SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15 >
Topic Options
#148142 - 07/09/07 03:46 AM Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Of course not...to me its all about a personal form a creating music...anyone that says otherwise will need to explain otherwise.
In this high tech world there's just too much gear out there to create music......who's right or wrong?

#148143 - 07/09/07 04:01 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Although this topic has been done to death (wish they'd bring out a new arranger so we'd have something to talk about), I'll give you the definitive answer; YES. It is your way of telling the world that you can't hack a solo piano gig.

Opinions may vary .

chas

#148144 - 07/09/07 04:26 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
And what about those who could hack a solo piano job but still choose to use arrangers or SMFs? I think the answer is a big NO. Styles, file and programs are creative tools. Just because I choose to make my music sound more like a band than a solo doesn't lessen my skills. Guitar players use drum machines and looping machines and effects; it's no different.

#148145 - 07/09/07 04:47 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
zuki Offline

No. Even though there is prerecorded music playing along, at least we are contributing in our own way, in some fashion. Depending on how much creativity one uses, it is TOTAL talent - very few can do.

Now Karaoke is a different story

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#148146 - 07/09/07 04:53 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Cassup, trust me, I was being facetious and know that there are many fine musicians on this board. But sometimes when you see a subject that has been discussed SO many times before (always without resolution), the devil just encourages you to throw something out there that's guaranteed to get a knee-jerk response. Please don't ever take me too seriously.

chas

#148147 - 07/09/07 04:56 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

BTW, on an ARRANGER KEYBOARD board, do you really expect to get any answer other than "no, it's not cheating".

chas

#148148 - 07/09/07 05:29 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy

#148149 - 07/09/07 05:31 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
BTW, on an ARRANGER KEYBOARD board, do you really expect to get any answer other than "no, it's not cheating".

chas

Oh course.....there are some who in purist circles feel anything but playing styles is cheating, faking or whatever they want to call it which is totally ridiculous especially when you analyze what is actually being done when playing an arranger KB. I do it all on stage every day play &/or sing w/styles,smf,mp3's & I laugh at naysayers .......I'm entertaining audiences with tools of the trade plain & simple for over 40 yrs....even before Arrangers where ever mainstream & will continue to do so till I drop dead on stage doing what I've always loved.
I will applaud anyone who makes a good heart felt honest effort to perform in any fashion, using any means possible so that my senses & emotions are touched somehow.....that's what it means to be a performing musician. Like I always say...
"let me hear & see what ya got baby"

------------------

Donny

“ Choose a job you Love, and you will Never have to Work a day in your life! ”

#148150 - 07/09/07 05:51 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
No, I don't see it as cheating. But to me -and I've mentioned this before- it's all about the arrangement. The best styles (and voices) in the world will still sound boring if the arrangement is boring. Styles, voices AND the song itself are tools. It's what we do with the tools that makes all the difference. Take a look at the great Big Band leaders. Most, if not all, were great arrangers and that's what made them famous. A great arrangement creates a pleasing sound.

Taike

#148151 - 07/09/07 06:02 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Taike I'll agree with you .....you can arrange all you want BUT you MUST be a good well rounded versatile Player to make it all come together ....that's what the great master Big Band Leaders did ....they first had GREAT Players assembled....Then they Arranged them into Fantastic Music & Song

#148152 - 07/09/07 06:45 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

True, Donny. I've been fortunate to have had a very good music education: theory, counterpoint, harmony and classical organ. I wasn't exactly into classical organ but it was all they had until they opened a theatre organ class. I'm happy that I had the education, though, for it taught me a lot, especially to have a very good independent LH (a must for playing counter melodies) and PD (both feet).
My main problem is that I am pretty much helpless when it comes to technology.

#148153 - 07/09/07 07:38 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Only use the arranger sparingly, and won't use anything but styles. I walk out of a restaurant or other venue if I see a laptop on the bandstand.

No statement here about what's right or wrong...just letting people know the way I handle it.

This approach might not work for different venues or players, but I've worked 51 years now as the top paid person in the area with only 9 weeks off.

Works for me!

Russ

#148154 - 07/09/07 08:36 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Only use the arranger sparingly, and won't use anything but styles. I walk out of a restaurant or other venue if I see a laptop on the bandstand.

Russ

Do you check what is being done with the laptop first, as it may be just supplying sounds (Triggered by the Midi outs of the keyboard as the artist plays the notes) from various VST instruments, and so is just expanding the sound pallet available on his keyboard.
There are many other things a laptop can do for the musician as well, so don’t assume that it is just for pre-recorded backings.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#148155 - 07/09/07 08:36 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Be true to yourself. If you feel that making music a certain way is wrong, then don't do it. As far as your audience is concerned, at least the average audience folks, they couldn't care less whether the music is Tivo-ed, midi-ed or whatever. They simply want to be entertained. Give them good music with a good arrangement, the right kind of music for the venue and audience, put your heart into it, and they'll be happy and so should you.

Glenn

#148156 - 07/09/07 09:06 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cassp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Cassup, trust me, I was being facetious and know that there are many fine musicians on this board. But sometimes when you see a subject that has been discussed SO many times before (always without resolution), the devil just encourages you to throw something out there that's guaranteed to get a knee-jerk response. Please don't ever take me too seriously.

chas

No offense taken, Chas. I love being the devil's advocate, so I understand when others do the same.

#148157 - 07/09/07 10:17 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Russ, I only use the laptop to hold lyrics files, and sometimes to play music while I'm on break. I can remember hundreds of song lyrics, but I have many hundreds for which I need a security blanket.
Back to the thread, I don't care who thinks I'm cheating or not cheating. If they are in the audience, it means I'm working and they're not!
DonM

#148158 - 07/09/07 10:25 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?

Don, I don't use a lap-top for lyrics, I just screw them up!

Oh well,

R.

#148159 - 07/09/07 10:31 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Russ,
BTW, the wedding is over, so I'll be able to install OS on the G70 and get it shipped to you in the next couple of days.
DonM

#148160 - 07/09/07 10:34 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?

Hey, Bill...really doesn't matter what they are used for...I just don't like laptops on bandstands...nothing more than that. Everyone should do what's comfortable. I do, and I avoid what I don't like. That's the good thing about getting older. You can be obnoxious as hell and no one can do a damn thing about it!

Russ

#148161 - 07/09/07 10:41 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?

Thanks, Don. No hurry. Give the kids my best. Would have played "another one bites the dust" if asked!

R.

#148162 - 07/09/07 10:53 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Do you check what is being done with the laptop first, as it may be just supplying sounds (Triggered by the Midi outs of the keyboard as the artist plays the notes) from various VST instruments, and so is just expanding the sound pallet available on his keyboard.
There are many other things a laptop can do for the musician as well, so don’t assume that it is just for pre-recorded backings.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

Good points Bill....dont judge a book by its cover

#148163 - 07/09/07 11:06 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Russ, I only use the laptop to hold lyrics files, and sometimes to play music while I'm on break. I can remember hundreds of song lyrics, but I have many hundreds for which I need a security blanket.
Back to the thread, I don't care who thinks I'm cheating or not cheating. If they are in the audience, it means I'm working and they're not!
DonM

Don you sound a little on the defensive when the LT question is asked........

I'm a multi talented entertainer....& proud of it....I can play arranger & sing my ass off with the best of them & as a pro singer will also perform with SMF & with my own MP3 backing tracks on a LAP TOP without playing at all when I go walk out into an audience to whooo the ladies singin....
Man if you ain't doing it all your missing out on some real satisfaction when you feel the charge of the Live audience up close & personal.....in the same fashion as Russ would walk out on a Laptop musician of which I could never understand...but on the other hand I would leave purists at the door & do my thing baby. Country , Disco, Rock, Latin, Ballroom, bring it ALL on Im ready for ya....with all MY Music makin Tools Oh Yeah!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-09-2007).]

#148164 - 07/09/07 11:10 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
AMEN!!!

#148165 - 07/09/07 11:31 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Fran Carango Offline

For the most part..the people that knock a laptop, are the same people that never used one...
and do not have a clue..how it can aid in a great show...
You can play just as much as you do now...Just keeps things organized..

Also allows you to tackle tunes..you couldn't possibly pull off with your two hands , and two feet..

As mentioned, not only for sequence playback, but your own backing tracks with harmony via MP3...Lyrics for us folks that can't remember..
And as Bill mentioned..it is our sound source to play better sounds than on our arranger boards[excluding my G70]

Here is another example....Last night at our new gig in a popular spot in Wildwood...we[I] had guest[unexpected], that came on stage[they asked first, but how can we say No]...
The first guy , was a fella named Valli, he seems to be popular..I think he is associated with the Four Seasons .
He came on stage with a super hot lady...carrying his own track playback unit that the young lady operates..She also controlled volumes [after I showed her the controls]..

The next guest..were the Intruders..they were great..BTW without my laptop, none of this would have been possible...None of this was planned, but this show went off like it was rehearsed..

The third act was our local doo wop group the Aquanets..They also did a great job..

Then the fun began...Valli and the Intruders did Four season stuff ..The intruders did their own spin with harmonies..

Then it was Valli, Intruders , Aquanets, and also the best trio in Wildwood[Just in Time.]

I had to mix so many mics ..I worked my butt off for 4 solid hours...

Laptops have their place...believe me..

#148166 - 07/09/07 11:38 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Fran sounds like a fun time for sure.....
If I wasnt on a gig myself last night I would have shot down for the show.....last time I sw Frankie was on the Sopranos

Fugeddabouttit !

#148167 - 07/09/07 11:44 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Isn't that what they call karaoke? backing tracks?

#148168 - 07/09/07 11:46 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

same thing Mike most of mine are customized & I can really sing .............
It all depends on the gig ....I play so many different kinds of gigs without versatility you'd be sitting home crying in your beer that you'd wish you did it all.....dont get me wrong I love a night of just playing Piano cocktail music Sinatra, Bennett, standards & slow Bossa......but I also love to power it up for a full blown 500 PP wedding with pounding disco & Rock N Roll too & everything in between like a night of Latin ballroom dancing, I love it all after all I could have a "REAL" job...... .....you better have a good bag of tricks or your Circus will have only ONE Ring instead of THREE!

#148169 - 07/09/07 11:50 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Fran Carango Offline

Mike , the backing tracks just allow you to leave the band home..where in the world would I have added any more people last night

Valli, 4 Intruders, 4 Aqunets, and 3 Just in Time...

#148170 - 07/09/07 02:20 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
mikeathome1 Offline

No,no, no, I agree with you I've been a Dj and a KJ, as well as a live musician for over 40 years, I say use whatever gets the job done.

But I laugh at the guys that use all that stuff but then say they hate karaoke or hate DJ's, it's all entertainment, and THE ENTERTAINER is the most important part of that.
I've been doing midi since before GM and before you could find them for free on the 'net. I remember buying them for 10 bucks apiece,you got a deal if you bought more. Midi hits, tran tracks.
But if I'm going out I want a live band over a midi band. (Unless Valli shows up!)
But us musicians are harder to please I guess.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 07-09-2007).]

#148171 - 07/09/07 02:22 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?

