SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#152589 - 07/06/03 07:11 PM Comparison between Yamaha and Technics
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I'd love to hear from those of you who have been able to compare the Tyros and the KN7000 and/or the PSR2000/2100 vs the new KN2400/2600.

I own a PSR2000 and am considering the new KN2600 to give me variety and also a backup. I have also played the Tyros, and even though I think it sounds great, I'm thinking most people in an audience along with all the commotion going on and with the sounds coming through a PA wouldn't notice any difference between a 2000/2100 and a Tyros. So for less of an investment and variety and a backup, I'm thinking this may be THE combination to have.

I suppose I won't know for sure until I get my hands on the new Technics, but your input could I'm sure give me some ideas to consider.

One thing I have noticed is that the demo's I hear on the internet make the Tyros sound fantastic, the KN7000 demos sound not so good IMHO. It seems to be a combination of the original sound of the KB along with how it was recorded and being played back. I am guessing by what I think I hear that the Technics method of recording the demo's gives an inferior sound compared to what it sounds like live, whereas, it seems that Yamaha really knows how to get the best sounding demo's sparring no expense in the recording process and that their demo's sound pretty much like what their intruments sound like live.

I realize it can be very misleading going by demo's on the web. I remember hearing the Korg PA80 demo, and I couldn't get over how great it sounded and thought I would just HAVE to have one. Although I did wonder how much of there demo was live play or multi sequenced. As I am really only interested in live play, the other features don't really make any difference to me. Anyway, IMHO the PA80 live did not sound as good as their demo, by far and being very kind in these statements, not to mention their 300 page rocket scientist owners manual.

Any input would be as always greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Scott Langholff

#152590 - 07/06/03 08:31 PM Re: Comparison between Yamaha and Technics
Dnj Offline

I say wait till winter namm and see what turns up?

#152591 - 07/06/03 09:11 PM Re: Comparison between Yamaha and Technics
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
What happened to Summer NAMM? Aah Yes!... 12 days and counting. See what shows up there and if you don't see anything that you'd be interested in, THEN wait for Winter NAMM or in the mean time find a store that has a Kn2600 and give IT a whirl.

Best regards,
Mike

#152592 - 07/06/03 11:07 PM Re: Comparison between Yamaha and Technics
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi ScottL. As you know, I auditioned (and at great length) both the Tyros & KN7000 and purchased the Tyros. Six months later, I'm STILL very happy with my decision.

The big deciding factor between the Tyros & KN7000 (for me) was that the Tyros' drum fills sound a lot more dynamic & realistic, propeling the rhythm (forward motion) into the next section like a 'real' drummer would. The KN7000's fills (on the other hand) unforunately emphasize orchestral voices (guitar, strings, etc) and less on the drum/percussion kit which is such an essential ingredient of pop, rock, r&b, country, and jazz music genres. This is sorelly missing on the KN7000. The other HUGE advantage of the Tyros is its impressive sounding built in vocalizer. Regretably, the vocalizer on the KN7000 sounds imo, totally unacceptable for pro performance.

I also own BOTH the Tyros & PSR2000 and have played & compared them 'side by side' and prefer playing the Tyros, by a wide margin. Particularly because of the Tyros' more realistic sounding acoustic piano sample, substantially more responsive keyboard feel (vs spongy on the PSR2000), & studier construction, hard drive option, and much better navigation (Color LCD, larger lighted buttons, direct reg bank access & 6 dedicated intro/ending buttons.

I now utilize the Tyros for ALL gigs (big and small alike) and just keep the 2000 as a backup spare. The PSR2100 is a great budget choice, but if you can at all afford the Tyros, it's well worth the price difference (imho).

If Summer NAMM brings no new keyboard offering surprises, the Tyros (imho) is still the keyboard to beat. Just my opinion of course.

Scott

#152593 - 07/07/03 06:32 AM Re: Comparison between Yamaha and Technics
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
I've not had a chance to play the KN2400/2600 but if they utilize the same sound set as the KN7000, they'll definitely be worth considering. Personally I find Technics to have better, more realistic, more natural sounds than the Yamaha arrangers. Many of the Technics sounds use more ROM memory to make up the sounds and have built in nuances that add something unique. I used to own a fully expanded Yamaha 9000 Pro and while I really liked a lot of its sounds, I tried out a KN7000 and was far more impressed with the KN7000's sounds and features.

One major downside of Yamaha arrangers compared to Technics is the sequencer and style creator is inferior. The Technics sequencer and style creator is quite frankly easier to use, more intuitive, and allows for much more complex editing than Yamaha arrangers. The KN's also allow you to do more editing of sounds than the Yamaha's allowing for a greater sound palette.

Comparing the PSR-2000 and PSR-2100 to the Tyros or KN7000 is unfair as the Tyros and KN7000 do sound better and have more features. Still the PSR-2100 will give you most of the Tyros sounds and features for a lot less money. If the Technics KN2400/2600 fall within the same price range as the PSR-2100 I would suggest you take a serious look and listen to them as I find Technics to sound better and the build quality will likely be better than the PSR-2100. Yamaha does make some decent sounding keyboards but their lower priced products suffer from poor build quality and cheap materials.

In regard to sound demo's ... never judge a keyboard by a demo that the manufacturer came up with and put on the NET. Play and hear the unit yourself so you can truly see what it is and isn't capable of. I've found many online factory demos really stink and yet the product was quite good when I heard it in person. Perhaps some manufactures don't see the benefit of having a good online demo but some companies like Yamaha do and they spend countless hours producing great demos to woo you. Don't let the smoke and mirrors get in the way and judge for yourself.

#152594 - 07/07/03 01:53 PM Re: Comparison between Yamaha and Technics
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
The KN2400 wud be close to the PSR2100, the KN2600 slightly higher in price. Haven't heard back from Technics yet, where they have dealers in Toronto. I wud definitely like to try it out. If anyone tries one of those out, please post. I am curious as well.
Starkeeper

#152595 - 07/07/03 02:04 PM Re: Comparison between Yamaha and Technics
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
The KN2400 wud be close to the PSR2100, the KN2600 slightly higher in price. Haven't heard back from Technics yet, where they have dealers in Toronto. I wud definitely like to try it out. If anyone tries one of those out, please post. I am curious as well.
Starkeeper

Starkeeper... did you try the S-Z technics page?
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 07-07-2003).]

#152596 - 07/07/03 04:14 PM Re: Comparison between Yamaha and Technics
Bluebird Offline

I think kn2600 is paired with psr2100, and kn2400 with psr1100.

You may see Synthplanet prices at:
http://shop.synthplanet.com/index.lasso?stid=synthplanet&from=

kn2600 1416 €
psr2100 1400 €
kn2400 1022 €
psr1100 1038 €

#152597 - 07/07/03 05:29 PM Re: Comparison between Yamaha and Technics
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Scott,
If you would like to hear my home made Technics demo, go to the mp3 page of my site and download KN7000 demo. The sounds are all factory settings.
Frank www.kool-keys.com

#152598 - 07/12/03 03:23 PM Re: Comparison between Yamaha and Technics
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Thanx everyone for the input. It makes the shopping part a lot easier, especially when none of these are to be found in the Pensacola area.

Frank thanx for telling me about your recordings. Nice work, BTW. It was interesting hearing the Technics sounds and styles as compared to what I hear on the Lowrey organs and Yamaha etc. Some sounds where very impressive like the brass section. I used to play trumpet in big bands, so I am usually quite critical of the horns, but this sound almost knocked me out. As Scott Yee noted there were a lot of what I would call orchestral sounds.

Well, I am off on more research. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanx

Scott Langholff

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online