SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#143329 - 07/08/03 07:42 AM Slash chords on Yamaha DGX300. Is it possible?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all.

According to the DGX 300 manual, there are no fingering options available. The keyboard responds both to single finger and multi finger chords (as usual on Yammies), but I see no way of playing slash chords (for example Cmaj7/G). However, merely by chance, I came to play some combination of notes that correspond to a slash chord. I needed five notes to do that. Example: if I add a B to the standard Cmaj7 (C-E-G-B) I get a true Cmaj/B sound. So I'm kind of confused. I couldn't find a rule to build these slash chords and the manual is not explicit about this. Is any yammie user able to tell me if it's possible to play these chords in such a basic keyboard, and if so, what is the rule to build them.

I suppose that these chords are easily obtainable in the most advanced Yamaha arrangers, like PSR 2000/2001 & Tyros.

Thanks in advance.

- José.

#143330 - 07/11/03 05:52 AM Re: Slash chords on Yamaha DGX300. Is it possible?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Isn't there a kind soul that can help me in this one?... Or do I really have to get a Tyros -- José.

#143331 - 07/11/03 06:08 AM Re: Slash chords on Yamaha DGX300. Is it possible?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Well, I'm not sure what you are trying to do but I tried a few things on my 740, and like the DGX it will only play slash chords in the accompaniment if you hit the actual note. In other words, if I play Cmaj7 (C-E-G-B) the bass in the accompaniment will play a C. If I add a G below the Cmaj7 it will play a G in the accompaniment. So if you want a slash chord you have to play the chord exactly - Cmaj7/G. Incidentally, I found the DGX fingering to be very restrictive - only multi-fingered mode and only below the split point. Also a very limited set of voices below the split. Couldn't get to grips with it. Maybe you should get a PSR. Even my old PSR220 had more features than the DGX, including all the finger modes.

Bryan

#143332 - 07/11/03 07:29 AM Re: Slash chords on Yamaha DGX300. Is it possible?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Let me remind everyone that the DGX300 and DGX500 were designed using the PSR350's chip. So, anything the PSR350 could do, the DGX keyboards can do.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#143333 - 07/11/03 05:29 PM Re: Slash chords on Yamaha DGX300. Is it possible?
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Oi José.

My Psr 290 has the same engine with the chord options of DGX300 : Only fingered and single finger.

Chico

#143334 - 07/12/03 02:19 AM Re: Slash chords on Yamaha DGX300. Is it possible?
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
If you use OMB together with a DGX300 or PSR290 you will be able to play slashchords. http://www.1manband.nl

Jos

#143335 - 07/12/03 03:13 PM Re: Slash chords on Yamaha DGX300. Is it possible?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks everybody for the input.

Bryan, what you say is true. There is only the multi-fingered (and single-fingered, which I never use) mode, quite restritive indeed. Not all the chords work OK with the prescription you suggest: chord + bass note. But some do, and that's what confused me. I thought that there was a way to always get slash chords with the DGX...

George, Thanks for your warning. I downloaded the PSR350 manual and the part refering to fingering modes is identical to the DGX 300/500.

Jos, Dank u well for reminding me the existence of your arranger software.

-- José.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online