I know Don is great at what he does. I'm sure others are as well. My problem is, all of the people I've seen using a laptop use it as a crutch...couldn't play their way out of a wet paper bag. They're all style and no substance. The show's the thing, and that's not necessarily bad, but for me, there's got to be more than fluff. That may work most of the time, but not for me, ever. I won't do it and I won't listen to it. Everyone has a style and a preference. I'm not trying to sell my approach as the only correct one, but I will support my decision by comparing my work schedule and lifetime income with anyone who would like to do so. Fran, it's only my preference, but I wouldn't stay for a Frankie Vali or Do Wop act...just not interested!

Again, this is ONLY my preference. I don't want to listen to disco, country, hear banter, etc., and I won't participate either as a player or as a listener.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Russ

#148172 - 07/09/07 02:52 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

ditto!

#148173 - 07/09/07 03:08 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
BrisbaneJim Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, Queensland, Austra...
Russ, I was at a Seniors Dance the other night and noticed that the keyboard player had a laptop. She was using it to read the words of the songs that she was playing!

BrisbaneJim

#148174 - 07/09/07 04:19 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Fran Carango Offline

No Valli and no doo wop......boy I hope I don't turn into you guys when I get old..

#148175 - 07/09/07 04:22 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Fran.............I agree 500% & beyond!!

#148176 - 07/09/07 04:22 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
The advantages of using a laptop for performance are very convincing. The problem I have with having a laptop, especially if it's front and center, and whatever it's there for, is that someone's gonna come up and say "Do you have 'such and such' song in there", as he glances at the laptop. Now you're Mr. DJ.

#148177 - 07/09/07 04:40 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Whats the big deal.....say yes and play it.....Ive had people ask me you got so & so song in there when I dont use the laptop & just have the arranger KB.Unless your playing a solo acoustic instrument you'll always be a DJ or soughts plain and simple to to most people your only controlling an electronic device with buttons & keys....your not gonna fool anyone when they hear more then one instrument at time , instead be proud , do it very well, make em super happy and have fun!.

#148178 - 07/09/07 05:01 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
i have seen many keyboard DJs alternate between playing in arranger mode / midis / and then just playing MP3s etc. not an uncommon thing at all...

#148179 - 07/09/07 05:14 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Nick its all good ....
its all about making music......
its all fun to do.

#148180 - 07/09/07 05:26 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

It quite amazes me how often I read disparaging remarks about the audience.

Please stop acting like that the audience couldn't care less, has no clue and 'only' wants to be 'entertained'. If they pay for live entertainment than that's what they deserve. Granted, some may not care but you're supposed to please every paying customer.

You'd be surprised how many musicians there might be in the audience who know exactly what's going on. Don't assume that you're the only musician just because you're on stage banging on a keyboard. Don't assume that you're the only singer just because you're the one with the microphone. And don't assume that you know it all or are the best. You'd be surprised at what dormant talent there's out there.

Three times I've witnessed the guy on stage, after being heckled about his playing or singing, daring the heckler to come on stage and do a better job. Well, each time those hecklers were either far better players or singers. So, never underestimate your audience.

An entertainer with a laptop? There was a time they did without so why the need for one now? A laptop would seem abundant to me. Technology already makes making music easier. As for lyrics, a lyrics sheet is all you need.

You wouldn't want to be heckled by someone that HE or SHE can play LIVE and prove it, would you?

Taike

#148181 - 07/09/07 05:35 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

I'm a multi talented entertainer....& proud of it....I can play arranger & sing my ass off with the best of them & as a pro singer will also perform with SMF & with my own MP3 backing tracks on a LAP TOP without playing at all when I go walk out into an audience to whooo the ladies singin....

Can I get some of your self confidence pills ?

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#148182 - 07/09/07 05:36 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Nick G Offline

having a laptop makes the job alot EASIER... why carry folders and folders of lyrics pages when you can have it all on one laptop??

theres no disrespect in that. Only the people who really are living in the past and refuse to accept change and technology's advancement are the one's who have this mentality that a musician / entertainer shouldn't be using technology to assist.

your using the internet to speak your voice. why not try and become a public speaker to do it the old fashioned way?

Nick

#148183 - 07/09/07 05:49 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
It quite amazes me how often I read disparaging remarks about the audience.

Please stop acting like that the audience couldn't care less, has no clue and 'only' wants to be 'entertained'. If they pay for live entertainment than that's what they deserve. Granted, some may not care but you're supposed to please every paying customer.

You'd be surprised how many musicians there might be in the audience who know exactly what's going on. Don't assume that you're the only musician just because you're on stage banging on a keyboard. Don't assume that you're the only singer just because you're the one with the microphone. And don't assume that you know it all or are the best. You'd be surprised at what dormant talent there's out there.

Three times I've witnessed the guy on stage, after being heckled about his playing or singing, daring the heckler to come on stage and do a better job. Well, each time those hecklers were either far better players or singers. So, never underestimate your audience.

An entertainer with a laptop? There was a time they did without so why the need for one now? A laptop would seem abundant to me. Technology already makes making music easier. As for lyrics, a lyrics sheet is all you need.

You wouldn't want to be heckled by someone that HE or SHE can play LIVE and prove it, would you?

Taike

laptop is just one of the tools.....multiple keyboards, samplers, vocal boards, & everything but the kitchen sink is being used on stage every night...why use it? because its available!
yeah we did with out airplanes years agao and lights & electricity so why do we need it now? give me a brake.

#148184 - 07/09/07 05:56 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Fran Carango Offline

But Taike..who was getting paid, and who was buying the drinks to pay him..

#148185 - 07/09/07 05:56 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

A Laptop is just one of the tools.....multiple keyboards, samplers, vocal boards, & everything but the kitchen sink on the market is being used on stage every night mostly computer driven if you havnt noticed...why use it?
because its available!
yeah we did with out airplanes years ago and lights & electricity so why do we need it now? give me a break. Read the title of the thread,is it cheating? its not all about laptops.

#148186 - 07/09/07 06:13 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

Quote:

A Laptop is just one of the tools.....multiple keyboards, samplers, vocal boards, & everything but the kitchen sink on the market is being used on stage every night mostly computer driven if you havnt noticed...why use it?
because its available!
yeah we did with out airplanes years ago and lights & electricity so why do we need it now? give me a break. Read the title of the thread, its not all about laptops.

Bring it on, baby! But...no need getting upset, eh?

Uh, Donny, who plays the keyboard when you're wooing the ladies off-stage? Or do you have such long fingers? And you call that LIVE entertainment?

LIVE in my book means you play it yourself. I have nothing against styles, they are tools that come with the board.

So what if that laptop freezes or malfunctions?

Taike

#148187 - 07/09/07 06:25 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

hey taike what dont you understand ? I have repeated many times that I do it all playing live & and mixing it up with singing in so many ways, if you dont think singing is live then thats your problem .....I'm proud of it...btw, Ive yet to see or hear you offer any of your work to the SZ? let me know when that comes about then I'll continue....upset with you, dont make me laugh....just another purist attitude that I leave at the door as I said in my previous post..
gotta go now...
I got a few laptop gigs to play.

#148188 - 07/09/07 06:31 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Nick G Offline

Quote:

So what if that laptop freezes or malfunctions?

Taike

What if there is a LIVE band playing and the building has a power outage? I have seen it happen before...

#148189 - 07/09/07 08:56 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

Come on, Donny, I don't think it's necessary for you to hear me play. By the way, I play more than in just the key of C. Your knowledge about technology is beyond me, I give you that. Don't, however, think that I don't know how to play. I didn't get my degree given on a silver platter. I had to earn it! Just because I chose a different line of work doesn't mean that my talents are any less than yours. Not that I can sing worth a lick. Not every pro impresses me, you know. There are those that are pros because they're getting paid for playing and there are those that play like pros but are homeplayers only. Please don't make the word more than it implies.

You know very well that my point was that "live" should mean "live" and not faking it. I have no problem DomM or others using one for his lyrics. As for me, a sheet will do.

Nick, since you mention 'band' I assume that there's at least a guitar player. He'll just go unplugged and the show goes on. And why do you think Unplugged was so popular?

Taike

#148190 - 07/09/07 09:18 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What a storm in a teacup...

It's simple... Unless EVERYTHING the audience hears is played live, it's cheating. Arrangers, SMF's, MP3's, laptops (for music playback, not lyrics!), IT'S ALL THE SAME.

It's not cheating if you PLAY LH bass, but it is if you use an arranger or sequence.

It's not cheating if you PLAY the horn parts, but it is if you sequence them.

Rinse and repeat.

BUT.... Nowadays, the audience EXPECTS you to cheat. To the point where THEY think they can get on stage with a mike and YOUR laptop and do the show themselves! It is getting to the point where, even if you ARE playing 'live', they go 'Where's the backing tracks?'

As musicians, we need to display skills that they can't even PRETEND to do, and playing backing tracks, especially on a laptop, just plays into their hands. The more you PLAY, the more they realize you are NOT one of them. You ARE a 'musician', a 'keyboard player'. The minute you step away from the keyboard and everything doesn't grind to a halt, they (probably quite rightly) KNOW you are just karaoke. Admittedly, better than they can do it, but karaoke nonetheless.

Is this how you want to be seen?

I just feel it is far better to NEVER let them see the 'man behind the curtain'. As long as you stay firmly behind the keyboard, and visibly play as much as you can, especially ALL the solos, at least you will remain a 'keyboard player' in their eyes. But let it take over, and walk away, and they have EVERY right to assume you might have been faking the whole time. After all, it's what THEY would do...!

A lot of the mystery about music production is gone. Most people have simple loop manipulation apps on their computers, and know a LOT more about SMFs and MP3's than they used to. They understand that major acts on tour often fly in backing tracks, sometimes even lead vocals during dance numbers or throat problems. So how do we demonstrate our worth?

By doing something they CAN'T. Play... visibly, extravagantly, expressively. Don't EVER let them think it's NOT you...

And, if the venue can afford it, don't squeeze them for more money for you... get a sideman. Get two... Get a rhythm section. Turn off the machines and do it ALL 'live'. Do what you can. Or we ALL deserve to be replaced by karaoke singers. If 'cheating' IS all right, what right do we have to be scornful of karaoke? It is just the next logical step...

Doesn't apparently keep Valli up at night...

#148191 - 07/10/07 04:31 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Diki....not so.. simple fact you play an arranger kb which in itself emits more then one instrument with only one person sitting there playing it & its lumped into all the above ....& cheating is thought of by the audience plain and simple the who's playing all that music hes by himself attitude will never cease to the audiences mind....you can surly make yourself believe it, but they will not no matter how you conscrew it.....the defensiveness old school thinking that this is wrong amazes me instead of embracing it....technology changes, music changes with it like anything else....if you want to mentally block it, try to say it ain't so, twist it around to suit you mental purist comfort zone or your friends' and audience, not let it sink in that your just controlling a form of midi file by playing a style anyway that won't change anything & guess what, its gonna get more high tech & more pseudo cheating will be on the rise with every new gear design, KB concoction and player combination to make music....

next time you look at the audience ...
try to read their minds......

