SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#147475 - 05/18/05 12:12 PM Need Recommendations re: Outboard Soundcard/Midi Interfaces (Firewire/USB)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Anyone here have an experience (and/or recommendations) re: OUTBOARD Audio Soundcard-Midi interface units like:

M-Audio: FireWire Audiophile

M-Audio: FireWire 410

M-Audio: Audiophile USB

I realize that outboard soundcard/midi interfaces can suffer slightly more latency than an internal PCI soundcard does, but the benefits include: flexibility for use on both a desktop & laptop PC, as well as less noise potentially entering the soundcard from a desktop PC's internal fans.

To offset potential latency problems, M-Audio outboard Audio Soundcard/Midi interface devices include a special 'direct monitoring' feature. Anyone have any experience using that or know how that works?

MY PC includes both USB 2.0 & Firewire ports. Which provides the best results in an external Audio Soundcard/Midi interface: Firewire or USB 2.0?

Thanks in advance for advice & recommendations.

Scott

#147476 - 05/18/05 02:32 PM Re: Need Recommendations re: Outboard Soundcard/Midi Interfaces (Firewire/USB)
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Scott I have no idea about these cards, but usb seems to me a bit too unstable.
I am using usb for a lot of devices in my offices and these are by no means stable.

As you know(since 2000) I am using a delta 1010 with the 19" rack which is no option for a laptop due to the pci card which need to be built in.
The connection goes through a special cable between the pci card and the 19" rack.

The rack is controlled by an eight channel software mixer and has all the needed options for monitoring and in/output volume/mono/stereo controls for analoge and digital connections.
Works like a charm.
I suspect that the software mixer is a simular software mixer for the mentionned cards by you.

In the mentionned options by you I would go firewire in this stage or wait till the lan cards come out.

Fred

#147477 - 05/18/05 04:07 PM Re: Need Recommendations re: Outboard Soundcard/Midi Interfaces (Firewire/USB)
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi Scott:
First you need to tell us how many inputs do you need, ( XLR,Phantom power, etc.) and how many tracks you need/want to record simultaneously....features that you may want...
I have for my needs, a Lexicon Omega (4 ins 1/4 inch and 2 XLR with phantom power, 2 outs, headphone out with separate control, etc.),I got it since it came out, over a year ago) audio/midi interface and works great !! before that, I did use a M-Audio Quatro...also without problems but with some limitations (no headphone output and separate volumen controls..), so, depends in what your needs are. Also, I would consider the Edirol intrefaces ( by Roland ). I hope it helps you.

------------------
mdorantes

#147478 - 05/18/05 08:03 PM Re: Need Recommendations re: Outboard Soundcard/Midi Interfaces (Firewire/USB)
Vquestor Offline

The first two choices seem good, also do not
rule out the Presonus Firebox.

#147479 - 05/19/05 04:23 PM Re: Need Recommendations re: Outboard Soundcard/Midi Interfaces (Firewire/USB)
Roel Offline

Firewire is the best choice I think.
M-Audio products work fine and do not let you down.

My good friend Guillermo owns the USB version AP2496 and he has not had any problem.

BTW : Quillermo now is recovering from a VERY serious bacterial infection that almost became fatal. At this time he has not the energy to join the SZ forum.

Roel

#147480 - 05/19/05 06:00 PM Re: Need Recommendations re: Outboard Soundcard/Midi Interfaces (Firewire/USB)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thanks for everyone's replies here.

Freddy, your Delta 1010 rack setup sounds mighty impressive, but I'm looking for a small footprint lightweight solution as well.

It definitely sounds like Firewire is the way to go, though I don't have a clear understanding WHY it's better than USB, as the transfer speed rate specs look (on paper) to be close to the same. Can you guys provide a reason (in addition to the reported stability issues) why firewire is preferred over usb for PC music recording production? Does Firewire offer more bandwidth and/or provide a better method of data transfer as well?

Manuel (Mdorantes): My recording needs are pretty simple, mostly needing only to record one audio track at a time (possibly 2 or 3 max) along with midi tracks recorded on the Yamaha Tyros. Probably 2-in and 4 outs would do, but having 4-ins and 4-6 outs would allow for growth & expansion. My budget is also limited to $400 (and less if possible). Manuel: does the Lexicon Omega include direct monitoring (with efx) with near zero latency, because I need to monitor both recorded tracks and track I'm recording (singing) live (along with hearing my vocal efx) as well.

Vquestor, the Presonus Firebox looks like another interesting option as well. Curious how the M-Audio FireWire 410, PreSonus Firebox, and the Lexicon Omega (with Lexicon efx processor) match up with each other. I do notice the Lexicon Omega is about $100 cheaper than the other two.

Roel, I'm Really sorry to hear that Quillermo (Willum) has taken ill, and hope he is feeling well soon. Please send him my best regards. In the meantime, thank you for informing me that Guillermo is using an AP2496. Problem is that I don't recognize that brand(?). Please provide the specific brand and model number it is.

I seem inclined to go with the M-Audio for it's low latency software monitoring & near zero latency hardware monitoring (with efx) features, and the "Firewire 410" in particular because it includes the added bonus of 2 phantom powered XLR mic direct inputs, and for the advantages of Firewire (wider bandwidth?). I had seriously considered getting another PCI soundcard for it's low latency potential, but figured an outboard unit affords quieter noise isolation from the internal PC fan(s) and flexibility to use with a laptop PC as well. If there are better features on the Lexicon Omega or Presonus Firebox to consider I'm certainly willing to take another look. Please advise. Thanks again for your input.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-19-2005).]

#147481 - 05/19/05 07:00 PM Re: Need Recommendations re: Outboard Soundcard/Midi Interfaces (Firewire/USB)
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Scott:
The Lexicon Omega do not have Fx, but it does have direct monitoring, I do use my Omega in a very similar way (like yours), and records in 24 bits.....so far, I am Very happy with mine, I also recomend to add the FX to a dry track, I also own a Boss BR 1600 and in that one, you can record Dry but listening with FX with no bearing into the recorded track, of course this is a little more $$, and you should check its smaller sisters....the BR 1200 and the BR 900, all of them have USB ports that allow you to import-export your tracks and edit them into the PC and so on....the end result is Great !, this are a stand alone units. Regards.

------------------
mdorantes

#147482 - 05/19/05 07:21 PM Re: Need Recommendations re: Outboard Soundcard/Midi Interfaces (Firewire/USB)
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Scott,

Whats your price range? How many channels will you need?

#147483 - 05/19/05 08:19 PM Re: Need Recommendations re: Outboard Soundcard/Midi Interfaces (Firewire/USB)
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Scott,

Check out Echo Audio's new FireWire Interfaces
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireWire/

I currently own Layla 3G it is an excellent product. I have been using Echo products for the last 6 years, they suppor their equipment even after they are discontinued.

#147484 - 05/19/05 08:42 PM Re: Need Recommendations re: Outboard Soundcard/Midi Interfaces (Firewire/USB)
Vquestor Offline

Skip USB 1.1, firewire and USB 2.0 are the
way to go. All things considered, I would choose firewire. Go here for some general info: http://www.studio-central.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=19%26sid=2b3ad3198b7fb21bfa68 b554c3674a06
If you ask Tweak, he is immensely helpful
and knowledgable.

Also check out the Roland FA-66 and FA-101

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 05-19-2005).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online