SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#151044 - 05/06/03 12:21 PM Pop Piano Book and Continuing Chord Piano
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Does anyone have any experience with either of these books?
Matias/José, you were going to review The Pop Piano book. I'm interested in the accompaniment aspect of these books.
Starkeeper

#151045 - 05/06/03 12:59 PM Re: Pop Piano Book and Continuing Chord Piano
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Starkeeper: I own and have found the Pop Piano Book a great book which teaches you how to play the piano in many different styles of pop piano. This book covers all the essential pop music genres:
http://www.harrisonmusic.com/book/pianobook.html

In addition to the book, I highly recommend getting either the audio CD or Midi file CD, so you can actually HEAR the samples of each pop style being played thus engraining it in your head (by ear) and then playing it on the piano. What the book does is explains the music theory behind what you're hearing to solidfy your knowledge.

If you're strictly an arranger keyboard player though, then this book may not be the book you want, as it focuses on teaching pop harmonies, bass lines, and emulating rhythmic grooves in a 'solo keyboard' playing style. Still, whether you're a solo pianist, play in a band, or on an arranger keyboard (w/auto accomp), the book (along with CD) will both improve & expand your pop piano playing abilities. I highly recommend the book. - Scott

#151046 - 05/06/03 04:25 PM Re: Pop Piano Book and Continuing Chord Piano
Anonymous
Unregistered

Starkeeper,

Yes, I promised I would review the book, but I still didn't have the time to go through it in detail. Sorry. I agree with Scott Yee's comments. I can add that it has a first section concerning harmony and rhythmic concepts for piano players. Frankly, I prefer the route of good jazz theory books, it's more complete and interesting, but of course, there are specific pop playing techniques and rhythmic concepts very well covered in this book. Section two deals with several piano styles (in great detail): pop ballad, pop-rock and hard rock, new age, funk, country, gospel...

But nothing specific for arranger keyboard players. BTW, Scott, did you find any GOOD books dealing with specific arranger keyboard
techniques and concepts? I couldn't find none.

Another interesting book is "The Contemporary Keyboardist" by John Novello. He produced three video tapes based on his book and they cover many different aspects like ear training, comping, the blues, sight reading, etc. There is a chapter with advice about the business scene, and a large chapter with interviews with well known musicians and composers like Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, etc.

I have also found a very interesting piece of software. It's an extremely well done and very complete interactive Master Class in two volumes (64 lessons, with midi files for specific practice techniques) with a canadian jazz pianist, Miles Black, that colaborated with PGMusic (Vancouver) - the guys that created Band-In-A-Box. It covers a lot of stuff, and surprisingly (once it's about jazz), some lessons address pop playing styles (piano).

-- José.

#151047 - 05/06/03 05:54 PM Re: Pop Piano Book and Continuing Chord Piano
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by matias:
BTW, Scott, did you find any GOOD books dealing with specific arranger keyboard
techniques and concepts? I couldn't find none.

hi José. There are no specific books dedicated to arranger keyboard playing techniques and concepts. I think THIS FORUM is probably the best place to come for this, and for Yamaha arrangers specifically, Joe Waters PSR Tutorial website: http://psrtutorial.com

In addition to the books José recommends, for jazz piano, I of course recommend the excellent and definitive 'Jazz Piano Book' by Mark Levine:
http://www.shermusic.com/jazzpno.htm

but maybe it's because I'm biased because he was once my piano teacher.

Perhaps even better than studying books, the best music teaching tool is listening to CDs and recordings of the music performed by the musicians we most admire, and then attempting to transcribe (notation or by ear) and play them on the piano, or on the arragner keyboard. It's amazing how much we can pick up with our ears. - Scott

#151048 - 05/06/03 07:20 PM Re: Pop Piano Book and Continuing Chord Piano
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know one superb jazz portuguese pianist that has never had formal music education, and this shouldn't be a unique case. He learned from listening, transcribing, practicing and playing with others. It's incredible.