"Hmmmmm....is That Guy up there Cheating?"

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-10-2007).]

#148192 - 07/10/07 04:59 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
zuki Offline

Ever watch a symphony? They use laptops these days......

As I switched from arranger to straight piano on my 3K to fill a Moon River request, the requestor blurted out at the end...."but I wanted it with the band"

I took away all the stuff that hides me from the audience so they can watch my fingers move.....

It's good for the mind to memorize everything. I think this will help me in my later years..........

We are a blessed bunch that can play music....

zuki

#148193 - 07/10/07 05:07 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

We haven't heard from BIAB artists or Ipod artists yet?.....laptops are just one of the tools..there's so many more look in your catalogs. This old school train of thought will be a distant memory once we're gone & today's generation takes our shoes....we're the last of the pro cross-breeds old/new mix there's no stopping it.

#148194 - 07/10/07 05:22 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
zuki Offline

Quote:
we're the last of the pro cross-breeds old/new mix there's no stopping it.

God help us! Life is too fast paced already

zuki

#148195 - 07/10/07 05:25 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Diki, a lot of what you are saying is correct, but a lot of what Donny is saying is also correct ("as soon as the audience hears more than one instrument....."). The difference, IMO, is that Donny is more honest with his audience. In your approach, you would do everything possible to keep the audience from suspecting that something "non-live" is going on. Walking away from the keyboard is a way of saying to the audience "okay, i'm using "backing tracks" but hey, I'm here to entertain you. Although I don't personally like "cabaret" type entertainment, I believe that there are two types of audiences; one that is just there to "have a good time" (be entertained), and one that comes out specifically to hear "live music". Neither audience would be happy if they ended up in the wrong venue.

Since there are valid points to be made on both sides of the "is it cheating?" debate, the only thing we can say with any certainty is that, it is probably cheating if your intent is to deceive (and this includes lip-syncing superstars).

The downside of technology (in music) as I see it, is that it puts a lot of no-talent wannabees and pretenders in a position of being able to compete with legitimate musicians for the entertainment dollar. Couple that with a general "dumbing down" of the audience (consider "America" accepting that Antonella Barba was one of the top 10 singers in America), and what you have is musical scene that can in no way compare to the prodigious periods of the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's.

Technology, in and of itself, is not inherently bad, but can certainly be misused to the detriment of the creative process and the mastering of the fundamentals.

Me personally, I wouldn't walk across the street to hear anything other than live music (in the pure sense of the word), but that's just me and in no way demeans the "entertainer" who will freely and openly use any means necessary to entertain his audience (including bantering with the audience). Sure, it's entertainment, sometimes very good entertainment, but "it ain't music" (or music is not the primary focus).

Lastly, let's not be too adamant about pushing our point-of-view. There is usually an opposing point-of-view that is just as valid as yours. Remember, "EVERY GENERAL TRUTH IS A SPECIFIC LIE, INCLUDING THIS ONE" .

chas

#148196 - 07/10/07 05:40 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
mikeathome1 Offline

The funny thing is I agree with every one of these posts. I agree with the point and counterpoint.

#148197 - 07/10/07 06:47 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?

Chas...as usual, an outstanding analysis of a multi-element issue. And, Diki, I always admire your commitment to what you believe and the general way you approach this business.

Taike is my friend and has earned more respect than was shown here in this thread.

You three are the ones here most like me in terms of attitude, approach to the business, etc., and I always enjoy our exchanges.

And, for my friends who think that not wanting to hear 50 year old Doo Wop or Frankie Vali is an indication of being old;
that's amaising. I guess I'll have to sit back, turn on some Corine Bailey Ray and John Mayer to think about that one.

Technology is here, it's great, but should not be used as a crutch to hide lack of ability. There is more of a reason for the Donny's and Fran's of the world to use whatever they want, because they are showmen. I'm not. I'm also not an elitest, and don't look down at COMPETENT players who use whatever they want to produce the results required. Chas is right. 1/2 the audience really just wants to be entertained and doesn't care what is used to produce the results. My audience is the other half. They know the music...listen to the changes...know the writers. They are not a superior audience, but they're my audience.

Man, I appreciate them. And, believe it or not, I appreciate posters on both sides of this recurring issue.

Do whatever works for you. Don't be defensive when someone else does it differently.

And, Donny and Fran...LEARN SOME NEW MATERIAL! (just kidding, guys).

R.

#148198 - 07/10/07 08:22 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

Look at how scornful we get at those amongst us (or shown on YouTube) that even fake playing the keyboard... And yet, if you step away from the keyboard, you are inviting your audience to think that YOU are one of those!

My backing tracks (no audio, just SMFs or arranger) get stripped down to the absolute minimum that I can get away with for each song. I try to stay as lively as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! Probably at least half of them are just drums alone (I DO have a guitarist/singer), most of the rest are just bass and drums, only a few are much more than that. I try to do as much of the SMF production as I can (I have a MIDI drum kit and use drummers to provide unique drumtracks when I can) or if I use a web SMF, it is tweaked and changed as much as possible. I add a LOT of 'ghost' notes, ruffs, drags, lots of little drum things to change the mechanical nature of most web MIDI's. Basically, I work on it until it sounds 'live'.

But the main thing is to remain VERY busy (both hands!) so they don't see you relying on the track much. If you 'walk away' too often, you invite them to believe it is ALL backing tracks. This is just my opinion, yada, yada yada, but it seems logical, to me, anyway

Musicians, playing music. THAT is what my audience wants to hear. If they want a pre-canned show, they go to Disney!

#148199 - 07/10/07 08:34 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Spin, Spin, Spin, it all you want ........it boils down to much of what has been discussed previously. Multi-talent is just what it means....you can just Sing, Play, DJ, or a combination of many different things at once....heck sometimes even though I can play live KB all night I'll just get up play Timbales or Conga or even shake just a Maraca Egg while I sing to mix it up...when needed for the venue...or maybe go out into the dance floor and put a Chicken Hat on an audience member while the Chix Song is playing too...then run back on stage to play the next song on the arranger....
I do it all, always will, & have fun doing it too FOR EVERYONE out there young & Old !

------------------

Donny

“ Choose a job you Love, and you will Never have to Work a day in your life! ”

#148200 - 07/10/07 08:35 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

So who was it that said, "you can't be just a little bit pregnant"?

#148201 - 07/10/07 11:49 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?

I think Donny just hit on the real issue. If I EVER found myself out in the audience putting a chicken hat on someone, the embarrasment level would be so high that the origin of the background sound (or whether I was naked or not) wouldn't matter. This kind of act would empty out EVERY venue I play. Actually, the act would be manually ejected. It's just the difference, as Chas has pointed out, between audiences and expectations. In the kind of situation Donny describes, anything that works is fine. For an awards dinner for the president of a state university who happens to be a jazz buff/historian, or the local Jazz Arts Foundation...no way. The chicken hat may work at an assisted living facility or nursing home...I don't play those places, at least not for money (that's a whole new issue...not for here).

Donny has found his nitch and I've found mine. The approach is drastically different, but we have both "survived and prospered". The difference is not so much laptops, sequences...whatever, but venue and style. I use what's appropriate for me and he does, too. He does whatever it takes to succeed. I have things I simply won't do...songs I won't play...venues I won't work. We've both been doing it for a lot of years. We've raised families and enjoyed or lives.

And, that's what's important.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 07-10-2007).]

#148202 - 07/10/07 12:46 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

There is no doubt Donny's show works... He remains one of our busiest performers. More strength to him.

But.... I gotta side with Russ on this one. I was born a keyboard player, and I want to die one, not a chicken impersonator...! (I weave the Chicken song into 'Jambalaya' but as a quick quote, not Howard the Duck!)

And not that there is ANYTHING wrong with it... just not my cup of tea. My audience, so far (thank God!) manages to remain entertained without props and slapschtick.

Maybe it's because we DO play as much as possible. Maybe it's because we DON'T dress up as chickens! Who knows? As long as it works... it's WAY too hot in Florida for costumes!

#148203 - 07/10/07 01:05 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Russ & Diki sorry dont kid yourself in 40+ years I've played every kind of venue from Madison Square Garden doo wop shows, on tours, Cruise Ship tours to High-school all city Big Band concerts in Carnegie hall playing Sax as a kid ( yes I do play a few other things too.. , to high end Weddings, Corporate events, tiny classy supper clubs for Governors, Congressman,Politicians etc ...besides nursing homes and animal clubs & drunken freak titty bars, Beach Seaside, Picnic & Pool venues, church dances, Ballroom Dancing events & competitions....very versatile I am....making my clients very happy NO MATTER what they require I always do, even if it requires a sometimes happy dance involving Chickenhat ONLy when the need arises, Alley cats, and sexy Macarena girls in a long conga line, having fun with little kids too,......anyone who wants to sit in a corner of some club and just play like the wallpaper that's OK by me I've done it many times & it bores me to death ......but on the other hand I give it 500% every performance every time in anyway I need to.
Embarrassed ...? Rather happy to be alive and supporting my family as Pro Musician & Entertainer.

#148204 - 07/10/07 01:23 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

I understand where you are coming from, Donny. Like you, I've covered a huge range of different musical gigs and situations (and have had my share of embarrassing band costumes!), but please don't assume that just because we are NOT doing the full MC entertainer route, that we are sitting there like wallpaper, either!

It's just as easy to make false assumptions about others' gigs that you haven't seen, as it is for others to misunderstand yours...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 07-10-2007).]

#148205 - 07/10/07 01:37 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?

Donny, knock yourself out, man. Just don't expect a lot of respect in certain circles.

That probably doesn't matter to you, and that's good!

R.

#148206 - 07/10/07 01:44 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

If i'm a talented, established, architect and someone asked me to design an outhouse, I ain't doing it. If my family's going hungry, they're just going to have to suck it up.

chas

#148207 - 07/10/07 02:11 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
zuki Offline

Quote:
...or maybe go out into the dance floor and put a Chicken Hat on an audience member while the Chix Song is playing too...

Looks like you ruffled some feathers on this comment

zuki

#148208 - 07/10/07 05:49 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Looks like you ruffled some feathers on this comment

zuki

I wouldn't wanna exist in a boring world when life is too short......if I can create a tear in someones eye or a smile on a cancer victims face I will do it as well as make a veteran stand and cheer that's what I do my friends!!....I'm done with replies on this topic....too exhausting to keep the repetitiveness going.....gotta rest up for another busy week.....but godspeed to y'all in your musical journeys.

PS if anyone is interested:
http://www.chickenhats.com/Chickenhats.htm

#148209 - 07/10/07 08:22 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
I'm done with replies on this topic....

Funny, because you were the topic starter...

#148210 - 07/10/07 08:24 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

#148211 - 07/10/07 08:34 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Nick G Offline

The King has the final word...

#148212 - 07/11/07 02:55 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
The King has the final word...

But then wouldn't that make you the King, Nick? Oh wait, now it's me...I mean....What the...????

King chas (for the moment)

#148213 - 07/11/07 03:03 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Quote:
....I'm done with replies on this topic....too exhausting to keep the repetitiveness going.....

