SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#139859 - 10/02/05 07:30 AM Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Yamaha still does nothing for me..I don't like the key bed, drums, sequencer,and those stinking drum icons under the keys like the other Yamaha cheap models..

The only two purchases that interest me at all,are the Ketron Midjay and Roland G70.

After listening to some of the OS2 demos,I am convinced Roland has it right[will have to wait till I play it].
The Midjay, I have spent time with already,it just needed a couple fixes or update to make it to the top of "I want list"...then it or the G70 have to prove to me that it should stay on the "I need list".

The Yamaha's run neck and neck with Casio..with the repackaged models..As for sounds..keep an open mind and compare the sounds to the others[Ketron,Korg and Roland]..I prefer all of the others over the Yamaha..I think the Yamaha's have always been too thin[simular to the Proteus/Emu stuff]. The punch and fat sounds are not there, compared to Korg and Ketron..The Roland boards have a better attack to the sounds and are smoother, more realistic without the fake vibrato that Yamaha uses.

This is just my honest opinion, and I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade...to each his own...

Now where the heck is that umbrella!!!

#139860 - 10/02/05 07:54 AM Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why?
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
I really wanted one because I was hoping Yamaha had corrected some of the missing items from Tyros. From reading the specs I can't determine the following. As I would use it only for recording purposes, any info would be very much appreciated.

1) Calling up true panel voices externally.

2) It appears it still only has 4 outs and no digital out unless it is audio via firewire ( oops sorry no firewire). Most people that have studios have at least 24 inputs. Why won't Yamaha give us more outs for more flexible mixing ?

3) MTC/song postion pointer recognition.

4) Still no way to plug in a pc keyboard. I have not heard if software will be made available to emulate on board fuctions via usb from pc.

5) Sill no AES balanced mic or stereo inputs.

6) No breath controller port for wind instruments.

7) I would very much like to see a midi implementation chart.

8) Can we save a user defined default parameters power up configuration ? (I am not talking registrations here)

9) Can each part have it's own octave shift such as Korg or is it still one size fits all.

Thanks

Danny

#139861 - 10/02/05 08:08 AM Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
I'm not 100% sure yet, But probably going to do it, (if they're about 3 grand). I still love my 9k and to me it sounds terrific, but I've about had it with the memory. I have a 8gig Hd and 64mb simms, but can't keep the Hd styles in registry, they appear and disappear, and I guess I'm messing around with the settings too much or something, I wish the 9k just had about 10 gigs of flash drive, And I would be happy, But hoping to fall in love again with the TyII! Don't think I have the brain power and the drive to stay with learning something new like the G70 or pa1xpro.

Pose

#139862 - 10/02/05 08:19 AM Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why?

I'm sure everybody here already KNOWS what my decision was, and WHY as well. - Scott

#139863 - 10/02/05 11:03 AM Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Dito Scott Yee !!...Yo tambien..!!

#139864 - 10/02/05 11:08 AM Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why?
to the genesys Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pianodano:
[B]
"I have not heard if software will be made available to emulate on board fuctions via usb from pc."
Is that possible? That would be great if keyboard manufacturers would have that feature. It will show that they care about their buyers.

"9) Can each part have it's own octave shift such as Korg or is it still one size fits all."

I can not believe that the top Yamaha arrangers do not have that feature.
I like the sounds for the new Tyros. But for some one who has an arranger already, as good as the sounds are, it does not IMO justify getting a new keyboard for that price just for the sounds.

I guess I will have to wait for when Yamaha offers the Tyros II module and or a VST plugin with some of the Tyros II sounds.

#139865 - 10/02/05 11:55 AM Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why?
Dnj Offline

to the genesys & pianodano make some very valid points about diferent specs that mean alot to them and others ..........before you spend upwards of 3k you really have to take a VERY SERIOUS LOOK at whats inside & features in the TYROS II & Is It REALLY what YOU PERSONALY Need for What YOU PERSONALY want to do with it, vs the Other contenders?
If the answer is YES then your on your way to Happy Arranger Land !......
BUT if you make a purchase mistake without an educated, & LIVE HANDS ON DEMO you'll be kicking yourself for a long time to come....

Good luck everyone

#139866 - 10/02/05 06:10 PM Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why?
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
Dnj,

Yep, Thats what I've been donig for the last 2 1/2 years because of Tyros 1 (kicking myself). This time I'll make sure.

Danny

#139867 - 10/03/05 06:01 AM Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I will NOT be buying a Tyros 2 because it does not have 76 keys, they did not change the stupid music rack, the speakers are proprietary, no XLR Microphone input, no improvement in the Vocalizer (so I've heard). An extreme let down and disappointment from Yamaha.

Time to look at Korg or Roland....

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#139868 - 10/03/05 06:42 AM Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I will NOT be buying a Tyros 2 because it does not have 76 keys, they did not change the stupid music rack, the speakers are proprietary, no XLR Microphone input, no improvement in the Vocalizer (so I've heard). An extreme let down and disappointment from Yamaha.

Time to look at Korg or Roland....

Al

Seems Tyros II is more geared to Homeplayers vs Prefessionals....it might have great sounds/styles ....but its the lacking of professional features that bothers many musicians.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online