SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#151324 - 10/07/03 02:52 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
M.C. GATTO Offline

Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Yes I've tried the Piano on the PA-60 and its OK. Actually sounds wise, the PA-60 sounds are the same as the Triton sounds.... so you cannot beat that.
However I am well aware of the Korg pianos (as I said I own korg gear since 1989) and that their pianos usually suck. The Pa-60 has a different Piano, that they made just for the PA series, and its OK (not as good as my Yamaha p-80 digital Piano, but close).
I'm going to use this keyboard mainly for its arrangement styles rather than for its solo instruments, because I have quite a lot of other stuff that I usually use in my studio to play solo parts.

I am still VERY undecided about this choice...
and sometimes reading about keyboards does not help at all because on paper they all look good to a certain extent.
I think feeling and ear are more important that features sometimes. (and of course money too )

Arrangement style wise, I had the impression that the PSR2001 was not too much on the PRO side... the PA-60 gave me instead a more positive impression.
Also, the styles that I tried on the Yamaha sounded more directed for a PIano Bar player or for a Wedding player, rather than for a real music production.
Any thoughs on this from you guys?

let me know.
by the way.... thanks so much for all of your input, you are really helping me a lot just by giving me your opinions.

------------------
Cheers,

M.C.GATTO

[This message has been edited by M.C. GATTO (edited 10-07-2003).]

M.C.GATTO

#151325 - 10/07/03 05:09 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
MC..

I have the PA60's big brother ( PA80 ) and the PSR2000. Each has distinctive features I like. As for the styles, for live work, the Yamaha's are a bit more generic, therefore I find that sometimes they work better for live play. Accurate emulation ( instrument sounds ) is not quite that critical here for me. Of course, my solution with the PA80 us to turn some of the instrument parts off.

In the studio, for me the quality of sounds and effects of the style instruments favors the PA80. I wouldn't use many of the Yamaha styles here, and really some of the style parts don't sound very convincing in my ears.

I don't use the internal sequencers very much in either, but I do use the pattern sequncers in both. I find the PA80's to be very complete and easy to use, but the 2000's has better note resolution and it allows for midi sync when recording. This is a major shortfall of the PA80s pattern sequencer. The external clock function does not work with the pattern sequencer.

I like the panel voices on both. The PA80 allows for much deeper patch editing, so it is clearly my choice for any homemade synth patches. The PA80 also allows for 3 panel voices ( on right hand split ) to be used in a combination, the PSR2k only 2. I like the effects overall better on the PA80, but the 2k has an advantage in the way they are applied. The PSR keeps chorus and reverb effects seperate from the insertion effects. The PA80- allows for 4 insertion efffects, but only two can be used in a panel voice or combi, the other 2 go to the style section. Of course, many of the effects are combined on the PA80 ( EG,.. chorus and distortion = 1 effect ), but I like the actual layout of the effects better on the 2k.

Voices are a tossup.. I like the drums and bass better on the PA80. Ditto the organs. Acoustic and electric guitars are good on both, except I think the 2k's distorted guitars are horrible. The PA80 allows for a "key off" effect, so you can use a key click or pick noise and put it into a patch and it will sound when pressure is released from the key. Makes for some very nice ac guitar emulations. I like the 2k's ac pianos better, but the PA80s aren't bad. I like the PA80's electric pianos better. Wind / horn instruments are good on both, but the 2k has a few I like a little better.

Key feel makes a big differnece to me and clearly I like the korgs better here. I find the PSR line to have very flimsy and generally poor feeling keys.

It's almost apples and oranges here. Both the PA80 / 60 and PSR 2k 2100 have a means to the same end... to be excellent arranger board. The approach is just somewhat different between the two manufacturers, and really, you'll need to try them for yourself to see which approach you prefer.

AJ

#151326 - 10/09/03 03:24 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
M.C. GATTO Offline

Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Ho All,
Yesterday I went again and tried the three boards, the KN2400/2600 the PSR2100 and the Korg PA-60.

the Yahama PSR2100 its out of the race the first impressions I had, were just confirmed. The look and feel of the keyboard is not convincing either, at least to my ears.
The only great feature I'll miss is the Vocal Harmonizer... but that is not the main reason why I'm buying an arranger. (however I must admit its a really nice one )

The KN-2400 and KN2600 sounds nice. Number of styles are a lot (more than the PSR and the PA-60) but on all thoise styles only a few are very interesting. I mean, they seem to be almost the replica of my old KN-3000, so don't add any new aspect to my ideas.