Donny, what do you expect when you answer your own question in your opening post. So, for YOU, it ended right there.

chas

#148214 - 07/11/07 09:31 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

LOL

#148215 - 07/11/07 09:51 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?

Let's show a little respect, folks...Donny's a real Pro...just ask him!

R.

#148216 - 07/11/07 12:00 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Personally, I admire Donny's attitude and open minded approach, and I wish I had more of it myself.

It's nice to see someone so enthusiastic about his music, and it's also nice to see someone brave enough to think outside the box.

I, for one, would definitely go to see one of his performances.

Way to go, Donny...you have the testicular fortitude and confidence to be able to do what you love whilst earning a living.

Ian the Impressed

------------------
Bring back the Chord Sequencer!

#148217 - 07/11/07 01:28 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Is making a recording cheating?
(you don't have to answer that!)
What I mean is: making a recording is often playing it many times and edit it untill it is right ("assembling") - in this digital era even notes are changed afterwards, like recording a midi-file and correcting notes and correct the timing. Singers are even corrected with plug-ins (auto-tune), etc.
So what IS cheating anyway.
When I play "The Love Boat" on my PSR3K, I play the melody, the chords and I programmed the counter-melodies (Multipads) plus I have to hit the multipadbuttons in time. But I did not make the accompaniment and the intro and outro - so am I a cheat?
I don't think so, but I do show that I am NOT playing during the intro and outro.
drdalet.

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 07-11-2007).]

#148218 - 07/11/07 03:52 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

Why not mute the lead parts during the intro and still keep playing?

And all I believe 'cheating' is, is giving your audience less that YOUR best. By whatever means necessary...

But using backing parts that you COULD have played, IMO, that's cheating your audience. Just play as much as you can, as well as you can, and your audience will recognize it every time...

#148219 - 07/11/07 04:11 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

As to recording 'cheating'... Well, unless you state specifically that you recorded 'live' in one take, no-one expects that.

Were Les Paul and Mary Ford 'cheating'? Was Sgt. Pepper's 'cheating'? Was Glen Gould's first Goldberg Variations 'cheating'? (THAT one is still being debated!)

I kind of feel for this issue a bit, though, because my duo sells a CD we recorded 'live' at our house gig, but because of the nature of arrangers and SMF's, I was able to record us live on several different days to an ADAT. This allowed me to fly the tracks into the computer, and line them up virtually sample accurate, because the tempos were the same each time!

So I was able to take the rhythm guitar parts from different days, and pan them out to the corners, and have double tracked rhythm guitar (when the song sounded good with it), and have a choice of different solos, from myself and my guitarist, to choose from, and pick the best one for each song, and sometimes a little doubled harmony.

Now, does this still qualify as a 'live' recording? Because every note WAS recorded live, in one go, but then assembled from the live recordings afterwards...

No easy answers, I guess, but we don't bill it as a 'live album, but we DO say it was recorded at the house gig...

But it was a neat way to do the job, and I think we're doing the next one the same way.

#148220 - 07/11/07 04:48 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
mikeathome1 Offline

Diki
Do you pay royalties on the songs you record and sell? Do you buy your midi files from the net?
I know how you feel about stealing (sampling). So with such strong opinions I would expect you to be above reproach in every aspect of your musical ethics.

#148221 - 07/11/07 11:43 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

Mike,

Diki did state that he paid his dues. Excerpt from The Sampling (copyed) Bar:

Diki quotes:

"However, my duo DOES have a CD for sale of us playing live, we sell it on the gig. Each and every tune on that CD is cleared with the copyright holders, and we pay a fee to the rights societies for the use of those tunes...."

Taike

#148222 - 07/13/07 07:20 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Rejected Idol Offline

Loc: St Paul, MN
Look folks – CHEATING is the way of the modern world. It’s called using technology to provide a marketable product which the public will accept at a cost considerably less than “the traditional thing”. For example:

- BILL CLINTON and our buddy GEORGE BUSH: Presidential speeches… they use an electronic prompter (laptop!) to read a speech someone else was paid to write ------- CHEATERS!

- Nightly News “Entertainers” ---- use teleprompters to read news stories someone else wrote ---- CHEATERS!

- Weather forecasters… stand in front of computerized screens – everything is automated…stuff they used to draw by hand on a plexiglass screen… now computerized --------- CHEATERS!

- Airline pilots: flying on autopilot 96% of the route…what used to be a brain drain is now 4 minutes on the controls to take off and 4 minutes to land ------ CHEATERS!

- Commercial jingle writers and advertising people: Use banks of prerecorded snippits to build a commercial. What used to take a couple hours and a studio band now takes 15 minutes and some pre-recorded loops ----------- CHEATERS!

- Photographers: Amateurs can buy a camera now that takes superb pictures equal to the ones the big daddies take with their $10K rigs. The paparazzi crowd has grown from a few “old pro’s” to armies of people using automated cameras to sell the big photos to Enquirer --- CHEATERS!

Guess what? The only ones complaining about the above are the ones who are upset because their (traditional) jobs may be replaced by the use of automation.

In just about any line of work these days, automation is being employed to simplify the job and produce consistently more reliable output products. I’m sure there are a couple hundred old fart pilots out there who all will say “that isn’t the way we flew airplanes”. Guess what? They are NOT flying commercially anymore either. So anyone who doesn’t accept the benefits of automation can complain all they want, but they better stand aside while the guys who use technology move out front.

I played a gig a year ago (and no – it wasn’t the ONLY gig I got all year HA HA). I noticed there were 2 fortunetellers there. There were big lines at both tables with hundreds of people waiting for their turn to have their palms read. When the gig ended, I sat down at one of the ladies’ tables. I said “how long have you been telling fortunes?” and she responded…. “about 2 hours now”. I said “You mean you’ve never done this before?” and she said “My mom is the other fortune teller and she told me stuff to say on the way over here”. Right then, a man in his 40’s in a pathetically revealing SpiderMan costume came running by with a dozen kids chasing him with plastic swords. So you see, what people want is entertainment. As unfortunate as that is to the purists, that’s all most of them want.

The big benefit of arrangers is the fact that a guy using an arranger and midi files can provide decent “full band” entertainment at a cost comparable to a single musician without the additional cost of the backup musicians. Unfortunately, the public has grown to expect more from every venue for the same price (or less) than they used to pay. And I can tell you that (unless the guy at the controls is an idiot) all but the purists in the crowd are very very happy with the sounds coming out of the arranger keyboards whether they are “played live” or using midi’s. Otherwise, why would Karaoke bars be packed every night?

My last point: When we all get old and have pacemakers put into our chests so we can wheeze a few more years out of our decrepit frames, won’t we be “CHEATERS” at that too? I mean…. If we were meant to have electronic “beat boxes” in our bodies, we’d have been borne with a bunch of access hatches. So when the doc says “I can give you a few more years with a pacemaker”…. Who among us is going to say “no thanks – it’s the real thing or nothing for me”? I profess that the big decision for us (regarding our pacemakers) will NOT be whether what we are doing is CHEATING – but whether our pacemaker should be “Yamaha or Roland”?

R/I

[This message has been edited by Rejected Idol (edited 07-13-2007).]

#148223 - 07/13/07 07:28 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
aah..a refreshing new voice..
an intelligent analysis. welcome.

------------------
Miami Mo

#148224 - 07/13/07 08:05 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

So, in other words: "I can't play worth a lick but hubby's sick and doesn't want to lose the gig (money). He told me to just shove in a midi file and pretend to play."

At least you'll have no reason to complain should you ever lose your job to this kind of performer(?).

JMHO
Taike

#148225 - 07/13/07 08:44 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Rejected Idol Offline

Taike – that sounds like a pretty stupid and very irresponsible hubby to me. To send his wife in w/MIDI files to fake playing, he must not care much about the gig and probably shouldn’t have gotten it in the first place if that’s his level of professionalism. Unless I read it wrong, this thread was not about “faking playing”, it was about using MIDI files or portions of them along w/styles on gigs. The point of my comments is that embracing technology in entertainment should be no different than using technology to provide a polished product in any other line of work.

The public wants to be entertained when they are socializing. Arranger players can fill this void if they are good at using the tools (including midi files when necessary to enhance their sound). It happens all the time and will continue to happen. And whether you want to agree or not, in the final analysis, (as sad as it is) we are all held in the same light as the Spidermen and the Fortunetellers. That is, call it 'performing' or call it 'entertaining', but we are there to satisfy the crowd, 99% of which can only relate to what they hear. If they like what they hear and you are professional, you are great. If not, you're not.

R/I

[This message has been edited by Rejected Idol (edited 07-13-2007).]

#148226 - 07/13/07 09:26 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Rejected Idol Offline

Miami Mo - Thanks Man! I don't comment on here much, but this was a lively topic so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Now, if I only knew what they paid the Fortuneteller ladies and that Spiderman...

R/I

#148227 - 07/14/07 12:28 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
So, in other words: "I can't play worth a lick but hubby's sick and doesn't want to lose the gig (money). He told me to just shove in a midi file and pretend to play."

At least you'll have no reason to complain should you ever lose your job to this kind of performer(?).

JMHO
Taike

Very Good!
Perhaps one of the more illustrative examples.

If that wife is very entertaining and is faking playing by using midi files, is that OK.
I guess from the wife and husband’s perspective because she is getting the job done.
Just imagine in the future multiply that by the nth power where instead of arranger playing and persons actually playing an instrument, the way gigs would be done is by sitting or standing behind a computer manipulating tracks and sounds to “entertain” the audience. And what if that new trend causes you to either put up your arranger or musical instrument and join the computer manipulation crowd (playing less music) or don’t play at all. At what point do you draw the line?

I think as part of the nature of humans ,we only want to be fair and moral when we are getting the short end of the stick. Or when the shoe is on the other foot. We saw this in the sampling issue.

#148228 - 07/14/07 12:43 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
The advantages of using a laptop for performance are very convincing. The problem I have with having a laptop, especially if it's front and center, and whatever it's there for, is that someone's gonna come up and say "Do you have 'such and such' song in there", as he glances at the laptop. Now you're Mr. DJ.

And what is wrong with being Mr. DJ? Just as long as you please the crowd.

#148229 - 07/14/07 01:06 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
to the genesys Offline

BTW, one of the things we should distinguish is the difference between the audience coming for live “entertainment” or live “music”.

#148230 - 07/14/07 02:57 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
BTW, one of the things we should distinguish is the difference between the audience coming for live “entertainment” or live “music”.

Exactly!

Taike

#148231 - 07/14/07 04:09 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
N9FAL Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
If cheating is expected then the question should be if midi files or BIAB is professional?

Or, getting back to the entertainer vrs. musicianship question.

I'm sure there is a necessary blending among most here, but I refuse to become an A.O.(appliance operator) by playing records, or pushing buttons on a workstation. To me, the black & white keys are more important.

Less is more. I'll cater to the more discriminating audience. A keyboard, an amp. and a mic. Play "off the cuff".

Sorry, I'm not going to play it like so and so played it and I don't do Celibration or YMCA.

