So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why?

Posted by: Dnj

So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/01/05 07:59 PM

Adding to what you have?
Replacing what you have?
Wait & See ?.....Or?
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/01/05 08:01 PM

I ordered a Tyros 2 from Dan O 12 days ago. I am at the top of his ship to list as I was the first to order. I have 11 keyboards, now to be 12 in here and will prolly be selling or ? several of them.
BEBOP
Posted by: DerfMuisc

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 12:08 AM

I also ordered a Tyros2 from Dan O. For the last couple of years I've been writing
original songs on a PSR2100 and occasionally performing them at open mics and that sort of thing. I got close to buying a Tyros several times but backed off because of talk of an updated one. From all I hear, I'm glad I did. While I think arrangers are great for writing, I agree with some people that they can sound "cheesy" live(I used to play Hammonds and Wurlitzer electric pianos and so on), expecially the drums. I think, though, the T2 could be a big improvement. Now if they just weren't so expensive. Oh, well. DerfM
Posted by: VoiceOfSpace

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 12:30 AM

I have plans of maybe buying it, just because the Tyros 1 is such a fun keyboard to have I would like to have the Tyros 2 also. But because of its high price tag I want to know more about it before I decide. I want to hear more sound samples, know more about the Internet voice/sample download feature and so on. I was not very impressed with the sound samples of it, but some instruments like the power kit drums were much better in the Tyros 2. So I will wait and see now, it's really a lot of money and I feel that it is a little over priced.

I would like to hear MORE bite from this keyboard before I'm desperate for it! Those demo samples were typical cheap sounding keyboard songs and that turned me off a little since I want it to sound good on recordings too.

[This message has been edited by VoiceOfSpace (edited 10-02-2005).]
Posted by: spalding

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 12:52 AM

I HAVE BEEN BLOWN AWAY BY THE SOUND QUALITY AND WAS REALLY SET TO BUY THE T2 TO UPGRADE FROM MY PSR8000 BUT HAVE LOOKED CLOSELY AT THE SPEC AND AM HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF A FULLY BLOWN SEQUENCER. I WILL PROBABLY BUY THE KORG PA1X IN A FEW WEEKS NOW

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 03:57 AM

WOW......some great and deversified replies......looks like this time around there is some stiff competition fro Tyros II...wth the new G70 & Pax1 right in the mix. Educated consumers are really taking a close look & rightly so when your spending your hard earned money, deciding what features are exactly right for your purposes is the key before purchasing.
Posted by: Roel

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 04:53 AM

I ordered the T2 in Juli as soon as I heard the Yamaha rep talking about the details as super articulation voices, better keys etc.

The SD1 was my buddy for 4 years and I hoped to find the G70 to be a new buddy, what turned out to be a huge disappointment.
After that I owned the PA1XPro for a while... we just did not match, so I purchased a used Tyros1... while realizing soon the Tyros2 would be there.

The Tyros1 concept fits perfect to my expectations/needs : A great sounding, easy to operate, compact, lightweight machine

Knowing the concept is T1 alike and the revolutionary sound improvement PLUS the hi-Q keys makes the Tyros2 'fit for purpose' for me !
Posted by: PraiseTheLord

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 05:17 AM

I will definitely be buying the Tyros2, to replace my current Tyros. The improved keyboard, sounds and styles make it an easy decision. Now to find the money, hopefully early in the New Year.

Graham
Posted by: rattley

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 06:58 AM

I already ordered a Tyros 2 from DanO. I bought my 3000 from him and have considered upgrading to the Tyros for the past year. I'm glad I waited.......the first hand reviews today and the A/V demos are awesome! -charley
Posted by: bchaylett

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 07:23 AM

I am buying one for the simple reason that I heard it at the launch yesterday. No doubt after that. I shall be replacing my 9000PRO.

Brian
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 07:30 AM

Yamaha still does nothing for me..I don't like the key bed, drums, sequencer,and those stinking drum icons under the keys like the other Yamaha cheap models..

The only two purchases that interest me at all,are the Ketron Midjay and Roland G70.

After listening to some of the OS2 demos,I am convinced Roland has it right[will have to wait till I play it].
The Midjay, I have spent time with already,it just needed a couple fixes or update to make it to the top of "I want list"...then it or the G70 have to prove to me that it should stay on the "I need list".

The Yamaha's run neck and neck with Casio..with the repackaged models..As for sounds..keep an open mind and compare the sounds to the others[Ketron,Korg and Roland]..I prefer all of the others over the Yamaha..I think the Yamaha's have always been too thin[simular to the Proteus/Emu stuff]. The punch and fat sounds are not there, compared to Korg and Ketron..The Roland boards have a better attack to the sounds and are smoother, more realistic without the fake vibrato that Yamaha uses.