Well, I didn't want to get into jazz books, but the "Jazz Piano Book" is indeed the main book I'm following. The most complete, down to earth (in the way it atempts to explain things), although deep book. But I've found another very original book that I highly recommend to those who want an introduction to jazz in "the easy way": http://www.tadleyewing.co.uk/ . It points to the method Scott is sugesting to music learning: the book is constantly sugesting songs to listen and has a terrific "after buy" support with lots of audio material, essential to a good understanding of the book contents. It was a good surprise and the most non-conventional "easy" jazz educational book I've found. Experienced jazz musicians will probably find it too basic, but nevertheless should appreciate the original approach.

The Master Class software I just suggested is also a good alternative to the "book study" approach. Lots of proposed exercises (with the help of midi files, integrated in the software) to practice specific techniques (eg: comping, improvisation, bass lines). It's really great to get new ideas and it should suit those who want to progress quickly without too much theory.

-- José.

#151049 - 05/07/03 07:14 AM Re: Pop Piano Book and Continuing Chord Piano
Starkeeper Offline

Thank you Scott and José for those recommendations. I own two arranger keyboards but would like to learn accompaniment, with or without the auto-accompaniment. I would like to perform in a praise and worship team that already has drums, bass, piano, pedal steel, guitar and singers, so auto-acompaniment cannot be used. They play contemporary christian music and some old hymns,
Starkeeper

#151050 - 05/07/03 10:39 AM Re: Pop Piano Book and Continuing Chord Piano
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
I always love to get book suggestions. There are so many options out there that help in finding a useful book, as noted by folks who have read the book and appreciated it, is always welcome. If anyone else can jump in and add some favorite recommendations of music books that would be useful to musicians, I will be happy to put it all together on a reference page at the psrtutorial site.

#151051 - 05/07/03 11:51 AM Re: Pop Piano Book and Continuing Chord Piano
Starkeeper Offline

For anyone interested in learning piano accompaniment I recommend "Rhythmic Patterns" from David Sprunger at Piano Lessons Unlimited. http://www.medford.net/djsprmain/musicunlimitedhomepage/index.html. You don't need to be able to read notes for this course. He teaches various patterns based on chords. Ends with applying the patterns you learned to your own arrangements. It does start at the beginning level put quickly moves to the intermediate level. Lots of free learning and pay-per-view lessons on his website.
Starkeeper

#151052 - 05/08/03 03:21 PM Re: Pop Piano Book and Continuing Chord Piano
Anonymous
Unregistered

Joe: Your site is getting better and better and it is one of my main web references. I admire your work and perseverance.

Let me add a couple of suggestions. In the last few months I have done a rather thorough research on books and video tape material that can be interesting for keyboard players. Here are some of my findings in case they can be of some help to my synthzone friends.

* Harmony Foundation for Jazz Harmonic Foundation (a Unique Method for creating chord voicings and harmonizing a melody)
* Jazz Improv - How to Play and Teach It (both) by Jimmy Amadie

These are two solid and classic theory and improvisation books by a pianist-composer and leading jazz educator.

* Salsa Guidebook for Piano & Ensemble by Rebeca Mauleón (Sher Music)

This is the "bible" of Salsa.

* The Aspiring Jazz Pianist - Debbie Denke

Debbie Denke is a jazz pianist with a "classical music" background and an admirer of Oscar Peterson. Those who listen jazz music know that Oscar's strong point is technique rather than emotinal, and not everybody will like this approach. This book has some interesting chapters, though.

--

In a different class of jazz books, the more practical ones, here are my favorite references:

* Jazz Piano Voicings for the Non-Pianist, by Mike Tracy (Jamey Aebersold Ed.)

* Jazz Keyboard Harmony, by Phil DeGreg (Jamey Aebersold Ed.)

* Voicings for Jazz Keyboard, by Frank Mantooth (Hal Leonard)

* An Introduction to Jazz Chord Voicing for Keyboard, by Bill Boyd (Hal Leonard)

--

I also found two outstanding videos (focused in jazz music). The Barry Harris Masterclass (two fantastic videos), and the Chick Corea Keyboard Workshop. And for pop music, the three videos that John Novello produced from his book "The Contemporary Pianist", are a useful study tool.