#148232 - 07/14/07 04:34 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:

#148233 - 07/14/07 05:35 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Rejected Idol Offline

OK Guys. One more slant. Webster’s defines them as:

Entertaining: to divert or amuse

Performing: demonstrating a skill in fulfillment of a requirement

Now, we all know what most ads in the paper say. They say “nightly entertainment” or “live entertainment”. That sounds like “diverting or amusing” to me. I have rarely seen an ad say “performance by skilled conservatory graduate”.

In the same light, if the ads said “Tonight: Elvis Impersonator who occasionally goes into the audience wearing a chicken hat” or “Technically proficient conservatory grad”, who do you think would get the bigger crowd?

Turn on Jerry Springer (vice PBS) and you have the answer.

R/I

#148234 - 07/14/07 06:11 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rejected Idol:
OK Guys. One more slant. Webster’s defines them as:

Entertaining: to divert or amuse

Performing: demonstrating a skill in fulfillment of a requirement

Now, we all know what most ads in the paper say. They say “nightly entertainment” or “live entertainment”. That sounds like “diverting or amusing” to me. I have rarely seen an ad say “performance by skilled conservatory graduate”.

In the same light, if the ads said “Tonight: Elvis Impersonator who occasionally goes into the audience wearing a chicken hat” or “Technically proficient conservatory grad”, who do you think would get the bigger crowd?

Turn on Jerry Springer (vice PBS) and you have the answer.

R/I

Mike, the headless chicken wants its chicken hat back!
http://home.nycap.rr.com/useless/headless_chicken/

#148235 - 07/14/07 06:26 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Rejected Idol Offline

Tell you what Taeke.... you conservatory grads continue doing your things and the rest of us entertainers with our chicken hats and Jimmy Buffet tunes will keep doing our thing.... And we'll see you at the bank.

R/I

#148236 - 07/14/07 07:57 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Who the hell cares anyway ? Not me .. I do what makes ME feel comfortable, but for those times when I play out, always with the goal first and foremost that I entertain my audience.

Musical snobbery on an arranger forum of all places.. Geez.. I find that to be pretty much an oxymoron in and of itself.

I'm kinda proud that I have some "musician skills". I've worked on them to the best of my ability, pretty much to the point that, even if I might be a few notches below the top echelon, I wouldn't be embarrassed or afraid to sit in with pretty much any band on the planet.

That said, I also realize how egotistical musicians can be, me included, and I'm really trying to move just a little bit away from that, because in reality, the majority of most audiences couldn't care less, as long as we can bring something that they want to see and hear.

Personally, I very much enjoy listening to quite complex musical structures, but the majority of the folks in both my family and general circle of life do not. That's just the way it is.

Chick Corea put it in perfect perspective for me in an interview a while back. For those who may not know Chick is a phenonenal keyboard player, who writes and plays some very complex music. One night he was interviewed at a Paul Simon concert. He was absolutely gushing over Paul's work. The interviewer seemed a bit surprised and suggested that it had appeared to him that what Paul had played in his sets amounted to very simple music, but Chick stated that he himself has nowhere near the ability Paul has to write lyrics and string harmonies together. He seemed to be pretty much in awe.

I do what I do depending on the audience, and when I do occasionally get a little egotistical and feel the need to "mark my territory" ( yep it happens ), I turn off all the "junk" and let fly with some ripping solo stuff. At the same time, I could wear the chicken hat if I felt the need to...

Oh yes.. I DO bring my laptop.. always. Reason being is it's chock full of VSTi's and Sample sets, and there isn't an arranger on the planet that can make some of the lovely noises that my laptop makes.

After a couple things that nearly kicked the life out of me ( literally), I think I've begun to see what is really important in life ( at least for myself and my family anyway ) which also helps a little to at least partially let me get "over myself" , and really, I think that helps a bit to make me a happier person in general. On the other hand, each day that I wake up, mostly just because I'm still here, makes me pretty happy.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 07-14-2007).]

#148237 - 07/14/07 10:40 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Fran Carango Offline

Amen to that AJ!!!!!

#148238 - 07/14/07 11:48 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
keysvocalssax Offline

what is ironic is that I agree that anything goes if it goes,

yet I am possibly one of the least "cheating" arranger players on this site. I never use smf, never use sequencer, use only bass/drum most of the time, and the
other time divided between using an occasional bigband
horn riff or bossa guitar strum for spice, or using just the
drum and playing lh split bass, or using no arranger and
just playing full kb. I never use intros or performance pads, just outros, fills, fades..and only use 15-20 sounds.
and the biggest "cheating" I do is using the transposer a lot--which makes no difference in what things sound like.

but that's just how I like to do it. I can do what i like
because I'm semi-retired and don't gig for a living, just
for enjoyment and supplementary income. If I had to make a living at it, a lot more "cheating" would be required--no more playing standards/jazz/latin/blues/
exclusively but would have to do top 40, 70's/80's etc..
and would have to use smf, seq, full arrangements, etc.

quality is not what most people are into, or dj's would not be considered "artists"..I'm grateful for the handful left
who appreciate quality, and for those others who may
consider me "entertaining" because i play sax, sing, and
occasionally come up with a droll one-liner off the cuff.

if people accept canned music as "entertainment" they
prefer to real musical creativity, that's just the way it is,
and I find nothing wrong with those who can provide that
in an entertaining way..that's a craft that deserves respect
too, and if a dj can "scratch" a little better than the next
guy, or has a better feel for when to play what selection
than the next guy, that's a craft too..piddling as it is.

the technology cannot be ignored. but what puzzles is this, as my friend recording engineer Vince Traina (Ex-
Atlantic Records)used to ask: Mo, rcording technology keeps getter better and better, why is it that as it improves the quality of the music keeps declining in inverse ratio? (btw he said this in 1991)

#148239 - 07/14/07 06:18 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?

I think that the operative words here ate "live entertainment" and "live music". I'll certainly agree that the "cheating" question becomes moot in the area of live entertainment, and anything that works is great.

I also think that the above analysis of the impact of technology was pretty much spot on.

But, I use a digital back on a 4"x5" view camera which results in the generation f a 50 meg plus image. You can't get that on a hand-held anything. Cost: about $25 grand. Good photographers haven't been replaced with amateurs with cheap digitals. Talent rules. Same thing with automated recording equipment and performance equipment. There are people working in both photography and music who couldn't come close to working years ago, but they really don't threaten the folks who have the talent and have learned to enhance their work with technology, rather than using it as a crutch.

All post on page three have been well thought out and worth looking at. These are reall industry issues, and each of us has to decide where in the spectrum of possibilities we are, and how to make the right decisions to get us to where we want to be.

We all have the right to our opinions, which should be presented as the right thing(s) for us, as long as we don't disrespect those of different views and approaches.

Let's continue to discuss real issues using the reasoning shown in the last 10 or so posts.

R.

#148240 - 07/14/07 06:30 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cassp Offline

Cheating? If you can figure out how some of these new fangled arrangers work, that sure can't be cheating. Some of that stuff takes as much, if not more skill and/or talent than reading music and making the keys sounds like something recognizeable. I would only consider SMFs as cheating if you were standing there pretending to play to convince someone that you were playing.

I'm #98 - let's hit 100 !

#148241 - 07/15/07 08:03 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

I think many of you in the 'entertainer at any cost' camp is ignoring the fact that most people DO want to be entertained by a 'real' musician. Let's face it, if mere 'entertainment' with no skill on the part of the 'entertainer' other than amusing the audience WERE what people really want, there would be no live music at all. Anywhere...

But the live music scene is alive and thriving. The trouble is that technology exists, affordably now, that it is practical to 'fake' your way through a gig and the audience (at least those without the skills to recognize faking when they see it) don't know they are being cheated.

But ask anyone of them whether they came out to see a musician, or somebody pretending to be a musician, and most of them will say they came to see musicians. So the 'cheating' aspect of it comes from counterfeiting what they actually want. BUT NOT INFORMING THEM.

You will NEVER see an 'entertainer' step away from his faking and go 'OK, folks, I'm sorry, you all thought I was playing this stuff, but in truth, it's all just karaoke'. People understand the difference between real music and fakery. It is just that it is getting harder and harder to spot.

And you can't say 'well, karaoke is popular, so what difference is this?'. The whole point of karaoke is that there IS no trickery, the machine is out from behind the curtain, so to speak. There is no attempt made to fool the audience that this is REAL musicians, backing them up. And secondly, the important thing about karaoke is that it is an audience 'participation' entertainment, NOT going out to see a 'performer'... The performer is THEM, or their friends, or some drunk guy crying his way through 'Feelings'! It's not supposed to be some paid entertainer, pretending to play the backing. It's a social event, not a concert event.

The minute you restrict the singing to just yourself, if your audience sees you playing, they expect that it IS you that is playing. And if it isn't, that misrepresentation. Maybe not criminal, but certainly a little dishonest. Just remember how they pilloried poor Minni Vanilli after it was found out they weren't actually singing any of their hits...

Don't try to fool yourself the audience doesn't care....

#148242 - 07/15/07 10:29 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cassp Offline

Strip away the technology layer by layer until all you have is a solo piano, organ, accordion or whatever and then see how many people come to see you. I wonder...

Even though many of us would argue we could handle a real solo gig, how many of us would want to? The technology is there because we like it, some need, most just want it there. For musicians, technology builds our sound. A SMF makes me sound much more realistic than a style or arrangement in many case. I like it, the audiencee likes it. It's reality. Take away the technology and I'd still be playing most of the same songs, but I'd be working harder to get a smaller sound. Why?

#148243 - 07/15/07 04:35 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Rejected Idol Offline

Right ON!! Great suggestion!! If you want to see the difference between pure performance and enhanced performance w/arrangers and MIDI, the next time you are playing a gig and folks are swaying or dancing to your music, do this: Turn off the (midi or arranger or beat box) drums. Turn off the (midi or arranger) bass. Turn off the (midi or arranger) congas…Turn off the (midi or arranger) strings. That’s it - turn EVERYTHING off until it’s just what YOU are doing with your hands. I bet the swaying stops. Cause then you are playing cocktail music. Then, many of the folks who came to hear the “music” will wonder where the "music" went.

I have nothing against “performers” wanting to make sure everyone recognizes their skill. But the minute any one of us uses an automated tool, we need to come from behind the shroud of “it’s all me and nothing else but me making this music”. You can’t really have it both ways folks, if you use any kind of automation whatsoever, you are part of the “using a tool to sound bigger than I am” mindset. Because even if you skinny it down to just you and the drum machine, you can bet $100 there will always be that guy in the crowd that says “Look – there’s no drummer and I hear drums – it’s KARAOKE!”… So my advice to you is either go totally acoustic, or you should accept the fact that you are using automation to enhance your sound. And get over it.

R/I

#148244 - 07/15/07 05:07 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
ianmcnll Offline

Cool post, RI, very well said.

