SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147365 - 10/21/02 10:25 PM PSR2000 vs PA60.........cannot decide ?? Help !!
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Today I got my PSR1000 which is essentially have the same basic sounds as PSR2000. I would like to trade up to PSR2000 but after trying PA80 for two weeks, I noticed considerable differences between the two. These are CONSIDERABLE !!

I use it for live play with manual bass. I use basic sounds such as piano, bass, strings, brass and sax. Also, most of the time I just use the internal speakers are sufficient.

Right away, I feel the keys action are a lot lighter and much worse than PA80. It is the worst feeling I got.

Also, the sounds are thinner compared to the PA80.

But I cannot stand the awkwardness to access various functions on the PA80.

So, my choice is to get PA80 or PA60 since it has much better sounds and key action although awkward operation.

OR get PSR2000 and missing out on all the great sounds and key feel of the KORG.

Why can't somebody sell me a keyboard that has all the good features ???

This is killing me...

#147366 - 10/22/02 03:27 AM Re: PSR2000 vs PA60.........cannot decide ?? Help !!
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Lukitoh,
I have a "Y2K" and if I could do a "key transplant" , I would !!
The 1000 and 2000 have the same action, BAD !!!
It is not a bad KB but the way that the keys feel is a shame, it sounds so good.
If you like the "action" of the "Korg" try to get the "PA 80" it`s a few years old but still a "big time favorite" among "arranger players"
Best of luck, O -BTW you can`t up-grade the Yami`s but the "Korgs you can !
jedi

#147367 - 10/22/02 03:40 AM Re: PSR2000 vs PA60.........cannot decide ?? Help !!
trtjazz Offline

lukitoh,
Or you could go higher in the PSR series than the 2000 too. The key feel etc gets better etc.
You're comparing a $1000. keyboard to a $2000. one (roughly) when comparing a psr2k to a PA 80. You'll also have to decide what you can or cannot live with, no keyboard is going to be perfect all around, no matter how much you pay. The issues you had with the PA 80 will be the same with the PA 60.
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-22-2002).]

#147368 - 10/22/02 06:07 AM Re: PSR2000 vs PA60.........cannot decide ?? Help !!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Lukitoh,
If you want better action you'll have to go with the upper line Yamaha arranger such as the 9000 Pro.. If I'm not mistaken someone said some time ago that the action on the PSR-9000 was the same as the PSR-740, and of course would make it like the PSR-1000/2000... Again it's what's in your price range too... The 9000 Pro is going to run you quite a bit more than the PSR-2000 and the PA-60, but you'll get great synth action keys, and 76 of them. If I had the choice of the PSR-2000 or the PA-60 and was comparing the action, sound quality, I would probably choose the PA-60... However keep in mind that there are some really good live, cool, and sweet voices on the PSR that you won't find on the Korg. If you want the quality of those voices you'll have to go with something like a Ketron (which in my opinion is the most awsome arranger out there).. I hope you find one that best suits your playing.. You'll never find that "one" keyboard that has everything you want.. I've owned top synths that were supposed to have everything, and yet there was always something more that I wanted in it...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#147369 - 10/22/02 06:11 AM Re: PSR2000 vs PA60.........cannot decide ?? Help !!
Dnj Offline

the action on the PSR-9000 was the same as the PSR-740,>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That is totaly false, the 740 and y2k would be correct

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-22-2002).]

#147370 - 10/22/02 06:21 AM Re: PSR2000 vs PA60.........cannot decide ?? Help !!
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
luk,

I agree with Terry. The 2000 isn't really competition to the PA80, but maybe it is to the PA60. I think a lot of the same way you do about the 2000 vs the PA80 by the way, but I had additional issues with my own 2000 ( bad bugs ) that made me even more biased against it ( for my own use ).

Ultimately, beyond the 2000 "bug" issues, I realized that disparity in sounds / styles and the key feel were the key factors in deciding ehich board to use ( I had both at the time ) and since I preferred the PA80 in all of these areas, for me, the choice to stay with the PA80 was a "no brainer". The downside ( for some .. I actually enjoyed it ), was having to do a lot of work to make the OS " work for me ". Once I set up my performances, replaced or modified styles as I saw fit, and got everything else in order, I found the PA80 to be a breeze to use in real time. No matter what though, I could live and get around an "awkward " OS, but there isn't anything I can do to change sounds and a key feel that doesn't please me.

