SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#154027 - 02/16/05 02:35 PM Got my new PSR-2000 today :) :) :)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Well I got my new PSR-2000 just before noon. I've been playing with it all afternoon, haven't found the need for the manual yet. I'm amazed at how easy this board is to use and how logical the OS is. I think the sounds are great. HOWEVER, as I've stated with all of Yammies arrangers (even their upperline like the 740/2000 ect (not including the 3000), they should be ashamed of themselves for putting such a weak slap bass on the PSR-2000. A keyboard of this caliber should have a better quality slap bass. This is the only sounds I find that I dislike so far. My complaint before with my PSR-550 is that it lacked basses and saxes with balls. The PSR-2000 has the growl sax, and oh my lord that sweet saprano. Talk about mouth watering sound from that sample.

The styles are good (pleased to see some good hip hop drum beats). Great to have 4 variations, fills, and mutliple intros and endings.

Speaker output as far as sound is concerned is pretty good. Nice bottem end. HOWEVER I'M CONCERNED ABOUT SOMETHING. I know this issue came up in the past with several other 2000 owners. There seems to be an audible hiss from the speakers, and it seems the speakers are very senstive to interference. I was able to cut the noise down by placing the board smack dead middle of the room Any suggestions on this? It's not so bad that it's unbearable, but it's there.

Starkeeper and Trident, I will send you both a detailed review this evening when I return from class.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-16-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#154028 - 02/16/05 02:51 PM Re: Got my new PSR-2000 today :) :) :)
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Congtatulations Squeak. Have fun. Oh yea, the sweet soprano sax is beautiful.
Compare the organ flutes on the 2K to your Casio, if you get a chance. That would be an interesting comparison.
Starkeeper

#154029 - 02/16/05 03:08 PM Re: Got my new PSR-2000 today :) :) :)
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Congratulations from me also Squeak.!! I wish you have fun with this keyboard.

As for the review, at your leisure, and don't forget the harmoniser

#154030 - 02/16/05 03:22 PM Re: Got my new PSR-2000 today :) :) :)
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
If I remember correctly there is a mic gain knob on the back of the keyboard. If so turn it down and see what happens.

Scott Langholff

#154031 - 02/16/05 03:51 PM Re: Got my new PSR-2000 today :) :) :)
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Squeak,

When the topic came up the last time, there was a post about turning off the noise gate and vocal compressor. If I recall correctly, this solved the problem for Uncle Dave. You'll find this on the mic settings page.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#154032 - 02/16/05 10:12 PM Re: Got my new PSR-2000 today :) :) :)
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"A keyboard of this caliber should have a better quality slap bass."

Layer and or split another bass voice with it, add EQ, add compression ( something ). Factory default voices ( if you dont like them ) are simply a foundation to build your own sounds with. Have to break the keyboard in to MAKE it do what you want it to. Hoping some random sound designer will drop off pleasing tonality that fits your needs out of the box on a mass produced instrument, is hoping against hope.

Hope that dint come off as insulting...as I only wish to express, your new keyboard has more potential then whats on the surface.

"some good hip hop drum beats"

If you want to beef them up even more, use your drum machine as a sound module. You could trigger the drum machine with the psr2000...or trigger the psr2000 with the drum machine. Heck even mix drums from both...

"seems the speakers are very senstive to interference."

Screw them for anything outside of random playing around...just use some headphones, external speakers. Such as whatever you home stereo system is random random random. LOL just dont put your cell phone on the keyboard and you should be fine. Went into a big thing on interference when helping bricks with some recording issues some time back.

Oh...and GRATS on your new board

#154033 - 02/17/05 06:04 AM Re: Got my new PSR-2000 today :) :) :)
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Quote:
Starkeeper and Trident, I will send you both a detailed review this evening when I return from class.

Hi Sqeak,
If possible, could you please share your detailed review with all of us. I've enjoyed your past reviews, and I know many of us would like to hear your honest comments.

By the way...Still have the Casio?

Thanks,
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#154034 - 02/17/05 06:27 AM Re: Got my new PSR-2000 today :) :) :)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Alone,
I understand about editing the voices. That's one of the reasons I bought this board. My thing is you can only edit a voice so much. The quality of the raw sample itself can really put a stopper in getting a good voice (even with editing). However last night I edited the cello and violin and made a slow cello and slow violin and man are they beautiful. I noticed the board didn't have these sounds.

I was using external speakers yesterday and of course they sounded great. However my concern grew last night when I also heard that static sound in the headphones (yikes)

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online