Ian

#148245 - 07/15/07 08:17 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
keysvocalssax Offline

that's it! the phrase "enhanced performance"- that's what an arranger gives us..it is presumed in the phrase that we know how to perform. If we don't know how to perform, and use the backgrounds as the presentation, then we are not really musicians. But if we know how to make music on our own, then the arranger enhances what we do--that's the art of arranger playing. but that presumes there is an audience that appreciates the difference

------------------
Miami Mo

#148246 - 07/16/07 11:47 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rejected Idol:
Right ON!! Great suggestion!! If you want to see the difference between pure performance and enhanced performance w/arrangers and MIDI, the next time you are playing a gig and folks are swaying or dancing to your music, do this: Turn off the (midi or arranger or beat box) drums. Turn off the (midi or arranger) bass. Turn off the (midi or arranger) congas…Turn off the (midi or arranger) strings. That’s it - turn EVERYTHING off until it’s just what YOU are doing with your hands. I bet the swaying stops. Cause then you are playing cocktail music. Then, many of the folks who came to hear the “music” will wonder where the "music" went.

I have nothing against “performers” wanting to make sure everyone recognizes their skill. But the minute any one of us uses an automated tool, we need to come from behind the shroud of “it’s all me and nothing else but me making this music”. You can’t really have it both ways folks, if you use any kind of automation whatsoever, you are part of the “using a tool to sound bigger than I am” mindset. Because even if you skinny it down to just you and the drum machine, you can bet $100 there will always be that guy in the crowd that says “Look – there’s no drummer and I hear drums – it’s KARAOKE!”… So my advice to you is either go totally acoustic, or you should accept the fact that you are using automation to enhance your sound. And get over it.

R/I

Sorry, RI, but that is exactly what my duo does! Maybe a quarter of our repertoire, I play LH bass and keys, he plays acoustic guitar, and we entertain the crowd doing some popular folk rock numbers, bluegrass, ballads. No machines, no mp3's, we just play. To be honest, sometimes the audience reaction is BETTER than some of the sequenced stuff..!

Maybe, if you can't get a crowd to like your act without the machines, either find a different crowd, play something appropriate that the crowd DOES like with no machines, or shed a little more so you can...

Trust me, it CAN be done...

#148247 - 07/16/07 01:45 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?

I do 30 jobs a year on B-3 and Rhodes with drummer...80 plus jobs on just guitar...100 on only piano and 60 or so with a band or with an arranger.

I guess the point is, you have to locate a market for what you do and how you want to do it.

I get top money for the area and a bank account to be proud of. Been doing it for 50 years in the best venues...no "animal" clubs, nursing homes or assisted living facilities.
(nothing against them...just don't do it).

Everyone should find what works and what they can live with. Either entertain, play or do a combination that you're comfortable with. Find your place in the spectrum.

But, DO IT! Use technology as a tool, but never as a crutch. This area is full of horn players, guitar players and keyboard players who couldn't beg a non-paying job without using sequences, mp-3's or other tools. Those are the folks that really piss me off.

UD, Tony, Chas, Diki, Fran, DonM and others (me, included) use tools (the degree of use varies between players; usually as a function of whether they are primarily entertainers or musicians), but they can really play. That's fine. They're successful and they've earned their success.

It's the "posers" (and believe me, they're everywhere) that makes it hard for those who do it right.

R.

#148248 - 07/16/07 01:51 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Remember this simple rule “Technology is a Very Good Servant, but a Very Bad Master” and you will be fine.

Bill

#148249 - 07/16/07 02:58 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
ianmcnll Offline

I play an arranger keyboard for all of my gigs.

My audience comes to hear ME.

Am I cheating them?

Nope.

I make MY own styles, write out MY own arrangements of cover tunes(of all genres)and manage to achieve MY own distinctive sound on an arranger.

Are they hearing ME?

Of course they are.

Ian

#148250 - 07/16/07 06:42 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Rejected Idol Offline

Diki et al: Whoa! I’m not the one complaining! I like what arrangers do for me. I’m quite satisfied with the sound of my ‘board and as long as the crowd likes my (automation enhanced) sound and I keep getting callbacks, I see no need to change my style. My message remains that whatever works for you…. Work to perfect your abilities and go for it. The theme of my post ALSO REMAINS that automation, i.e., MIDI and the tools that are associated with MIDI CAN serve us. Our challenge (if we elect to!) is to tastefully employ that automation to enhance our sound.

Also remember that first and foremost, the majority of us obviously love music or we would not be chasing this rainbow in the first place. There is certainly plenty of room for all of us and our performing or entertaining styles. Some of us want to be technicians so we can play blistering solos, and others of us just want to create great sounding music. With today’s keyboards and arranger technology, every one of us who aspires to make music and a salary at it to boot has an avenue to do so. The rest, of course, is purely up to each one of us. And I am quite confident that (with and without automation), the cream will continue to float to the top.

One final thought….. I am beginning to wonder if maybe WE aren’t our own WORST enemy. People on this forum are continually musing “why aren’t arrangers as big in the U.S. as they are in Europe”? Based on the posts herein, maybe it’s because of the reluctance of some of the guys on this very forum to just acknowledge their true benefits?

R/I

#148251 - 07/18/07 02:12 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Answer this...

Is playing a keyboard in a live band with a bass player, drummer, guitarist, sax, trumpet etc considered cheating too? The only difference I see is that the musicians recorded there parts when the arranger keyboard was assembled and you just call upon them in digital form !o produce the fullness of a live band.

You still have to know all the song key's and structure, key changes etc exactly as you would in a live band situation...if you don't how to play a
Song using all the chords and melody lines of the song etc then an arranger keyboard is pretty much 'dead in the water'

The only cheaters I have seen are the ones who play pre-recorded orchestrations (Midi FIles) and mime to them...now that's cheating!!!

Playing arrangers is a skill in itself, don't be ashamed of using them if you actually know how to play, its just another performing tool for gods sake.

NJ

#148252 - 07/19/07 07:35 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

If you have to ask the question, pasadoble....

Is playing in a live band cheating..? ROFLMAO

If you don't understand the difference between using a prerecorded backing - whether it is arranger or SMF, it is still prerecorded - and a live band, with all the inter-activeness, mutual awareness, spontaneity and sheer randomness that comes from playing with four humans, maybe you should get out and jam a bit more....

In fact, there would probably be a LOT less 'Is arranger play cheating?' posts here at SZ if most of us went and played with a real band from time to time... You don't have to try and make a living at it if you don't want to, but you certainly need to experience the dynamics and inter-activeness of true 'live' playing before you get too hooked on your arrangers. Just go out and jam with some friends, sit in with a local band that maybe has no keyboard player, get involved...

Arrangers and SMFs are a VERY poor substitute for a good real band, even from the performer's view, unless you HAVEN'T played live lately. Don't forget what 'live' really means...

Use the substitution tools in your profession, or your hobby, but don't allow yourself to consider them an adequate replacement for a real band. Just let your audience do that!

#148253 - 07/19/07 08:29 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

If you don't understand the difference between using a prerecorded backing - whether it is arranger or SMF, it is still prerecorded - and a live band, with all the inter-activeness, mutual awareness, spontaneity and sheer randomness that comes from playing with four humans, maybe you should get out and jam a bit more....

Diki, I know you have British roots, so I have to ask the question; Are you related to Simon Cowell? Ever take one of his "How to win friends and influence people" seminars?

Although I basically agree with you, I just instinctively want to take the opposite point-of-view. Maybe it's just me and I'm being overly sensitive. Anyhoo, have a nice day and don't run down any little ol' ladies trying to cross the street (even if they get caught by the "red" in the middle of the intersection).

chas

#148254 - 07/19/07 09:04 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
pasadoble Offline

Err excuse me but you obviously dont know me or my abilities..I play both live band and arranger 'A LOT' I can tell you that playing solo arranger is a lot more demanding than live band work where the other musicians still carry playing if I drop my music...if you dont play to my standard then you would'nt know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
If you have to ask the question, pasadoble....

Is playing in a live band cheating..? ROFLMAO

In fact, there would probably be a LOT less 'Is arranger play cheating?' posts here at SZ if most of us went and played with a real band from time to time... You don't have to try and make a living at it if you don't want to, but you certainly need to experience the dynamics and inter-activeness of true 'live' playing before you get too hooked on your arrangers. Just go out and jam with some friends, sit in with a local band that maybe has no keyboard player, get involved...

Arrangers and SMFs are a VERY poor substitute for a good real band, even from the performer's view, unless you HAVEN'T played live lately. Don't forget what 'live' really means...

Use the substitution tools in your profession, or your hobby, but don't allow yourself to consider them an adequate replacement for a real band. Just let your audience do that!

#148255 - 07/19/07 09:30 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pasadoble:
Answer this...

Is playing a keyboard in a live band with a bass player, drummer, guitarist, sax, trumpet etc considered cheating too? The only difference I see is that the musicians recorded there parts when the arranger keyboard was assembled and you just call upon them in digital form !o produce the fullness of a live band.
NJ

If you knew the answer, why the question, pasadoble? And honestly, if that is the ONLY difference you see between live and arranger...

Would a recording of you playing your parts be an adequate substitution for YOU? I sincerely doubt you think that, but somehow, you feel it about the OTHER musicians you played with... Not exactly a ringing endorsement. You have to learn that the other musicians (and the drummer ) have skills and abilities just as important as yours, and learn to appreciate what they do, rather than just say they are replaceable with an arranger... with no apparent difference. I'm sorry, but that's the way I feel. There is often an apparent disdain for any musician other than the keyboard player on this forum. We should remember that even the best arrangers struggle to sound realistic (and mostly fail), compared to the real thing....
-------------------------------------------------

Sorry, chas... I know it's running over little old ladies, but really...

I know YOU at least understand the difference between live and arranger. They are two totally different musical experiences. I certainly don't sit up at night and worry if it is 'cheating'. But I also don't try to kid myself that they are the same, either!

Arranger playing is NOT cheating. But it isn't playing 'live' either.

That's all. Nice and simple. Now can we stop beating this one to death? I've got a pedestrian crossing to monitor...

#148256 - 07/20/07 03:27 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
zuki Offline

SORRY: Arranger playing is indeed "live playing". Maybe you should have been at my concert last night for 125 people where my arranger rocked the room - LIVE

zuki

#148257 - 07/20/07 04:42 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cassp Offline

Do I sense a dead horse in the room? If so, let's stop beating it.

Diki, I'm afraid I have to agree with Cgiles and say that sometimes your on-point criticism is a little too caustic for my tastes and I too would tend to argue the point only because of the tone you bring to the post. I like your comments, but I wish I found them more digestable. Peace.

#148258 - 07/20/07 06:22 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Smokey Offline

Loc: Colorado
If you play an arranger, synth, or other emulator you cheat!
If you entertain you’re ok.

Just the way I see it.
Smokey

#148259 - 07/20/07 06:53 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 07-20-2007).]

#148260 - 07/20/07 06:54 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

"When I was in England, I experimented with arrangers a time or two, and I didn't like it.
I didn't cheat and never tried it again." –Bill Clinton

#148261 - 07/20/07 08:17 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

Quote:
SORRY: Arranger playing is indeed "live playing". Maybe you should have been at my concert last night for 125 people where my arranger rocked the room - LIVE

zuki

Unfortunately, this is why my posts tend to be a bit caustic...