However, the fact that I can read and play no problem the Kn-3000 songs that I have, it's a plus.

The Korg... I found it superior to the other two in a few aspects. Mainly the sounds and arrangements are more interesting to me. And I know this is a personal feeling, but overall it sounds more "Pro" then the other two. The keys of the keyboard feel also better under my hands. Even if the KN's are as good as the PA=60.

To tell you the truth, I am not convinced like 100% yet. yes, the korg is great, but not as great as I wanted to be.
But looks like there is no other alternative riht now, at least not in the same range of price.

Please.......... tell me what to do

------------------
Cheers,

M.C.GATTO

M.C.GATTO

#151327 - 10/09/03 03:48 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Bluebird Offline

perhaps, wait

or buy an used or second hand kb...

I would go to kb what I had better feeling.
Specially, I would go to the kb with I were better with its philosophy.
And I would get special atention to sounds and styles.
To buy a kb I don't like its sounds and styles... is not for me.

#151328 - 10/09/03 05:02 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Bluezplayer Offline

You might find a used PA80 if you search enough, for just a little more than a new PA60. The PA80 has a vocal board option ( it isn't built in ). The harmonizer sounds very good in it, but doesn't have the presets and some of the options that the PSR2100's has, so you have to set it to where you like.

I liked the 2000 I have a lot, especially the harmonizer and the multipads, but after months of playing with it, I still can't adjust to the key feel the way I'd like to, so it is going going....

#151329 - 10/09/03 05:37 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Everyone needs to know that the sound engine(module) whatever in the KN2600 is not the same module as the KN7000. The KN2600 I played yesterday didn't sound anywhere near as good as the KN7000 sounds. The sounds of the PA 60 where very competitive to the KN7000 for my taste.

If only the Korg dummies would put the sequencer of the i30, the sounds of the PA80 and a modern harmonizer in a new model, everyone's problems would be solved for a few months. Ha Ha

#151330 - 10/09/03 06:49 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Bluezplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:

If only the Korg dummies would put the sequencer of the i30, the sounds of the PA80 and a modern harmonizer in a new model, everyone's problems would be solved for a few months. Ha Ha

Hmmmm. Maybe the the PA1x is it ? We can hope can't we ?
Won't matter much for me though. I'll stick with the PA80 for at least another year or two. Just bought a Motif ES and next item on the list is Reason software synth. No PA1x in this budget, for a while anyway.

Cheers,

AJ

#151331 - 10/10/03 03:19 AM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Beakybird Offline

Get the PSR2100 and also purchase the HDM2 at http://www.2av.com.ua/indexe.htm. Then you can get many properties of a hard drive on your PSR2100 for just $200 - still $300 less than the KN2600.

Beakybird

#151332 - 10/10/03 04:47 AM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Bluebird Offline

It is curious.

Why in U.S.A. KN2600 is priced 400 $ more than PSR2100, and here, in Europe, both have similar prices??.
You may see european prices (Germany) at:
http://www.digitalpianoshop.de/index.html

#151333 - 10/10/03 04:58 AM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
"KORG IS KING" for sequencing

To clarify Boos statement:
The Backing sequencer in the Korgs works different from other brands. In truth, you are only "triggering" a note (or notes) to send to the sequencer, not the whole arranger, so polyphony is less of an issue. Also size of files.
The backing sequencer allows you to still make fill ins and adjustments after you record the song. No one else works like this to my knowledge. The full 16 track sequencer is also present in the Korgs, but they work like a conventional unit should....like all the rest.
For laying down simple arrangements, and adding a few parts over top later - the Backing sequencer is very easy, but it's not as specific as a full sequence, because you are using generic patterns as the base tracks.
Bottom line: If you like the styles....you'll love the sequences you make, and you don't need to be a drummer to program the rhythm parts.
Even a bricklayer can do it.
(atta boy Boo!)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online