SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#148325 - 01/18/07 01:57 PM Re: Laptop holder
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
DNJ, Don't I have it? I did. Maybe I sent to back to Gary.
DonM

#148326 - 01/18/07 02:02 PM Re: Laptop holder
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
what do you use a laptop for?

Why, a jukebox, of course !

I always used music on my breaks to set (or keep) the tempo of the room where I wanted it to stay, while I rested my voice, or ran to the bathroom.

( started with cassettes ! )

I have 5000+ audio files on the laptop that are arranged in folders according to year or style, and I play them through WinAmp ... through my kb speakers first, so I hear the proper mix.

I rarely read on stage or use a file that has no room for me to play overtop of, but on occasion, I indulge in a "production" number or two that just isn't possible with my two hands ... arranger or not.

The laptop works best for me off to the side, so it does not appear that I'm reading, or block the sight line. It's a tool, not a crutch, and I VERY often set up without it. I utilize it more fully, at weddings or larger dances, when I need the power to keep a dancefloor hopping to stuff that the arranger can't be exciting enough on.

Lately, I keep it home most of the time, because the jobs I've taken since I started teaching have been at kinder, gentler venues.

I have always been an advocate of using the right tool for the job, and sometimes, in todays dance market - the right tool, is the biggest, best arrangement that is available.

I wish I didn't have to compete with the "K" jays, or D-jays ... but it's a fact of life, here in Philly. The crowd is spoiled by technology, and though I'm no slave to it ... I certainly enjoy being it's master !

#148327 - 01/18/07 07:25 PM Re: Laptop holder
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If you are using your keyboard to make a living, use every tool available. A laptop is a valulable tool--nothing more. Mine holds thousands of lyrics files, thousands of midi files and hundreds of MP3s. If you play background music in a restaurant and you don't sing, the laptop can still be a vailuable tool for holding sheet music. It can be displayed in several forms, and you can set it up to scroll. If you happen to have a couple thousand songs in your head, including all the lyrics and chord changes, well, you're a hell of a lot better than I will ever be. I'll use whatever it takes to keep the dancefloor packed--including a laptop.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#148328 - 01/19/07 02:02 AM Re: Laptop holder
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I had an instance for the need of my laptop two weeks ago.

I was into the final set at a mostly seniors dance, when a crowd came in and started requesting fast party music. I had been playing a good mix, but they wanted line dancing like Electric Slide,YMCA,etc.

If I hadn't had party music on my laptop, there would have been a lot of angry people.

Bernie

#148329 - 01/19/07 03:22 AM Re: Laptop holder
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's not that I CAN'T play fast, dance stuff ... it's just that, I prefer NOT to play some of it. I've found that only senior crowds accept the electric slide as a live rendition. Most younger dancers are kinda snobby with some of the dance stuff, so why stir the pot? Most of those songs are not very high in content anyway ... they're just dance beats with stupid lyrics - I've had enough of that over the years.

I'd rather play the juicy, tasty stuff live, take the requests, personalize them, and switch hats to Mr DJ-guy when appropriate. That way the crowd is happy - I'm happy and I get re-booked.

I don't think there is any difference in using an audio file to augment my performance, than using a drum beat or arranger pattern. Either way - I'm the MC, I'm the tempo controller, I'm the set coordinator, party planner, cheerleader, band leader etc.

I'll use any way available to please my clients .... (except show reality TV)

#148330 - 01/19/07 03:35 AM Re: Laptop holder
Dnj Offline

I knew was going to go south fast.....purist vs dj mentality.....its almost as bad as my Kb is better then yours.
Call it what you like ....your not gonna fool anyone out there....
Thanx for your thoughts.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-19-2007).]

#148331 - 01/19/07 04:08 AM Re: Laptop holder
Dnj Offline

test

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-19-2007).]

#148332 - 01/19/07 04:21 AM Re: Laptop holder
Dnj Offline

#148333 - 01/19/07 05:15 AM Re: Laptop holder
zuki Offline

Thanks for the replies.

I found an old 2 tier x stand, but it appears a laptop on the top would block me from the customer.

I suppose I need to get with the program by utilizing technology.

Uncle Dave:

1. How do you hook up your system to hear the mp3's through the keyb speakers?

2. What sites are best for obtaining these prerecorded songs, both midi and mp3.

I play live on 2/14 for the first time in years and want it to go without a hitch.

Thanks,
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#148334 - 01/19/07 06:22 AM Re: Laptop holder
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I apologize to all for diverting the discussion about a laptop stand to an issue we've beaten to death before.

I have strong opinions about the issue, but they didn't belong here.

Sorry,

Russ

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online