SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#146530 - 06/16/05 01:50 PM Re: Need soft synth crash course.
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Thought this through a little. It seems to me that I would be best off to drop putting any effort into Jammer Live at this time. I see it only has 2 fills and uses their styles only.

It seems to me that as a start I should concentrate on the basics of OMB and Live-Styler.

Since, as far as I know, only OMB allows you to take parts of different styles and midis and make your own personalized styles, that maybe I should try this first, even though the look of the virtual kb control panel of the Live-Styler appeals to me a lot.

Scott

#146531 - 06/16/05 02:34 PM Re: Need soft synth crash course.
Musikman4Christ Offline

Loc: USA
Hey Scott, I understand how intimidating all this technology is. Man, that is one of the main reasons why Arrangers are still viable and because they help you get inspired right away.
Don't give up and learn little by little. If you ever decide to get a Yamaha motif, check out this video that shows you how to turn it into a complete studio system with your laptop.

Cheers,

Musikman
http://files2.keyfax.com/video/mlan16e_mov/index.html

Musikman
Email:
Musikman4Christ@yahoo.com

#146532 - 06/16/05 08:56 PM Re: Need soft synth crash course.
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Scott,

Hypercanvas and OMB work fine together on both of my computers. You'll need a host app for Hypercanvas. I have several that I can use, including FL Studio, Sonar, and Xlutop Chainer.

Chainer is a standalone app that hosts VST synths and effects. I open Hypercanvas up in Chainer, select "all" midi tracks, and I can add a few effects that open in Chainer as well. I route the midi output of OMB into Chainer via the virtual midi cable I mentioned above ( Maple ).

I use my Motif ES6 as my controller and have set up the assignable knobs as my fill in and variation buttons, which is done by selecting the proper control change ( midi cc ) for each button and then assigning it to a function in OMB.

Aside from what you mentioned about OMB, the other reason it works for me is that I can assign any midi cc# to any function ( variation up, down, fill, ending, etc ) and control these assignments from within OMB.

AJ

#146533 - 06/16/05 09:00 PM Re: Need soft synth crash course.
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Scott,
you can mix n match style parts in OMB's Stylemaker page. (Not sure how much of this will work in the demo version of OMB, but here goes. You may need to use one of Jos's demo styles, but with the full version your Tyros styles should also work)
Just say you want to put together a library of Style Parts so that you could create custom styles . All you do is use the PART "Import & Export" functions to load & save the style parts ie individual intro's endings fills & variations.

You can even import & export individual style tracks , like drums, bass etc into existing styles, to give them a bit of variety or to maybe fix a converted style that isn't working properly.

Haven't had this much flexibility in style creation since my kn7000.

Even if you didn't go ahead and use softsynths etc , OMB wouldn't be a total waste even if you only ended up using it as a style creation tool/editor for the Tyros.
It takes time to learn the software, but worth it in the end.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hello
It seems to me that as a start I should concentrate on the basics of OMB and Live-Styler.

Since, as far as I know, only OMB allows you to take parts of different styles and midis and make your own personalized styles, that maybe I should try this first, even though the look of the virtual kb control panel of the Live-Styler appeals to me a lot.

Scott

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#146534 - 06/16/05 11:44 PM Re: Need soft synth crash course.
Scott Langholff Offline

Hey AJ

So, I need a host app. No wonder I can't get Hypercanvas to work with anything.

Are there any freeware host apps out there? Otherwise, not exactly sure what a host app is. I thought Sonar was recording software. I do have Sound Forge 6 and Cool Edit. Are either of these a host app? I don't really know where to look for that feature.

Hi Rikki, the style maker sounds like a great idea.

Scott

#146535 - 06/17/05 12:01 AM Re: Need soft synth crash course.
Scott Langholff Offline

I see I also have Cakewalk Home Studio, Power Tracks and Midiox or Midiyoke. Will any of these work?

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 06-17-2005).]

#146536 - 06/17/05 12:50 AM Re: Need soft synth crash course.
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Scott,
being a beginner in the world of softsynths, I will try to explain things the way I see them.

If I make mistakes, AJ, Frank and Rikki can intervene and straight things up.

Imagine your softsynths as rack mounted real synths.

So, you need a rack to put them in place, before even turning them on, right? (please ignore my schoolteacher's attitude)

So, Download Brainspawn forte, install it, and you have a rack. that's what it is, at least in the very beginning.
go to preferences, see about midi input ports etc.

# You have Hypercanvas, it is a softsynth, so it needs a rack to reside on and an output buss.
Install it, load Forte, (it will search in designated places on your hard disk to find any softsynths you may have) and then go File, load etc. It will load Hypercanvas and also load an output buss and route Hypercanvas to the output buss.

Try the simplest method first. treat Tyros as a dumb midi controller, so press a key. Most probably a sound will be heard (piano?). Press the green down arrow button on the forte Hypercanvas "synth slice on the rack" (be sure you have at least 1024x768 screen resolution at first). Voila, our synth's panel. Hypothetically, the tyros transmits on channel 1 or both 1 and 2 for the layer and so on. Choose sounds on your rack (click on the vertical channel instrument name, navigate through the menus choose the sound you want. Play a little, adjust the hyper canvas internal effects knobs for reverb and chorus.

Does it work? Does the sound comes out? Does it "respond" quickly to the touch of a tyros key? or is there a noticeable lag?

#146537 - 06/17/05 03:56 AM Re: Need soft synth crash course.
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi AJ

"I use my Motif ES6 as my controller and have set up the assignable knobs as my fill in and variation buttons, which is done by selecting the proper control change ( midi cc ) for each button and then assigning it to a function in OMB" AJ Quote.

The way you stated this makes me think that you can use turnable knobs to act as on/off buttons. Is that correct?

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 06-17-2005).]

#146538 - 06/17/05 04:00 AM Re: Need soft synth crash course.
Scott Langholff Offline

If I actually go through with this soft synth thing this kb controller is the one that has caught my eye:
http://www.evolution.co.uk/products/evo_mk461c.htm

#146539 - 06/17/05 06:41 AM Re: Need soft synth crash course.
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Yes Scott, in essence I use the assignable knobs as on / off switches with OMB. I've adapted pretty well to this thanks to the interface of OMB and find it to be almost as easy as using my PA80.

You do need a host such as Forte or Chainer if Hypercanvas doesn't open as a standalone - it's been awhile since I installed it so I cannot recall if there was a standalone option, but when given the option on softsynths I usually choose Vst only. Sonar and FL are recording apps, but both will also host VST and DX plug ins. I think Soundforge will host them too right ? If so, as Trident explained, SF will need to scan the folder that you choose to install your plugins to. There should be some sort of option for this in the program.

I can open my vsts in Sonar or FL, it's just that sometimes I just prefer less clutter and CPU usage ( when I don't need to record or otherwise process ), so I instead use Chainer.

I cannot comment on Forte, except that I believe it may now be discontinued. I know FLR likes it though. I like Chainer. Both will probably do anything you need. If you need a host to try this out, you can go to this page at KVR-Audio, as these are all freeware: http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=res...=&sort=1&rpp=30

I had a dedicated controller. A Midiman 61 Usb with 8 knobs and 8 sliders. It worked fine, but I found I didn't like the keys very much, so I traded it away for some custom work on my Les Paul and a small practice amp. The ES works fine for me, except when I need a lot of controllers for a virtual analog. I'm going to have a look at the newest Korg offering. It has full size keys ( unlike their previous offering ) and drumpads as well.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 06-17-2005).]

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online