SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#145636 - 01/28/05 10:07 AM Tyros/PSR KB PRESET Styles:Why is OTS (1-4) "LEFT Part" on/off status always OFF?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
On all "PRESET" Tyros Styles which include OTS, when selecting OTS buttons (1-4), even though the stored LEFT voice selection is called up, the LEFT part's on/off status is always OFF (left voice part button light goes out, and no left voice is heard).

I can of course manually turn the LEFT part button back on, but if I then select another one of the (1-4) OTS buttons, the LEFT part is automatically turned back OFF again.

Short of re-saving the PRESET style as a new USER style, with the OTS (1-4) Left Part on/off status set to ON, there's no way I'm able to keep the LEFT part voice status turned "on", when switching between OTS 1-4 buttons.

It seems strange to me that Yamaha would go to the trouble of assigning specifically chosen LEFT voice instruments in OTS for all their PRESET styles yet have the LEFT VOICE 'on/off' status stored as OFF when actually selecting the OTS (1-4) preset buttons. btw, I DID remember to make sure the keyboard's 'FREEZE' button was turned off as well.

Ok, what's going on here? Am I missing something? In addition to my Tyros, I kind of remember that my PSR2000 worked this way as well. Curious if PSR3000 owners are experiencing the same thing as well. Is this just a bug or did Yamaha purposefully intend their PRESET style OTS Left Voice settings to work this way? I don't understand the logic of this. Can anyone else here provide an explanation?

Feedback from other Yamaha arranger owners (from: Tyros, PSR3000, PSR2100, to PSR2000) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

#145637 - 01/28/05 10:22 AM Re: Tyros/PSR KB PRESET Styles:Why is OTS (1-4) "LEFT Part" on/off status always OFF?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott. Yes the PSR3000 does just the same and I agree...it's a pain. It would have helped if there was an option to place a tick in the freeze button.

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 01-28-2005).]

#145638 - 01/28/05 10:46 AM Re: Tyros/PSR KB PRESET Styles:Why is OTS (1-4) "LEFT Part" on/off status always OFF?
Scottyee Offline

Graham. Good to hear that it's not just an anomoly (bug?) with my keyboard (Tyros) alone.

Thankfully, for most of my playing scenerios, I prefer to keep the left voice always set to 'acoustic' piano, and using my workaround method: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/010030.html able to achieve this, but there are OTHER times when I do want to utilize the Preset style's OTS 'left voice' selection as well, and this is not possible with the LEFT voice continually shutting off when merely switching between OTS buttons 1-4. This makes absolutely NO SENSE to me whatsover. Is this a major "OTS Preset Style" design flaw on Yamaha's part?

Scott

#145639 - 01/28/05 11:00 AM Re: Tyros/PSR KB PRESET Styles:Why is OTS (1-4) "LEFT Part" on/off status always OFF?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hey Scott,

I posed this question on the Arrangerworkstaion.com site back in October: http://www.arrangerworkstation.com/forum...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

And did not get a satisfactory reply. I'm with you on this one - totally frustrated.

Looks like we have another "fill to self" issue buddy!

Let's start that support writing campaign.

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#145640 - 01/28/05 11:20 AM Re: Tyros/PSR KB PRESET Styles:Why is OTS (1-4) "LEFT Part" on/off status always OFF?
Scottyee Offline

Hi Al, the response you got on your ArrangerWorkstation thread posting sounds like the typical line Yamaha gives when presented with any problem: Deny the problem, and then say that Yamaha purposely designed it that way. Funny thing is that they're NEVER able to come up with a legitimate 'playing scenario' where having the left voice OTS selection continually defaulted to OFF makes any sense. I'm really wondering if Yamaha will ever admit to and correct this 'obvious' glitch on Tyros II, because if they haven't caught on since the PSR2000 (first kb with OTS) and the PSR300 (several years later), I kinda of have my doubts. I'm exhausted after finally getting them to fix the 'fill to self' issue, so Al, perhaps you could rally this cause. - Scott

#145641 - 01/28/05 12:00 PM Re: Tyros/PSR KB PRESET Styles:Why is OTS (1-4) "LEFT Part" on/off status always OFF?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, it doesn't sound like a glitch, but by design..It would seem to me the majority of players would want the one touch setting turned off, alowing your own sound selections rather than the preset ots..It would make more sense to operate this way than having to turn off the OTS all the time...Perhaps if Yamaha allowed for the OTS settings to remain globally[user choice] it would make more sense..
When I tried to use my PSR2100, I rarely wanted to play the OTS, while performing..
BTW, I don't miss the Yammy at all..and not because of the OTS..

#145642 - 01/28/05 12:28 PM Re: Tyros/PSR KB PRESET Styles:Why is OTS (1-4) "LEFT Part" on/off status always OFF?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Scott, it doesn't sound like a glitch, but by design

Fran, are you by any chance on both Roland & Yamaha's payroll?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

It would seem to me the majority of players would want the one touch setting turned off, alowing your own sound selections rather than the preset ots..

If one chooses not to utilize Yamaha's Preset OTS voice selections, they would simply not select from the (1-4) OTS (one touch select) buttons, but make their own sound selections manually, and save these to registration for later recall if desired. It makes NO logical sense whatsover why Yamaha would assign a LEFT voice to their Preset Style 'OTS settings', and not have it heard (by default). If Yamaha did this by design, then it's definitely 'ill-designed' in my opinion. - Scott

#145643 - 01/28/05 12:54 PM Re: Tyros/PSR KB PRESET Styles:Why is OTS (1-4) "LEFT Part" on/off status always OFF?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
I did notice the same thing on my Tyros and my guess was that Yamaha kept the left hand voice off on purpose, to save polyphony.
This is not a big problem for me, because I donīt like the preset OTSs anyway and I always prefer to program my own registrations, but I understand that it can be a frustrating thing.

#145644 - 01/28/05 02:45 PM Re: Tyros/PSR KB PRESET Styles:Why is OTS (1-4) "LEFT Part" on/off status always OFF?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Are the preset OTS programmable? Can a user change them? Are they associated with a style?

#145645 - 01/28/05 03:09 PM Re: Tyros/PSR KB PRESET Styles:Why is OTS (1-4) "LEFT Part" on/off status always OFF?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Just select the freeze button and that left hand voice will remain on during the any OTS changes. You can select any voice, set up the song via a registration, with any left voice, then proceed through the OTS and you'll retain that left voice through the entire song, regardless of variation or OTS. Unfortunately, the freez itself cannot be stored in the 3000s registration, at least not that I'm aware of.

Cheers,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 01-28-2005).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online