SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#139337 - 10/17/05 12:32 PM PLEASE ANSWER ME
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
I'm wondering if my currnet keyboard Roland VA-76 has the "arpeggiator" thing...you press a note and it makes a musical theme. Does it have that?

------------------
Claudiu

#139338 - 10/17/05 05:39 PM Re: PLEASE ANSWER ME
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Sorry, I don't have a VA-76, so I can't help you.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#139339 - 10/17/05 09:09 PM Re: PLEASE ANSWER ME
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
No the Roland VA's do not have ("arpeggiator" thing). This feature is normally on Workstation keyboards which have no backing accompaniment styles.
Some boards do have PADS which can produce an appreggiator type loop.

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 10-17-2005).]

#139340 - 10/19/05 12:03 PM Re: PLEASE ANSWER ME
claudiu Offline

Thanks for answering me. But how come they don't have the "arpeggiator" ?...Graham: if you have a va-76...how do you rate it..on a scale from 1 to 10 and why ?

#139341 - 10/19/05 05:54 PM Re: PLEASE ANSWER ME
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Generally only workstations have arpegiators. For example the Yamaha Tyros 2 doesn't have one, but the Yamaha Motif ES does. Chony.

#139342 - 10/20/05 12:09 PM Re: PLEASE ANSWER ME
claudiu Offline

but i need the arpeggiator i think that va-76 is great..it has so many features on it..i just got it - i bought it from a new B stock because i couldn't find it anywhere !! it's been discontinued ..and you know.. i have to learn to work with it.

#139343 - 10/20/05 12:31 PM Re: PLEASE ANSWER ME
claudiu Offline

what is the difference between a professional arranger ( va-76) and a workstation ?

#139344 - 10/21/05 01:34 AM Re: PLEASE ANSWER ME
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
claudiu, if you need a instrument to provide all the accompaniment you want, you go with a arranger keyboard. the possibilities are wide, but esentially you work with the presets in the accomp area.
you would use this mainly if you perform live, by your self.
a workstation means an instrument providing more possibilities to tweak, to change, to use sounds in your own finger recorded tracks. you get also some tools you don t have with a arranger, for instance, arpeggiator, better sequencer, etc.
you would use this mainly for working in the studio, or making your own very original arrangements.
conluding, the arpegg. is a tool that belongs to workstations, not arrangers.
hope it makes sense to you!

#139345 - 10/21/05 04:28 AM Re: PLEASE ANSWER ME
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by claudiu:
[B]Thanks for answering me. But how come they don't have the "arpeggiator" ?...B]

claudiu,
The responses so far have been correct.

But your question as to why “arrangers” only have styles and “workstations” only have arpegiators is one that I often asked and should continued to be asked until it is changed.

There is no reason why flagship professional keyboards with arranger features should not have extensive editing and tweaking tools. Just because one plays with styles does not translate to not being able to create and edit sounds and styles.

Likewise, if one has a keyboard with arpeggios and extensive editing tools, should not exclude that person from playing with styles on the same keyboard. One should be able to use user edited sounds and styles, arpeggios, wave samples and have a good sequencer all on the same keyboard.

But most major keyboard manufacturers probably do not want to make the first move in making such a keyboard because arranger features (in manufacturer’s and most people’s eyes) are for the novice home user who just want to be able to sound like a recorded song. And making a keyboard with both “arranger” and “workstation” features may discourage professional musicians (traditional “workstation” users that make up around 95% of the market) from buying it. The 95% may not want to be associated with a product that is perceived with being for novice home users and not professional players. No major keyboard manufacturer is willing to make the first move and take that chance in making such a keyboard that could lead to possibly upsetting and loosing the 95% market. So that is why IMO there is still “arranger” and “workstations” both with limiting features.

In other words, major keyboard manufacturers are probably not going to try to change the major market’s opinion on arrangers by including extensive “arranger” and “workstation” features on one keyboard. They are probably prepared to let the market change its opinion by itself (by the major market seeing other persons use “arrangers” in a professional setting and by word of mouth). And if the need arises, only then they would think about making such an integrated keyboard.

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 10-21-2005).]

#139346 - 10/21/05 07:17 PM Re: PLEASE ANSWER ME
claudiu Offline

Thanks you guys for your time and for answering me. That's really smooth that you really respond to people's worries and questions. Thanks - now i know that i don't have the arpeggiator - I have a question...Can I do like..trance - house stuff on the Roland VA-76? Like effects and all that " Dj Tiesto " thing...i'm looking forward to playing like in a band for european weddings and the trance - house stuff it's just a curiosity of mine. I just want to remix chopin's stuff like take one nocturne and convert it in something house. That's cool. Thanks again, give me some advices

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online