MC..

I have the PA60's big brother ( PA80 ) and the PSR2000. Each has distinctive features I like. As for the styles, for live work, the Yamaha's are a bit more generic, therefore I find that sometimes they work better for live play. Accurate emulation ( instrument sounds ) is not quite that critical here for me. Of course, my solution with the PA80 us to turn some of the instrument parts off.

In the studio, for me the quality of sounds and effects of the style instruments favors the PA80. I wouldn't use many of the Yamaha styles here, and really some of the style parts don't sound very convincing in my ears.

I don't use the internal sequencers very much in either, but I do use the pattern sequncers in both. I find the PA80's to be very complete and easy to use, but the 2000's has better note resolution and it allows for midi sync when recording. This is a major shortfall of the PA80s pattern sequencer. The external clock function does not work with the pattern sequencer.

I like the panel voices on both. The PA80 allows for much deeper patch editing, so it is clearly my choice for any homemade synth patches. The PA80 also allows for 3 panel voices ( on right hand split ) to be used in a combination, the PSR2k only 2. I like the effects overall better on the PA80, but the 2k has an advantage in the way they are applied. The PSR keeps chorus and reverb effects seperate from the insertion effects. The PA80- allows for 4 insertion efffects, but only two can be used in a panel voice or combi, the other 2 go to the style section. Of course, many of the effects are combined on the PA80 ( EG,.. chorus and distortion = 1 effect ), but I like the actual layout of the effects better on the 2k.

Voices are a tossup.. I like the drums and bass better on the PA80. Ditto the organs. Acoustic and electric guitars are good on both, except I think the 2k's distorted guitars are horrible. The PA80 allows for a "key off" effect, so you can use a key click or pick noise and put it into a patch and it will sound when pressure is released from the key. Makes for some very nice ac guitar emulations. I like the 2k's ac pianos better, but the PA80s aren't bad. I like the PA80's electric pianos better. Wind / horn instruments are good on both, but the 2k has a few I like a little better.

Key feel makes a big differnece to me and clearly I like the korgs better here. I find the PSR line to have very flimsy and generally poor feeling keys.

It's almost apples and oranges here. Both the PA80 / 60 and PSR 2k 2100 have a means to the same end... to be excellent arranger board. The approach is just somewhat different between the two manufacturers, and really, you'll need to try them for yourself to see which approach you prefer.

AJ