - 08/03/05 06:51 AM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
Dnj Offline

I wouldnt do that....
that system has hardly any MID RANGE vs decent studio monitors....EQ mix settings will be way off to the NORMAL Listener on a full range home sound system.
BTW what do you actually want to do regarding these recordings?

#161219 - 08/03/05 07:03 AM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

BTW what do you actually want to do regarding these recordings?

For pitching original songs and if I get to where I can record well enough, making my own indie c.d.'s for sale... original music. I are a songwriter.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#161220 - 08/03/05 07:37 AM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I do agree with DNJ, but you have them (z2300)
why not give them a try? They are not the best for recording--and you should use a flat response--but give them a try, you'll never know until.

John C.

#161221 - 08/03/05 07:53 AM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I only use them for playback to augment the bass in the keyboards. I would never consider using them to record.
Bebop

#161222 - 08/03/05 08:00 AM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

A recording monitor's job is to reproduce the sound of a recording exactly. This is what the Logitechs cannot do.

The Logitechs have lots of tone-enhancing circuitry intended to make anything you run through them sound good, as do many state-of- the-art sound systems these days. They can cover up problems in your mix. What you need a monitor for is to reproduce everything accurately so if there are problems you can hear them and fix them.

Headphones can work to help find problems, but are not suitable for balancing the final mix.

#161223 - 08/03/05 09:36 AM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
Roel Offline

As far as I know the actual recording is done by microphones and/or line-inputs through mixers. Speakers do NOT record they only produce sound ... every type more or less 'colored'

I heard many recordings that were finalized on top-range speakers sounding not OK on ordinary home-systems.
Other songs mastered on cheaper speakers (e.g. NS10 Yammies) sounded very good.

Flatfoot:
I did not know these speakers have built-in enhancement circuits. Do you have an idea what types ?

#161224 - 08/03/05 10:27 AM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

>>>> Other songs mastered on cheaper speakers (e.g. NS10 Yammies) sounded very good.>>>>>

So as part of the monitoring process, the product must be auditioned on a variety of speakers, icluding cheap ones. Listen on a walkman, a boombox, on you home stereo, in the car. It is often surprising that a mix that sound great in the studio does not work in such a real-world situation. You have to mix for all of these situations, because this is what your listeners will be using. Most big studios keep a small boombox and an automobile setup on hand for this purpose.

>>> I did not know these speakers have built-in enhancement circuits. Do you have an idea what types ? >>>>>>

The specs for these circuits are kept pretty secret. The Z5500's are labeled "THX Certified." This spec is acheived by adding circuitry that alters the sound to agree with the THX idea of what sounds good. These specs are usually licensed, and it could be that even Logitech does not know what the spec is. It may be that THX requires the inclusion of proprietary chip of unknown design. Creative, Dolby, DTS and the various game designers all have their own specs and the people who make this type of speaker work hard to make their equipment compatible with as many standards as possible.

Here is a link about THX, etc:
http://timefordvd.com/tutorial/SurroundSound.shtml

And here is an outstanding site for people new to desktop audio:
http://www.audiominds.com/

Douglas Wolfe
Sacramento

#161225 - 08/03/05 01:39 PM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Well sportsfans, when you play the PSR-3000 through the Logitech Z-2200 and Z-5500 systems using a flat EQ--they sound damned flat! Try it and you'll discover this is the case. No special enhanced sounds--just flat as a pool table.

Bill,

Try them out, then take the same CD, put it in your home stereo system again using flat EQs and I think you'll find that same sounds will be emitted from the speakers.

As for the final mix, that's a judgement call at best. Getting that perfect balance between accompaniament and vocals is quite a challenge for even seasoned professionals in fancy studio settings. This is not rocket science, but you will not be able to learn all the tricks of the recording trade in one day either--it will take some time, and you will make lots of mistakes. You'll learn from those mistakes and eventually you'll begin to get the hang of creating acceptible recordings. After a while, you'll progress to good, excellent and eventually, outstanding recordings. It just takes time and patience to get through those early stages.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online