A DJ could have rocked that room. Would YOU agree with him if he claimed it was 'live', too?

YOU rocked the room, zuki, NOT your arranger. YOU were the only 'live' thing there. And, unless you couldn't find any decent musicians to play with, you would have rocked it a lot harder with a live band...

Don't get me wrong, now. There's nothing wrong with using arrangers (I use 'em myself!). But don't try to pretend that they are as good as a live band (at least, a band as talented as we all think WE are... )

#148262 - 07/20/07 09:21 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

zuki

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Zuki...arranger playing is indeed "live" playing.

Nice to hear you're doing so well with your solo act.

Ian

#148263 - 07/20/07 09:33 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
pasadoble Offline

What would you rather listen to Dinki...a good exciting arranger player or a bunch of mediocre musicians banging away...you see its all to do with how you use your instrument! a point you seem to have over looked!...I add live realism to my arranger playing and make it exciting to the listener by adding dynamics with both hands, the arranger will follow as would a good tight band, I can inprovise over whatever to arranger is doing and bring realism into the performance.

I regularly work with two vocalists and they have chosen to work with an arranger player rather than a full live band because its much cleaner, much more controllable, and we create a great sound, the arranger allows us to cover a wide spectrum of music
and we play every live, no pre recorded tracks...although you are under the impression that a style running over the same chord endlessly (which as you know is what arrangers do if you take your hand away) is a backing track? I'm afraid my two singers will disagree with you there !!! it may be automatic backing but I need to be there to input the chord data in real time using my vast musical knowledge to create the impression that more than one musician is in the band...that my friend is still LIVE music.

Rgds

NJ

Quote:
Unfortunately, this is why my posts tend to be a bit caustic...

A DJ could have rocked that room. Would YOU agree with him if he claimed it was 'live', too?

YOU rocked the room, zuki, NOT your arranger. YOU were the only 'live' thing there. And, unless you couldn't find any decent musicians to play with, you would have rocked it a lot harder with a live band...

Don't get me wrong, now. There's nothing wrong with using arrangers (I use 'em myself!). But don't try to pretend that they are as good as a live band (at least, a band as talented as we all think WE are... )

#148264 - 07/20/07 09:41 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Pasadoble....nice pics on your website....what is that KB on the top of the rack (Roland)? BTW can you post a few songs for us would love to hear those vocalists with you.

thanx

#148265 - 07/20/07 02:16 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Rejected Idol Offline

-----------------------------------------
Diki said: "Arrangers and SMFs are a VERY poor substitute for a good real band, even from the performer's view, unless you HAVEN'T played live lately. Don't forget what 'live' really means…"
-----------------------------------------

Diki, aren’t you the same guy who is always asking for the return of the ARPEGIATOR? What’s that say? You would actually play a solo while the ‘board was belting out some mechanical chord sequence?

Regarding live playing - we all agree. I doubt there is anyone on this board who would scoff at the opportunity to play with a (good) live 5-6 piece band to “rock the joint”. The REALITY of it is, that nearly everything these days is singles or duos. If you were the owner of a club and you had a choice between a 5 piece band at (let’s be minimally fair to them!) $600.00 or a single guy with talent who uses an arranger that sounds (very much) like a 5-piece band (for, let’s say $200), what would you choose? And before you say "The 5-piece live band would draw a bigger crowd", remember that if they did produce bigger crowds they'd be commanding a lot more than $600. The sheer number of weddings using DJs is clear evidence of the transition in entertainment.

I’ve worked with dozens of bands. And few of them (except for the touring groups) are tight because they don’t rehearse that often (they REFUSE TO because there aren’t enough gigs paying at least $600!). On the other hand, a talented guy (and I profess that most people using arrangers ARE musically inclined) can woodshed his tunes and we don't have to worry about guys not showing for rehearsals or performances. He (and I) invest our valuable time woodshedding because we have been there and experienced the bass man showing late or the drummer wrecking his car or the guitar picker being arrested for hitting his wife or selling cocaine, or the sax man quitting because he’s getting a divorce. And I say woodshedding because only a fool would choose to expose himself to the pressure of the crowd and management if he had no ability to actually “play” the keyboard.

There is a level of professionalism and predictability with an arranger. You can always count on the sound (albeit mechanical in some ways) being there. But much of the mechanical aspect can be overcome by inflecting our own "live touch" into the music.

Last time I checked, this was the “GENERAL ARRANGER KEYBOARD FORUM”. We ARE arranger enthusiasts. And the majority of us, I’m sure, will remain very enthusiastic about them.

R/I

#148266 - 07/20/07 02:54 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I agree with you wholeheartedly, Zuki...arranger playing is indeed "live" playing.

Nice to hear you're doing so well with your solo act.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Yes, doing fantastic. I'm so geeked I'm bringing my board in the house to practice, after playing 3 gigs today. Don't need to stand behind some guitarist.

zuki

#148267 - 07/20/07 09:06 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

Quote:
What would you rather listen to Dinki...a good exciting arranger player or a bunch of mediocre musicians banging away...you see its all to do with how you use your instrument! a point you seem to have over looked!

Actually, as my post indicated, I would rather listen to a live band of exciting players. If you are going to compare yourself to lesser players, then of course you have the edge. But all things being equal (something you don't appear to want to compare yourself to), you might as well compare yourself to a mediocre arranger player... That would be the equivalent.

It is such a shame that so few of you have any positive things to say about the bands you've played in (or listened to). Negative posts completely outweigh the positive. Are they REALLY so bad? Admittedly, I live in a vacation resort area now, with many good bands making a good living, but I've also lived in Memphis (loads of great musicians) and New Orleans (don't get me started on how good that was!) and NYC, amongst other towns, and there was never a shortage of good musicians anywhere... or gigs.

Once you HAVE played with bands that contain musicians of that high caliber, well, it's certainly hard to look at your arranger, and call it anything other than a poor substitute for the 'real thing'. It certainly is an easy way to make music, and of course, it can make a small combo or solo sound really full, without having to do a lot of sequencing. But please don't compare yourself to mediocre musicians just to justify it. It doesn't need justification. It is what it is...

Compare it to a band full of musicians at LEAST as good as you if you want a TRUE comparison...
-------------------------------------------------

BTW, the reason I want the return of the Chord Sequencer (it is NOT an arpeggiator ) is so that songs that have a repeating chord structure (probably most of them!) don't need the chord input after the first time through. THEN, I can use both hands to the fullest rather than the tyranny of HAVING to play the chords constantly. Or play my trombone, or a REAL bassline, or add extra voicings outside the arranger chords, or use the bender for expressive solos, or a million other things you can't do while your left hand is tied down...

Don't knock it until you've tried it. It is, after all, a totally arranger only feature, not some ported over half-baked workstation feature. As arranger players, we should try to support ideas that further arranger play (IMO) rather than get too gaga over the latest workstation port... The CS totally blurs the line between SMF play and arranger play. ALL the advantages of arranger play (interactivity, spontaneity, make up your own structure on the fly) with the advantages of SMFs (independence of parts you play to the backing).

Few people that ever learned to use one ever want to do without it again... It's kind of like multi-pads on a Yamaha (but different!). Once you get used to them, you don't want to lose the feature...

#148268 - 07/20/07 11:22 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
to the genesys Offline

I have to agree with Diki on this one.

If you were just to consider the musical aspects, I Even think that if you were to compare a good arranger player to a good band, from a performer’s perspective playing in a band is much more satisfying. But that assumes that you have played with a good band and you are a good arranger player.

Now there are reasons that we use to justify using an arranger or midi file (I think a good electronic musician can get a midi file sounding as live as an arranger) instead of a band. Financially one solo player could charge less than a 5 or 6 member band. With a solo player, you don’t have to worry about the hassle of coordinating rehearsals and dealing with personality peculiarities of band members.

But having said all that, just the musical experience and interaction of playing on stage with a “GOOD” band has advantages over playing solo. We play solo because of economic and personality differences.

I think that a good arranger or workstation act is live music if they can be spontaneous.

I would say however, that when we try to mimic another instrument on our keyboards (whether arranger or workstation), we are cheating. That is not to say that we are not employing skills. It does take skills to be able to take a sax sound and make it sound like or as close to the real thing. But that is just it. If we are trying to sound like the real thing, then that looks like we are trying to cut corners. Why don’t we get a sax player to play that part? We all know the reason why. It is just not economical or feasible to do so in today’s business world. Instead, we substitute a real sax player with a keyboard sound that sounds like a sax. And we try to make it sound as much as we can like a live sax player (Cheat). We all do that me included.

I am one to admit that in a sense it is cheating, however, I would also say that there is a skill that goes along with making it happen. In order for the sax to sound real you have to know about the sax and what is possible and not possible on a sax and you have to know how to manipulate your keyboard to make it sound real.

#148269 - 07/21/07 04:55 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
pasadoble Offline

Diki...I think your problem of not really accepting arrangers as a legitimate performing tool comes from a deep seated doubt about your own personal musical abilities! you've convinced yourself that if you play an arranger keyboard your not as good as a musician performing in a live
band.
I on the other hand recognise that arrangers have a place in the
performers arsenal and I happy to use one with absolutely no qualms, criticism of
them and hang-ups about using them. I am a highly confident musician and can
play anything in any situation be it in a live band or on an arranger...and
may I say I also mix both together too where I perform in a duo where I mute
all the parts except the drums and the bass is played by a live bass
player, I handle all the keyboard and we both sing...I have to ask you because I find you and your points of
view on arrangers fascinating...when do you consider the use of an arranger
keyboard in a live situation ''Not Cheating'' ??? If I add a guitar or horn part does it immediately become cheating ??

You see being a pro musician requires you to adapt to changing trends and you personally have got to lose that 'oh my god I'm ( and most of the players on this forum) using an auto-accompaniment keyboard I (they) must be inferior to someone playing keyboard in a live band' or unable to carry themselves in a live band' attitude.

If your comfortable with yourself as a musician and you know you have the
abilities for playing piano, keyboard and organ to a high standard be it
live or arranger, I can assure you, you will not be as critical of arrangers
and their use as is obvious from viewing
your acidic and confused ratings....you harp on about the joy of working with other musicians...I personally feel that with arrangers its man and machine working in perfect harmony together...yes it can be done...if you have the prior musical ability to achieve it...have you got it Diki...have 'YOU' got it!

[This message has been edited by pasadoble (edited 07-21-2007).]

#148270 - 07/21/07 06:09 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Referring back to the original topic subject:
If you use MIDI files that you did not personally create, if you play along with internal styles (or user styles that have been converted from other arrangers), if you play mp3 files or other audio files that you did not personally create, then yes you are cheating. You are letting the audience assume that you yourself are creating right in front of their eyes and ears everything they are listening to and that is lying. No two ways about it.

On the other hand, you can take the position of 'what the audience doesn't know won't hurt them', right? The audience wants to be entertained. And if the venue can't pay or is to cheap to pay for an actual group of live musicians or if the room is too small for anything but a single, then having the option of some form of live entertainment like someone playing an arranger keyboard or a DJ is better than nothing.

