SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#149636 - 07/29/06 06:36 PM My Review of Yamaha YPG-525
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I spent a considerable amount of time today with the new Yamaha YPG525, and thought I'd give my opinions on the unit..... IT SUCKS! Naaaa, I'm just kidding--thought I'd throw you all for a loop, but seriously though, here are my thoughts on the keyboard:

Sound: This was really touch and go with me. I felt the L. Grand Piano was pretty nice. (keep in mind using on board speakers too). From a budget 88 key perspective I'd say it was without a doubt more than acceptable (Yammie's pianos sounds aren't my favorite, but for a budget keyboard this sound will please many). The other pianos and EP's were so so, but again considering the intended market, most will probably find them ok.

Organs: Blah, did not like them.

Strings: They were alright. Had some texture to them, but lacked any real depth in my opinion.

Brass/Reed: Well (in my opinion) I think the only two worth mentioning here are the Sweet Saprano, and Clarinet. I never really cared for the Sweet Tenor (I personally think the sounds too mushy)

Guitars: Absolutely did not do it for me--not even close. Goodness why are they still using those lifeless distorted guitars. My Roland's GM guitars sound better--my opinion of course.

Bass: Uhhh sorry-again did not tickle my pickle here. As I said about the guitars why they're still using those "dated" bass guitars today--I'll never understand. Agian my Roland's GM basses are better (my opinion of course--but would be happy to post clips of the GM bass guitars if anyone wants to judge for themselves).

Drums: No,No,No,No, for the love of all that is holy NO! How many years have they been using those drum kits now? I'm dead serious! Am I the only one who feels it's about time they updated them? Very poor in my opinion--very "canned" sounding.

Synth: Not even going to touch this area. I feel it's best I leave it alone

Styles: They weren't too bad--would without a doubt assist and delight the player--not the best, but I've certainly heard worse.

Construction: Not too bad--although I wouldn't take the chance with it on a gig. Same poor pitchbend wheel--but is more than sufficient when considering the targed market for the keyboard.

Overall: The board is clearly aimed at a specific market. However, If you currently own a DGX-505, I wouldn't upgrade. The move up would be quite small and in my opinion not worth the upgrade. The lack of midi jacks (in my opinion) is unacceptable. To assume buyers wouldn't use that was a very poor business decision.

**the screen was also nice-a little small-but still nice

I did like the action. Although not weighted the keys felt pretty good to me. If Yammie would have only inluded basic midi jacks the board would make a half decent controller.

Would I buy it..? I'd have to say no. It would not fit any of my needs. I didn't care for many of the sounds, and honestly feel it's not worth the $599 price tag.

I'd without a doubt would buy the Casio WK-8000 over this model. I wouldn't even think twice about it. Even though the WK-8000 lacks midi jacks too, considering the many options it has over the YPG-525, it's a no brainer for me. Plus the WK-8000 is $100 cheaper, and it has more features.

Well That's it... Hope I didn't tick anyone off, but my overall opinion of the YPG is I don't think it's worth the money--nor is it worth the upgrade for current DGX-505 owners. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Cheers,
Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#149637 - 07/29/06 06:40 PM Re: My Review of Yamaha YPG-525
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Great review.

Ian

#149638 - 07/29/06 11:59 PM Re: My Review of Yamaha YPG-525
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Quote:
Great review.

Ian

Squeak,
Did you really need a considerable amount of time to discover all those findings?

George.

#149639 - 07/30/06 03:37 AM Re: My Review of Yamaha YPG-525
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by George V:
Squeak,
Did you really need a considerable amount of time to discover all those findings?

George.

Pardon my interjection, George, but wouldn't a thorough review like this one, take considerable time?

Ian

#149640 - 07/30/06 06:46 AM Re: My Review of Yamaha YPG-525
squeak_D Offline

So what's a fair amount of time? Ten minutes or so? If I'm going to post a review on a keyboad, I spend a reasonable amount of time on the unit.

When I demo a keyboard I don't just listen. I listen and look--I check everything from sounds, features, and cosmetics.

I think my review was fair. I didn't say it's a bad keyboard. I personally feel the Casio WK-8000 is more of a bargain, and would also have comparable sound quality as well--given the WK-8000 has the soundset from the more recent WK lines--along with some other goodies.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#149641 - 07/30/06 09:23 AM Re: My Review of Yamaha YPG-525
George V Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Pardon my interjection, George, but wouldn't a thorough review like this one, take considerable time?

Ian

I feel your point, Ian. Squeak must have spent a considerable amount of time with the keyboard to write such a thorough review. Compare it with my review . It seems that I have spent less considerable time with the YPG-625. Squeak's review has already got 5 replies whereas mine got only 2.

Poor me! I still have a lot to learn about how to write a thorough review to a keyboard. The following list of words would have helped me alot

IT SUCKS!

The other pianos and EP's were so so

Blah, did not like them

Goodness why are they still using those lifeless distorted guitars

Uhhh sorry-again did not tickle my pickle here.

No,No,No,No, for the love of all that is holy NO!

I'm dead serious!

Not even going to touch this area. I feel it's best I leave it alone

Instead of "Same poor pitchbend wheel" I'd use "Same crappy pitchbend wheel" to preserve the style.

The trick is to use all of these words and conclude that the keyboard isn't that bad.

George

#149642 - 07/30/06 09:33 AM Re: My Review of Yamaha YPG-525
squeak_D Offline

When I said IT SUCKS.. That was followed by "Naaaa I'm just kidding". I have no idea what makes members reply to a user review and not another--it doesn't mean the review hasn't been read by many though.

I don't like sugarcoating things either. I'm upfront and honest with a review. If something makes me go "blah" then I'm going to say "blah" in my review.

I just don't see the value in this model to a seasoned player. I feel the sound quality and feature list when compared to it's competition (Casio WK-8000) doesn't hold up.

Sure we talked about who would use the extra features, but you "can't ignore", digital draw bars, voice editing, good pitchbend and modulation wheels, 100's of DSP effects, post song editing, and ability to load in new samples--all for $100 less. Plus I know the WK soundset, and I can say (in my opinion) the guitar/bass category on the WK will be miles ahead of the YPG--as well as the drum sounds. Other voices would be comparable as well.

Squeak

#149643 - 07/30/06 09:39 AM Re: My Review of Yamaha YPG-525
ianmcnll Offline

George,
I did enjoy Squeak's review quite a bit.

Some guys just have a way with words.

Ian

#149644 - 07/30/06 10:20 AM Re: My Review of Yamaha YPG-525
George V Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
George,
I did enjoy Squeak's review quite a bit.
Ian

So did I. Hope I didn't hurt Squeak with my irony. Don't get me wrong - I thing it is very annoying that Yamaha equips all keyboards in the $200-$800 with the same soundset.

Quote:
Squeak wrote:
I feel the sound quality and feature list when compared to it's competition (Casio WK-8000) doesn't hold up.
However, the Casio WK-800 has the same 32 polyphony.This is where I stop comparing features.

Regards,
George.

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 07-30-2006).]

#149645 - 07/30/06 10:46 AM Re: My Review of Yamaha YPG-525
ianmcnll Offline

George,
I agree that 32-note poly is a bit limiting...especially when 64-note is becoming more common.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online