SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#149351 - 11/26/05 08:31 PM Tyros 2 SA review
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Ok, I've had the Tyros for about one day - so its time to start with some reflections!

About a year ago, I bought myself a software sampler, and the best brass samples on the market. I paid $500 for the sampler, and about $600 for the samples. It was one of my most disappointing purchases ever. The samples just didn't add up to anything usable in a live setting.

I was about to bring in musicians to sample my own brass (trumpet, sax, brass) when I heard that Yamaha was about to come out with a keyboard which improved in that area - so I thought I'd wait.

I'm happy I did. Nothing I could have recorded and nothing in the sample disks I purchased came up to the usability and versatility of Yamahas SA voices.

That said, I must say that I was disappointed with the SA trumpets as they are very tinny and almost painful to listen to. However the saxes and brass are above my expectations.

Even though Yamaha did a great job, I won't hold back from what I think would have been a better use of the SA voices. Yamaha unneccessarily split the SA samples into too many voices. Instead of having one voice use after touch and another modulation for example, they could have made one voice which used BOTH after touch and modulation. They could even have triggered different samples using a foot pedal (instead of the sound effects). Like this, I could use trills as well as doits and falls in one voice - and the voice would still have many levels of touch sense to trigger more samples to boot!

I'm not complaining though. I believe that I have the best keyboard on the market, and I can live with that!

I wouldn't mind hearing some other opinions on the tinny sound of the trumpets. Does anyone else find this disturbing?

Chony

#149352 - 11/26/05 10:58 PM Re: Tyros 2 SA review
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Chony,
I don't use much the trumpets, so I cannot comment here; however, a thought arises to my mind. Why don't you layer two or even three different trumpet sounds in the right side of the keyboard? This way they wouldn't sound tiny anymore and you would end up with samples that respond to both aftertouch and modulation.

#149353 - 11/27/05 06:20 AM Re: Tyros 2 SA review
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chony,

I agree with Andrea. You could easily create the sounds you want using layering, tuning and combining the sounds in a single registration. It's not a lot of work, but you will have to take the time to explore all the aspects of the keyboard's marvelous features and the incredible things you can create with them.

Good Luck, and thanks for the review,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#149354 - 11/27/05 06:38 AM Re: Tyros 2 SA review
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Some of the T2 voices need tweaking for your personal taste. I have had very good success using the on board voice editor to tailor the voices for my purposes. You might want to take a look at that.

As far as the Trumpet goes, In a mix with other instruments, it sounds awesome. I wouldn't change a thing from my point of view.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#149355 - 11/27/05 08:13 AM Re: Tyros 2 SA review
chony Offline

I agree that the trumpet sounds amazing layered together with other sounds. As a solo voice however, I felt it was very thin and tinny (not tiny!).

I will deffinitely have to experiment with it.

#149356 - 11/27/05 01:32 PM Re: Tyros 2 SA review
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
You can get superb trumpet sounds just by using the sound editor. I'm glad Yamaha included this as it's the best and easiest software sound editor I've used for ages.
I've done about 60 sounds now with the editor so when I have a complete set I may have to post them all somewhere lol

#149357 - 11/27/05 02:26 PM Re: Tyros 2 SA review
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-28-2005).]

#149358 - 11/27/05 09:24 PM Re: Tyros 2 SA review
chony Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Craig....can you elaborate on why you had to edit so many sounds on the new T2? Juast wondering.

Thanks Craig, Pls do post them!

#149359 - 11/28/05 06:22 AM Re: Tyros 2 SA review
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-28-2005).]

Dnj, are you ok?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online