This is just my honest opinion, and I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade...to each his own...

Now where the heck is that umbrella!!!
Posted by: pianodano

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 07:54 AM

I really wanted one because I was hoping Yamaha had corrected some of the missing items from Tyros. From reading the specs I can't determine the following. As I would use it only for recording purposes, any info would be very much appreciated.

1) Calling up true panel voices externally.

2) It appears it still only has 4 outs and no digital out unless it is audio via firewire ( oops sorry no firewire). Most people that have studios have at least 24 inputs. Why won't Yamaha give us more outs for more flexible mixing ?

3) MTC/song postion pointer recognition.

4) Still no way to plug in a pc keyboard. I have not heard if software will be made available to emulate on board fuctions via usb from pc.

5) Sill no AES balanced mic or stereo inputs.

6) No breath controller port for wind instruments.

7) I would very much like to see a midi implementation chart.

8) Can we save a user defined default parameters power up configuration ? (I am not talking registrations here)

9) Can each part have it's own octave shift such as Korg or is it still one size fits all.

Thanks

Danny
Posted by: loungelyzard

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 08:08 AM

I'm not 100% sure yet, But probably going to do it, (if they're about 3 grand). I still love my 9k and to me it sounds terrific, but I've about had it with the memory. I have a 8gig Hd and 64mb simms, but can't keep the Hd styles in registry, they appear and disappear, and I guess I'm messing around with the settings too much or something, I wish the 9k just had about 10 gigs of flash drive, And I would be happy, But hoping to fall in love again with the TyII! Don't think I have the brain power and the drive to stay with learning something new like the G70 or pa1xpro.

Pose
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why?

I'm sure everybody here already KNOWS what my decision was, and WHY as well. - Scott
Posted by: mdorantes

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 11:03 AM

Dito Scott Yee !!...Yo tambien..!!
Posted by: to the genesys

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 11:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pianodano:
[B]
"I have not heard if software will be made available to emulate on board fuctions via usb from pc."
Is that possible? That would be great if keyboard manufacturers would have that feature. It will show that they care about their buyers.

"9) Can each part have it's own octave shift such as Korg or is it still one size fits all."

I can not believe that the top Yamaha arrangers do not have that feature.
I like the sounds for the new Tyros. But for some one who has an arranger already, as good as the sounds are, it does not IMO justify getting a new keyboard for that price just for the sounds.

I guess I will have to wait for when Yamaha offers the Tyros II module and or a VST plugin with some of the Tyros II sounds.

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 11:55 AM

to the genesys & pianodano make some very valid points about diferent specs that mean alot to them and others ..........before you spend upwards of 3k you really have to take a VERY SERIOUS LOOK at whats inside & features in the TYROS II & Is It REALLY what YOU PERSONALY Need for What YOU PERSONALY want to do with it, vs the Other contenders?
If the answer is YES then your on your way to Happy Arranger Land !......
BUT if you make a purchase mistake without an educated, & LIVE HANDS ON DEMO you'll be kicking yourself for a long time to come....

Good luck everyone

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/02/05 06:10 PM

Dnj,

Yep, Thats what I've been donig for the last 2 1/2 years because of Tyros 1 (kicking myself). This time I'll make sure.

Danny
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/03/05 06:01 AM

I will NOT be buying a Tyros 2 because it does not have 76 keys, they did not change the stupid music rack, the speakers are proprietary, no XLR Microphone input, no improvement in the Vocalizer (so I've heard). An extreme let down and disappointment from Yamaha.

Time to look at Korg or Roland....

Al

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/03/05 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I will NOT be buying a Tyros 2 because it does not have 76 keys, they did not change the stupid music rack, the speakers are proprietary, no XLR Microphone input, no improvement in the Vocalizer (so I've heard). An extreme let down and disappointment from Yamaha.

Time to look at Korg or Roland....

Al

Seems Tyros II is more geared to Homeplayers vs Prefessionals....it might have great sounds/styles ....but its the lacking of professional features that bothers many musicians.

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/03/05 06:45 AM

Just don't understand the logic :

Thread title is 'who is gonna buy...' and posts that say 'I am NOT gonna buy....' appear ?

Just teasing
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/03/05 07:23 AM

Roel, you are such a trouble maker!!!

LOL!

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/03/05 10:50 AM

Yes.... you are sooo right
Posted by: DonM

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/03/05 11:17 AM

... to answer the topic question, I don't know if or why until I get to try one out for a couple of hours at least.
DonM

Re: So who is actually gonna buy a TYROS II & Why? - 10/03/05 12:24 PM

Me too DonM

Danny