SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#143517 - 07/12/03 11:34 PM Audience who don't know manners?
KN_Fan Offline

Okay,
Its been a few days after my acquaintence's wedding, I thought I'd share with you what I feel about what happened.

The reception was at a very nice hotel, with all the nice decorations, RSVP invitees etc..etc...off course, complete with the three piece band playing.

I was enjoying the songs (one of the band member was singing) while suddenly almost EVERYBODY (we're talking about 200 people here) started to tap their glasses with their silverware..I'm like "what the..?" Then one of the people at my desk said "Oh...that's the bride/groom's friend's tradition, everytime they do that the couple has to kiss." Okay..fine, but then THROUGHOUT the whole three to four songs this annoying thing happened which I can only imagine how the musicians feel. I kept telling people at my table...these people should have more manners. Obviously only about five people in that whole room (including me) who are musicians, heck I think I was the only one objecting to that stupid tradition. At least when you want to do something like that, coordinate with the band first or something. I was so disturbed by their ignorance and insensitivity. How inconsiderate! Am I just being to sensitive out of my solidarity for my fellow musicians??

KN

#143518 - 07/13/03 03:40 AM Re: Audience who don't know manners?
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Yes, I think you are too sensitive. This is a tradition here in Norway as well, and I think a wedding must focus on those. The music I'm afraid must take the backburner in this case. Not to say it shouldn't be good, but it is not the musicians night really.

------------------
Roy-Andrè

#143519 - 07/13/03 04:04 AM Re: Audience who don't know manners?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Roy-Andrè, you seem to be a little over sensitive on the subject. We have exactly the same tradition in Portugal.

-- José.

#143520 - 07/13/03 04:15 AM Re: Audience who don't know manners?
Dnj Offline

I actually encourage "Glass Clinging" thruout my Weddings. It's a time honererd tradition in many cultures and nationalities that has been going on for thousands of years.

Salute`

#143521 - 07/13/03 05:19 AM Re: Audience who don't know manners?
Dnj Offline

#143522 - 07/13/03 05:31 AM Re: Audience who don't know manners?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
I agree with Roy-Andrè too, this is not ment to
disturb the musicians, but to have fun.
If it was a concert it would have been different.

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#143523 - 07/13/03 05:44 AM Re: Audience who don't know manners?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Every wedding I've ever been to has this glass clinking tradition..............and yes, sometimes it does get carried away. (especially when there is an open bar!)
The new bride and groom are the main focus, and they have to tolarate this at best no matter how good the music is. They would probably prefer the band to play a loud lively polka to drown out the clinkers.............and make their getaway!

#143524 - 07/13/03 06:05 AM Re: Audience who don't know manners?
Dnj Offline

#143525 - 07/13/03 07:59 AM Re: Audience who don't know manners?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I just did a wedding yesterday, and Colonel "Clink" showed up there too! It all about the bride (and, sometimes the groom too...)so the band just has to know it's place and keep the action going.
This is the first objection I've ever heard to this widely loved tradition.
Band members have to learn their place at affairs. We are not guests, or stars .... we're hired to perform a service, and if we do that well - the crowd will love us, and PAY us...again, and again. So, to quote the writer of the Hokey Pokey........

"That's what it's all about" !

(Let the bridal party have their fun ... afterall, you only get married 3 or 4 times )

#143526 - 07/13/03 11:05 AM Re: Audience who don't know manners?
KN_Fan Offline

Oh...in that case nevermind then....I guess it was just cultural understanding

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online