Maybe for you, neither board will work. Then you may need to look at some others. The PSR9000, while no longer a "current" board, was quite the work horse in it's own right. Key feel is a lot better than on the 2000. The downside is that the thing weighs about 57 lbs, so some players find it a chore if they have to transport it often. The other possible downside is that I don;t know that you'll notice a tremendous improvement in sounds over the 2000 luk. You'd have to try one for yourself. I like the 9000, and would like to have one, but I wouldn't trade away my PA80 for it.

An alternative might be the Ketron XD9. They aren't as easy to find but some players rave about the sounds and styles. I have never seen one so I don't know much else. The Roland VA76 is another pretty good arranger that is worth a look. I spent a couple of hours with it not too long ago. Liked the sounds and styles, not sure if I'm sold on the variphrase technology. Also where is the vocalizer ? ( does it have one..?? the store "guy" didn't know much about the thing ). Another possible downside if it matters... its still is going for about 2,500.

There are the Technics ( expensive ) and Gem lines ( Genesys also expensive but unique in many ways ) out there are as well luk. The problem that many of us have is finding some of these boards to demo. Good luck to you.

AJ

#147371 - 10/22/02 06:28 AM Re: PSR2000 vs PA60.........cannot decide ?? Help !!
Dnj Offline

The downside is that the thing weighs about 57 lbs,>>>>>>>>>>

The Psr9k is only 49lbs. NOt bad for a KB with the best sounding speakers of anything on the market in its class.

XD9 availability, no problem there?......

Just call Dan O....or George K to order one.

#147372 - 10/22/02 07:56 AM Re: PSR2000 vs PA60.........cannot decide ?? Help !!
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I guess 49 lbs isn't bad when I consider that I used to drag around a Yamaha CP25 with me. Now THAT was a beast. I miss it too, but I doubt I could move it around like I did when I was in my 20's.

Yep, the XD9 is available for purchase... that's the easy part. The harder part is finding one to try out before you buy it ( if you don't live near George, DanO, or someone else who has it ). I suspect that I might already own one if I could have found one to demo. The demos sound great, but I need to have my hands on it and hear it before I buy. Anyway, once the Tyros is available to demo, I'll make the trip to Md ( 4+ hrs ) because I'm intrigued enough about the XD9. Even if DanO decides not to carry the Tyros, once they are out there I can at least try them both within a day or two and cross reference. I can't be sure without trying but..based on what I see to this point, I would predict that I'll stay with the PA80, keep the Motif ( no prediction there ..no matter what I'm keeping the Mo ) , and... ( sorry honey..lol ) I go out and buy the XD9 too.

AJ

#147373 - 10/22/02 08:06 AM Re: PSR2000 vs PA60.........cannot decide ?? Help !!
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Luk,

Here's my two cents, for what it's worth. Feel...weight...ease...all good points. But, what I would advise is to purchase the keyboard with your "ears". I could care less about the feel of the keys if the music being made through a specific keyboard excited me. Granted, the "feel" of the PSR2K leaves much to be desired. But, it is by far made up for by the quality of the sounds that come from this primo keyboard. Again, just my opinion. Good luck!

Angelo

#147374 - 10/22/02 08:07 AM Re: PSR2000 vs PA60.........cannot decide ?? Help !!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Bluezplayer,
Now that's dedication! To tavel over 4 hours to play a keyboard... It's kind of like that with me sometimes (except I have to travel over 6 hours).. The only time I get to get my hands on any decent keyboards is when I go up to Erie PA to see my family.. The local music store carries quite a bit.. I'll be up there for this Thanksgiving, so I'm sure they're going to have a lot in stock for the holidays... The salesperson I talked to said they were considering carrying the Tyros.. I hope so because I would love to get my hands on this board and give it a whirl.. I'd love to play those megavoice guitar sounds....

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online