SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15 >
Topic Options
#148172 - 07/09/07 02:52 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
ditto!

#148173 - 07/09/07 03:08 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
BrisbaneJim Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, Queensland, Austra...
Russ, I was at a Seniors Dance the other night and noticed that the keyboard player had a laptop. She was using it to read the words of the songs that she was playing!

BrisbaneJim

#148174 - 07/09/07 04:19 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
No Valli and no doo wop......boy I hope I don't turn into you guys when I get old..

#148175 - 07/09/07 04:22 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Fran.............I agree 500% & beyond!!

#148176 - 07/09/07 04:22 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
The advantages of using a laptop for performance are very convincing. The problem I have with having a laptop, especially if it's front and center, and whatever it's there for, is that someone's gonna come up and say "Do you have 'such and such' song in there", as he glances at the laptop. Now you're Mr. DJ.

#148177 - 07/09/07 04:40 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Whats the big deal.....say yes and play it.....Ive had people ask me you got so & so song in there when I dont use the laptop & just have the arranger KB.Unless your playing a solo acoustic instrument you'll always be a DJ or soughts plain and simple to to most people your only controlling an electronic device with buttons & keys....your not gonna fool anyone when they hear more then one instrument at time , instead be proud , do it very well, make em super happy and have fun!.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-09-2007).]

#148178 - 07/09/07 05:01 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
i have seen many keyboard DJs alternate between playing in arranger mode / midis / and then just playing MP3s etc. not an uncommon thing at all...

#148179 - 07/09/07 05:14 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Nick its all good ....
its all about making music......
its all fun to do.

#148180 - 07/09/07 05:26 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
It quite amazes me how often I read disparaging remarks about the audience.

Please stop acting like that the audience couldn't care less, has no clue and 'only' wants to be 'entertained'. If they pay for live entertainment than that's what they deserve. Granted, some may not care but you're supposed to please every paying customer.

You'd be surprised how many musicians there might be in the audience who know exactly what's going on. Don't assume that you're the only musician just because you're on stage banging on a keyboard. Don't assume that you're the only singer just because you're the one with the microphone. And don't assume that you know it all or are the best. You'd be surprised at what dormant talent there's out there.

Three times I've witnessed the guy on stage, after being heckled about his playing or singing, daring the heckler to come on stage and do a better job. Well, each time those hecklers were either far better players or singers. So, never underestimate your audience.

An entertainer with a laptop? There was a time they did without so why the need for one now? A laptop would seem abundant to me. Technology already makes making music easier. As for lyrics, a lyrics sheet is all you need.

You wouldn't want to be heckled by someone that HE or SHE can play LIVE and prove it, would you?

Taike

#148181 - 07/09/07 05:35 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

I'm a multi talented entertainer....& proud of it....I can play arranger & sing my ass off with the best of them & as a pro singer will also perform with SMF & with my own MP3 backing tracks on a LAP TOP without playing at all when I go walk out into an audience to whooo the ladies singin....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-09-2007).]

Can I get some of your self confidence pills ?

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online