SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#135697 - 09/12/07 05:02 AM Roland OS vs Yamaha
zuki Offline

Arranger play only: How does the G70 compare to the 3K in LIVE PLAY.

Are the registrations there to go from one song to the next?

Do the fills/variations/endings/intros (I use them all in a song) integrate (smooth) nicely during a song?

How are the big band stlyes?

Does it have an OTS link like Yamaha?

I'm thinking of my NEXT keyboard. It's either the S900 or something different.

As much as I really love the 3K, I need to move up a bit.

All thoughts welcome. I do not mind bashing or your favorite instrument remarks.

Thanks in advance,
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#135698 - 09/12/07 05:30 AM Re: Roland OS vs Yamaha
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Having owned a PSR2000 and now a G70, I would say the Yamaha styles are more animated with the backing parts making their sounds evident. The Roland styles seem more subtle and life-like. By that I mean the backround sounds are not so in-your-face but are there to support the drums and bass more than to stand out on their own -
IMO -.

If you've never (or hardly ever) played Roland styles, you'll be very pleased with some (traditional dance styles especially) and won't find enough to satisfy in others. The dynamic arranger option does offer some great user input.

In retrospect I miss some of the Yamaha styles, but when I hear them on recordings they sound thinner and more artificial than the Roland - IMO.

I think back to my old Korg iX300 and I felt then that those styles were way out front and very song specific. Except for a few that I just had to save (and still use) the Yamaha 2k styles were a vast improvement. Are the Roland styles a similar jump over the Yammies? Yes and no. I think the Roland styles sound so much better than the Yamaha, but if you are a long time Yamaha user you may pull out what hair you have left on your head playing with the Roland OS to fine tune your styles.

Hope this makes sense.

BTW, if you get interested in a G70 I still have mine and it's always for sale.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-12-2007).]

#135699 - 09/12/07 06:45 AM Re: Roland OS vs Yamaha
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-16-2007).]

#135700 - 09/12/07 12:37 PM Re: Roland OS vs Yamaha
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Are the registrations there to go from one song to the next?

Do the fills/variations/endings/intros (I use them all in a song) integrate (smooth) nicely during a song?

How are the big band stlyes?

Does it have an OTS link like Yamaha?

Yes to all the above (except the big band question - I like 'em, you'll just have to see for yourself)

Nothing short of an extended audition is going to be of much use in helping you make up your mind, I would hope, though.

And be prepared for the fact that Roland do a lot of things differently to Yamaha... No multipads, no break/fills (just break/mutes), no audio recording or playback, no speakers, and a VERY different OS.

Once you are used to it, the plusses - the 'live' sound, the toned down styles (more room for you to show what YOU can do, not the arranger!), the incredible piano and organ sounds, the amazing key-bed, the V-Drums, the touch-screen, can start to influence you.

But be prepared for a whole lot of 'Why'd they design it THIS way?' changes to your Yamaha-trained reflexes.

Oh, and make sure any G70 you audition has the OS3 styles and OS installed. Night and day to previous versions.

Take your time, and don't expect it to be ANYTHING like your Yamaha.... Good AND bad....

Have fun...

#135701 - 09/12/07 06:47 PM Re: Roland OS vs Yamaha
zuki Offline

Great feedback from you fellows - thanks. Don't know what I'll do yet.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#135702 - 09/13/07 08:34 PM Re: Roland OS vs Yamaha
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Zuki, I saw in the buy/sell section you had a budget of $1600. That will buy you an s900- which is a great ax, but you should also consider the s700, it's $600 less and only lacks the SA voices, a few less styles, and vocal harmonizer. If those are not critical, $600 is nicer in your bank or to put toward other equipment. You can't get a used G70 for $1600, but you can get a new E60. It's still 76 keys, but has speakers and is under 30 lbs and very slim- so easy to carry and move around. so for $1595, you get an advantage over the G70 in price, weight/size, speakers. It compares in many ways to the G70 (not quite as good a keybed but still much better than Korg pa800 and Yamaha) has a lot of the same sounds and styles and similar layout. it also has several disadvantages to the G70--some are lack of mic input/harmonizer, no jack for multi-pedal control, less versatility, more limited, and I'm sure others that i'm unaware of. I think for your budget these are the 3 choices: s900, s700, E60. but since the E60 has no mic input/harmonizer or SA-type voices, or multi-pedal, it compares more to the s700. Then the question is: are the 76 keys, better keybed, and Roland styles/sounds (if you prefer them) worth the $600 over the s700? and if so, do they win even up v. the s900? Hope this helps.

------------------
Miami Mo

#135703 - 09/13/07 08:44 PM Re: Roland OS vs Yamaha
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Do not forget the txt file ability of the S-900 and the usb recorder. Not necessities but added features besides the SA voices, harmonizer, and additional styles. There are probably other pluses but I don't have the comparisons in front of me.
It just kind of bothers me when someone states that the only differences are this/that, when there are many other differences that get omitted.
No offense meant to anyone.
Jim

#135704 - 09/13/07 10:30 PM Re: Roland OS vs Yamaha
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I gotta confess that, other than the keys, the S900 is a VERY hard to beat arranger at it's price point.

And you are already familiar with the 'Yamaha Way'...

Backward compatibility with everything you have already done is a STRONG plus point, zuki.

The only reason I'd counsel going to Roland is if you ADORE the sounds and styles, and can't live without them (or you need 76, which you've done OK without so far)...

But you've got to sit at one for a few hours to know that. Don't listen to ANY of us... Go and PLAY your choices, and make your mind up then!

#135705 - 09/14/07 03:33 AM Re: Roland OS vs Yamaha
zuki Offline

Diki,

On your Grateful Dead demo, did you play the G70 piano live and use a stock setting? I thought that was terrific sounding and a sound I could really use. Great tune too

zuki

#135706 - 09/14/07 06:22 AM Re: Roland OS vs Yamaha
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Quote:
Originally posted by OldNewb: It just kind of bothers me when someone states that the only differences are this/that, when there are many other differences that get omitted. No offense meant to anyone. Jim
If you mean no offense, then don't express yourself in an offensive way: "it just kind of bothers me, etc,." I wasn't aware of all the differences, so i appreciate the heads-up, which could have been made in a straightforward manner--then the "no offense" would have been unnecessary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online