Ok, I've had the Tyros for about one day - so its time to start with some reflections!

About a year ago, I bought myself a software sampler, and the best brass samples on the market. I paid $500 for the sampler, and about $600 for the samples. It was one of my most disappointing purchases ever. The samples just didn't add up to anything usable in a live setting.

I was about to bring in musicians to sample my own brass (trumpet, sax, brass) when I heard that Yamaha was about to come out with a keyboard which improved in that area - so I thought I'd wait.

I'm happy I did. Nothing I could have recorded and nothing in the sample disks I purchased came up to the usability and versatility of Yamahas SA voices.

That said, I must say that I was disappointed with the SA trumpets as they are very tinny and almost painful to listen to. However the saxes and brass are above my expectations.

Even though Yamaha did a great job, I won't hold back from what I think would have been a better use of the SA voices. Yamaha unneccessarily split the SA samples into too many voices. Instead of having one voice use after touch and another modulation for example, they could have made one voice which used BOTH after touch and modulation. They could even have triggered different samples using a foot pedal (instead of the sound effects). Like this, I could use trills as well as doits and falls in one voice - and the voice would still have many levels of touch sense to trigger more samples to boot!

I'm not complaining though. I believe that I have the best keyboard on the market, and I can live with that!

I wouldn't mind hearing some other opinions on the tinny sound of the trumpets. Does anyone else find this disturbing?

Chony