SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#154442 - 02/25/03 12:31 PM Re: Floppy drive problem
Jaaf0 Offline

Loc: Rio de Janeiro-Brazil

But the price to import this drive from Yamaha to Brazil is very high (almost 620īs price!).
I have been trying to fix it.I have already desassembled the unit and changed rubber belt and cleaned optical sensors and heads without success.The drive motor spins and does not stop (I think it does not find the track 0).
Thanks anyway;Iīll keep trying.

#154443 - 02/25/03 02:16 PM Re: Floppy drive problem
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I checked with my computer store today and he said that he would have to special order the drive and it would be quite expensive, probably more than anyone would be willing to pay. Your best bet will likely be to either order it from Yamaha or put some feelers out on ebay.

Sorry I wasn't able to help you with your problem.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#154444 - 02/25/03 07:16 PM Re: Floppy drive problem
Jaaf0 Offline

Thanks again.My hope is that someone in this forum could have experimented some similar problem and have a good tip(s) to fix the drive.
Sorry fo my poor english...

#154445 - 02/26/03 01:01 AM Re: Floppy drive problem
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I don't know if I've explained this before on this forum, but the 720 / 1.44 floppy disc question is not as simple as taping up the hole. The physical characteristics of the magnetic medium are different. A 1.44 disc formatted by and used in a 720 floppy disc drive will be unreliable compared to the use of a proper 720 disc. As an emergency, fair enough but for day-to-day use you should use the correct format of disc.

#154446 - 02/26/03 06:57 AM Re: Floppy drive problem
Jaaf0 Offline

I know this.But my 620īs drive is not reading even the original and genuine 2DD (720K).

For all:

THE PROBLEM IS LOCATED ON FLOPPY DISK DRIVE (OR LESS PROBABLE IN FDC CHIP),NOT WITH THE DISKS !

#154447 - 02/26/03 07:01 AM Re: Floppy drive problem
Bob Gelman Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Hi Jaaf,

This is your friend Bob Gelman writing. I spoke with a Yamaha Technician (at Yamaha USA) about these drives. I know people have NOT had success just putting in a substitute floppy drive that "fit" (same voltage, pins, etc.). The tech told me that the drivers of the PSR were designed for that EXACT SPECIFIC FLOPPY DRIVE that you have in your PSR. If you can find that exact drive it will work, otherwise probably not.

Given the cost of buying a drive from Yamaha, here's what I'd do. Try to find the EXACT drive on the net -- this could take quite a while, but there are probably some out there somewhere. If you are very lucky you will find one! When you do it will cost almost nothing....

In the meanwhile, you can use (this works with newer PSR's, I don't know about the 620) a program called OneManBand. This uses the MIDI I/O and a PC to load styles onto your PSR.

Ate Logo,

Bob

PS: You might want to consider buying a new (used) PSR now Jaaf. Even in Brazil, the price of a 730/630 or 740 should be not too much.

#154448 - 02/26/03 05:29 PM Re: Floppy drive problem
Jaaf0 Offline

Hi my friend Bob:

Thanks for all these information.
In fact Iīm keeping 620 because some cartridge colections that I have.
I think that it is almost impossible to find exactly this drive ,except on YAMAHA .I would like to find one on WEB but even if I find one I think shipping price will be very high.
I disaggre about used keyboard prices in Brazil.We are having high US$ value if compared with Real$( actual currency).Besides,I donīt need a new KB now,since my use is very limited (home hobby).
Iīve already tested OMB Demo;I have also inserted a link to Jos Maas page on my own 620īwebsite.
The last thing is that I do not agree with YAMAHA technicians;of course that they turns the things more complicated for us when they decide to use proprietary or rare components,but we can implement modifications.All drivers work at the same manner.All drives have the same control signals.The differences are around connector types,signal names,etc.Itīs tottaly possible co install other components if you make the necessary conversion and adaptation.But you must have this hability and skils.
thanks

#154449 - 03/15/03 05:04 PM Re: Floppy drive problem
Jaaf0 Offline

Hi people:

I have great pleasure to let you know that my 620īs disk drive is "alive" again.The problem was really the spin motor belt.The first belt that I have installed didnīt have the exact dimmensions ,so the drive was not able to recognize the right speed.I have found on WEB that this belt is also used in a similar drive assembled in old computers MSX Panasonic Turbo-R model.Since you get the right belt you have great chance to fix the drive.Iīm able to help you to find this belt.

Thanks anyway

#154450 - 03/17/03 01:24 AM Re: Floppy drive problem
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
The point about the belt is worth noting.

Is this one of those square section belts like those you get in CD drives?

#154451 - 03/17/03 06:04 AM Re: Floppy drive problem
Jaaf0 Offline

The belt that I found is very similar to original.The drive works very well.I donīt know were to find identical or similar belt around the world.If someone else needs this belt, please send E-mail to jaaf@gbl.com.br

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online