What does the arranger player get out of the situation (other than a little spending cash in order to buy the next latest greatest end-all instrument every couple of months or so )? He/she gets the opportunity to perform live in front of an audience which under other circumstances may not be available to him/her. And as long as he/she is not bothered by the fact that the audience is being deceived into thinking that the person standing behind the keyboard is an incredible musician, even though in reality the incredible musician(s) is the person who actually created all or at least the vast majority of what the audience is hearing, then everybody's happy.

I don't mean to upset anyone here, but this is the dirty truth. On the other hand, who cares? I always prefer to play with other musicians but there are situations that call for a lone musician and it is great to be able to go into a single act gig as something other than an acoustic guitar/vocal act doing James Taylor tunes (not that there is anything wrong with that mind you) or heaven forbid, a DJ . And many of the members of this forum, while maybe not really playing all or most of the music coming from their equipment, are fine performers and entertainers and like I said, all an audience wants is to be entertained. So more power to the arranger players; enjoy what you do and enjoy how you do it.

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 07-21-2007).]

#148271 - 07/21/07 06:41 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cassp Offline

My life behind the keyboards before arrangers was mostly as lead, rhythm and bass player for a trio of drums, sax (later guitar) and me. Having to play foot or left hand bass, song chords and occassional leads is not much different than what I do now, but the arranger or SMF does most of the work, leaving me more time for playing other/more things.

How many times has the style left me screaming for a live drummer and bass player - too numerous to mention. But I continue to plug away and dream of having six other capable musicians on stage to let me ROCK . But it's not gonna happen, soon or ever.

Using an arranger or SMF gives me an opportunity to be on stage - plain and simple.

#148272 - 07/21/07 10:57 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
keysvocalssax Offline

are we "cheating"?..it's just semantics, isn't it? it really doesn't matter if we call it cheating or not, we do it. e.g.... -instead of playing an acoustic piano, we play a digital keyboard with a synthesized or sampled piano sound. even if we do only this, isn't it cheating? we are in effect telling the audience: listen to us play the piano, and we are not playing a piano. but this is the very thinnest line, we might make the case we are playing the same way we would play a piano..same for rhodes..and a bit further removed for organ, but still in the ballpark: similar keyboards played with the fingers. -but let's move a step further: instead of vibes, instead of marimba, etc..we are playing a synthesized or sampled version of those instruments. we are still working with keyboard-style instruments but we are using our fingers, not mallets. we are cheating a bit more, are we not? -now we move to guitars, strings, hand percussion, etc: still played with the hands but those instruments are not keyboard-based. so we are now cheating even more. -heavy "cheating" now: wind instruments!!! how do we justify playing those on a kb? we are not using our breath or lips at all! we are going down the slippery slope. aaaargh!! -a huge leap: drum machines in our kb's. wow, how far will we go? is this not the end of western civilization as we know it????? -Ok now, enough is enough: whole backgrounds with bass lines, brass riffs, etc, etc... intros, outros, fills, pads, fades. Arrest these impostors!! where are the arranger police when you need them? -sequencing. biab, smf's: Oh No!!!! where did it all start, this descent into hell? when we started using portable piano substitutes?no, we must return to the source. which is--the early music keyboards PLUCKED the keys. it was nice, quiet, austere, pure. THEN---the devil invented that giant noisy instrument with hammers that STRUCK the strings, and with a pedal to create a totally artificial sustain, no less. CHEATING!!!that, my friends, was the beginning of the end. seriously, does anyone believe that the audience doesn't know you aren't playing a piano? a rhodes? an organ? vibes? strings? winds? does anyone think the audience believes there is a dwarf playing drums inside your amp? or a big band of elves? or that the audience thinks or cares if you personally programmed every beat and personally synthesized every sound and personally created every arrangement? aside from the fact they would be impressed if you told them that. -you can refer to the least sophisticated audience you like: abilities being equal, they will prefer a duo or trio to a solo performer. they will prefer a better solo musician (one who makes the music come alive) to one who is a stiff mechanic. we who play arrangers should concern ourselves with improving our musicianship no matter what tools we use..the issue of CHEATING is a non-issue. IMHO

------------------
Miami Mo

#148273 - 07/21/07 11:05 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
keysvocalssax Offline

sorry my posts now have no breaks. when i was using safari w/my mac i had a problem of uneven lines..now i'm using firefox and it's not following my format: i use paragraphs and skip space for them but now everything just runs on..anyone have a clue?

------------------
Miami Mo

#148274 - 07/21/07 11:39 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
sorry my posts now have no breaks. when i was
using safari w/my mac i had a problem of
uneven lines..now i'm using firefox and it's
not following my format: i use paragraphs and
skip space for them but now everything just runs on..anyone have a clue?

Maybe you're too longwinded?

chas

#148275 - 07/21/07 12:24 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles: Maybe you're too longwinded? chas
that's it..thanks for your contribution.

#148276 - 07/21/07 12:42 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:

that's it..thanks for your contribution.

I do what I can.

chas

#148277 - 07/21/07 12:43 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Mo, don't be so thin-skinned. I'm just pulling your chain.

chas

#148278 - 07/21/07 03:00 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Quote:
...I was able to record us live on several different days to an ADAT. This allowed me to fly the tracks into the computer, and line them up virtually sample accurate, because the tempos were the same each time!
So I was able to take the rhythm guitar parts from different days, and pan them out to the corners, and have double tracked rhythm guitar (when the song sounded good with it), and have a choice of different solos, from myself and my guitarist, to choose from, and pick the best one for each song, and sometimes a little doubled harmony.....

Impressive - not cheating at all, but added creativity ...

#148279 - 07/21/07 04:31 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

Quote:
Diki...I think your problem of not really accepting arrangers as a legitimate performing tool comes from a deep seated doubt about your own personal musical abilities! you've convinced yourself that if you play an arranger keyboard your not as good as a musician performing in a live
band.
I on the other hand recognise that arrangers have a place in the
performers arsenal and I happy to use one with absolutely no qualms, criticism of
them and hang-ups about using them. I am a highly confident musician and can
play anything in any situation be it in a live band or on an arranger...and
may I say I also mix both together too where I perform in a duo where I mute
all the parts except the drums and the bass is played by a live bass
player, I handle all the keyboard and we both sing...I have to ask you because I find you and your points of
view on arrangers fascinating...when do you consider the use of an arranger
keyboard in a live situation ''Not Cheating'' ??? If I add a guitar or horn part does it immediately become cheating ??

You see being a pro musician requires you to adapt to changing trends and you personally have got to lose that 'oh my god I'm ( and most of the players on this forum) using an auto-accompaniment keyboard I (they) must be inferior to someone playing keyboard in a live band' or unable to carry themselves in a live band' attitude.

If your comfortable with yourself as a musician and you know you have the
abilities for playing piano, keyboard and organ to a high standard be it
live or arranger, I can assure you, you will not be as critical of arrangers
and their use as is obvious from viewing
your acidic and confused ratings....you harp on about the joy of working with other musicians...I personally feel that with arrangers its man and machine working in perfect harmony together...yes it can be done...if you have the prior musical ability to achieve it...have you got it Diki...have 'YOU' got it!

[This message has been edited by pasadoble (edited 07-21-2007).]

Ah.... when in doubt, personally attack the poster...

If ignorance is bliss, let me make you less happy... I use arrangers (and have been doing so for 15 years or more) in pretty much ALL my live performance work, whether solo duo, or even with a full band. I have absolutely no qualms about using them. I find them to be far more practical keyboards for live work that most workstations. I never apologize to anyone for using one, and to be honest, after hearing me play, I have NEVER had anyone ever come up to me and disparage me for using an arranger...

I have not claimed once any of the complete rubbish you just posted (you might try actually reading my posts, instead of reading INTO my posts what you want to). No-one is inferior if they use an arranger (or if they are, I am too!).

BUT... having played with musicians like Steve Gadd, Bernard Purdie, Luther Vandross, Jon Bon Jovi, Eric Gale, and many others (I'm not as worried about my abilities as you think!), there is no way that I can ever claim my arranger is better than a good live band. But if you feel better about yourself comparing yourself to mediocrities, have at it. Whatever works.

#148280 - 07/21/07 05:05 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
ianmcnll Offline

Wow, Diki, those are some pretty impressive names.

You must be a terrific player to be rubbing shoulders with these guys.

What I don't understand, is why you play in a duo with a relatively unknown guitarist when you could be working in other more lucrative situations that would be more fitting of a player of your calibre.

I'm sure you have your reasons for staying in relative obscurity, but you must occasionally long for more a more prestigious(and lucrative) position with an established artist.

Ian

#148281 - 07/21/07 05:23 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

Thanks, Ian...

Actually, most of those names came from my session player years in NYC, but unfortunately, having been raised on a small farm in England, it soon became apparent that I am no big city guy! I have a lot of discomfort dealing with big city problems, crime, traffic, the dog eat dog attitude in the business in large cities (in my area, someone falls sick we do a benefit - in NYC they call up his bandleader and see if they can get his gig!), so I hit the road and moved down to the resort areas in Florida.

There are actually some VERY good players down here, and I get out and jam on a very regular basis with as many good live bands as I can. We have a blossoming studio scene down here (actually, just one real pro facility in my small town, SSL based, etc.) but we have several national acts that record here (had the #1 Christian act record here), so I get to do my thing at a gentler pace, enjoy the beach, and not get mugged as often

Yeah, sometimes I miss the big names, but not all the sessions were as fun. It's still a job, no matter who you play with! HOW you live, where you live, are a lot more important than who you play with. I'd rather be content in obscurity that miserable with my name in lights...

#421797 - 05/29/16 06:34 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or? [Re: keysvocalssax]
Alan-Russell Offline

If the facilties of let.s say a Tyros 5 gets a pro arranger to latch on to a style,create the outside tracks then delete the style tracks creating his own, this is still conderered professional arranging..this is what I do..purchasing pro midi files and injecting them in to a 6k keyboard, adding your lead or vocal is total Nonsense. The music industry has hoards of cheats, you make a youtube of your work, it.s snatched by outside countries selling your mp3. The art of music outside a business influence finds so much growth from the gifted individual...Retired at 62....

Alan Russell

#421802 - 05/29/16 10:05 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or? [Re: Alan-Russell]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Alan-Russell
If the facilties of let.s say a Tyros 5 gets a pro arranger to latch on to a style,create the outside tracks then delete the style tracks creating his own, this is still conderered professional arranging..this is what I do..purchasing pro midi files and injecting them in to a 6k keyboard, adding your lead or vocal is total Nonsense. The music industry has hoards of cheats, you make a youtube of your work, it.s snatched by outside countries selling your mp3. The art of music outside a business influence finds so much growth from the gifted individual...Retired at 62....

Alan Russell

May i ask why you revive an 8 year old discussion?

However reading back this discussion, i realise that in those 9 years the attitude to using sequences and backing tracks has changed at lot... More and more bands are using this in some way..

and there is no differnce in using styles then the other stuff, excepts that it makes the user more flexible...

as a small band, this is the way to go..

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online