If anybody has other suggestions I'm very interested in knowing what I'm missing

-- José.

#151053 - 05/09/03 04:56 AM Re: Pop Piano Book and Continuing Chord Piano
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
For anyone interested in learning piano accompaniment I recommend "Rhythmic Patterns" from David Sprunger at Piano Lessons Unlimited. http://www.medford.net/djsprmain/musicunlimitedhomepage/index.html. You don't need to be able to read notes for this course. He teaches various patterns based on chords. Ends with applying the patterns you learned to your own arrangements. It does start at the beginning level put quickly moves to the intermediate level. Lots of free learning and pay-per-view lessons on his website.
Starkeeper

I can personally recommend David Sprunger's method. I have had a link to his website on mine for a few months now.
However, he has just come out of a serious major operation and thankfully is back on course (!). I copy here his letter to me and his subscribers.
----------
To:
Subject: Piano and Keyboard Lessons Update
Date: 02 May 2003 22:19

Hello again from PlayPianoToday.com

Now available... Click to download the first 40 minutes of
the updated >>VIDEO<< lessons from "Pattern Piano and Keyboard."

Even if you've never played before, these powerful video lessons will quickly
teach you how to play any song on the Piano or Keyboard BY EAR using the
revolutionary technique of "Rhythmic Patterns." Now with over 20,000
satisfied students, this has turned out to be the Internet's #1 method of
learning to play BY EAR!

Other resources:

Click to learn to play the blues online

Click to access more advanced Piano and Keyboard Lessons

Click to jump to the Pay-Per-View Lessons Site (This is a fantastic
resource)

Click to view all current versions of the original course titled
"Pattern Piano and Keyboard"

Letter from the author:

I've gotten quite a few emails from many of you in the last two months asking
why there have been no recent updates. Here's the deal...

Life is an amazing journey, and as such, I got quite a surprise call from the
doctor a month and a half ago. He said "David, you're not going to believe
this, but you've got colon cancer." Wow! Doesn't this kind of stuff only
happen to other people? I'm only 38, I've got a wife and four kids... what's
happening God?

Needless to say, many things have transpired since that time, including major
surgery. However, I'm now at home and feeling fantastic. Our family even went
for a 2 mile walk yesterday! The doctor called and said he's happy to report
that I am totally healed and won't need any further treatment. I am so
thankful. I'm getting used to a few new things (diet, etc.) but I GET TO
LIVE!

Here's what I've learned...

Life is precious. I knew that before, but it has become very real to me. I've
got to tell you that I was so amazed at the peace God gave me through it all.
I specifically asked my kids to pray that I wouldn't be afraid in the
operating room. There I was laying on the operating table with my arms
strapped down looking at all the surgical instruments and I thought... "I am
about to freak out!" But the freak-out never came. Instead, God gave me
incredible peace, even joy. In fact, the anesthesiologist had heard that I
was a musician and asked me to sing a song before he knocked me out! I
laughed, and sang "Jesus, lover of my soul." I sang it with all my heart. I
will never forget that experience.

By the way, the doctor said that because I had gotten a colonoscopy (the
"scope" that checks your colon) they had caught the cancer in the very
earliest stages and were able to cure me 100%. So take it from me - get the
scope if you're over 40! Don't chicken out... it could save your life.

So what about the piano lessons?

Well, I can hardly believe it, but I am feeling better than I have in years
and am getting ready to make major updates to the online piano and keyboard
lessons. Watch your email for updates within the next few weeks... in the
meantime, eat your fiber!

Just a reminder... You can download the first 40 minutes of >>VIDEO<< lessons
from "Pattern Piano and Keyboard" by clicking HERE.

Enjoy your day today... every day is precious!

David Sprunger (author)
www.PlayPianoTODAY.com

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

my mail is virus-free thanks to Norton Antivirus2002

[This message has been edited by eddiefromrotherham (edited 05-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by eddiefromrotherham (edited 05-09-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online