SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#138879 - 11/12/06 04:35 PM How many of us develop our own styles?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've been reading the Mediastation review, and the one thing that jumped out at me is the acknowledgment that you really need to develop your own styles, there are not that many provided, and of varying quality. So you are encouraged to make your own.

Which begs the question...... how many of us actually DO roll their own, how well (compared to factory styles) do they tend to turn out, and how much of a PITA is it? (OK, three questions!)

Given how inconsistent even factory styles can be, and the major philosophy differences different manufacturers have (busy, sparse, complicated fills, room for the player, do everything for you, etc.), how easy is it to roll your own to the highest standards, and how many of us even try....?

And I'm not talking converting a Technics into a Roland, or anything like that. How many actually make their own......?

#138880 - 11/12/06 04:50 PM Re: How many of us develop our own styles?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I use to do it alot with technics, but not as much any more on the Yamaha.

I tweak alot of the standard styles and edit the Drum kits mainly.

#138881 - 11/12/06 05:39 PM Re: How many of us develop our own styles?
Dnj Offline

I'd love to see a demo video of the process of creating a style start to finish on the Media station...?

#138882 - 11/12/06 06:18 PM Re: How many of us develop our own styles?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It used to be very easy on Technics, and I made some for the early Yamahas. The last ones I made were for PA80, but only two.
You can do them as well or better than factory styles, but there is a learning curve and it takes some time.
It used to easier because the parts didn't have so many variations, fills, intros, endings, breaks--all of which should be programmed if you are going to do it right.
Personally I haven't had much trouble finding everything I need in the past few years.
I wouldn't buy a keyboard for which I KNEW I'd have to program a lot of styles. But then someone else may have plenty of time to do that and wouldn't mind.
DonM

#138883 - 11/12/06 07:17 PM Re: How many of us develop our own styles?
to the genesys Offline

I wouldn’t have it any other way than creating styles.

Having my own styles created by myself with my playing/performance style and technique taken in to account is a competitive advantage for me.

When I play, I am not trying to sound like the recording of a song. Most of the performance, I try to sound like a 2-6 member band. As such, I don’t make my styles with a lot of instrumental style parts. I would use 3 of the 8 style parts for drums and percussions. A bass, one or two comping instruments make up the style parts. I almost never use all 8 style parts.

Any other sounds I would use with the left and right live keyboard parts.

With copy and paste, style creation is not as long and difficult as you think.

If you stick with a keyboard for about 6 months, and consistently set-aside time to develop styles, you would be surprised as to how quickly your style library would grow.

On paper, the mediastation seems to have one of the best style creation and performance feature set for an OMB.

Note, if you use a different style for each song you play, and you like to have lots of instruments playing at one time, then style creation would not be to your benefit.

#138884 - 11/12/06 09:26 PM Re: How many of us develop our own styles?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
record a style from scratch , unfortunately no.
Technically I know how to do it, musically, I'm brain dead.

Mainly mix n match style phrases, whether from onboard styles or conversions from other keyboards. If I can't find a style to suit a song, I build it up from my phrase library.

Find trying to create Intro's & Endings the most difficult, unless they're song specific.

Can't beleive how complex some of the new T2 & PSR3k styles are. Yammies used to be so straight forward.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#138885 - 11/12/06 10:44 PM Re: How many of us develop our own styles?
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
fromtimetotimei creatye my own styleson the PA1X asi have done on all my keyboards. I have a good ear great timeing and a good imagination. In no way is this an easy thing to do.

#138886 - 11/12/06 11:10 PM Re: How many of us develop our own styles?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
The furthest I go is to use the Mix & Match parts from different styles on board my 3K.
This can produce very good and consistent results because Yamaha have already done the hard work.

#138887 - 11/13/06 12:39 AM Re: How many of us develop our own styles?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i also write new styles, when i really don t find something to match the need. there are more than one approch for this.
one easy way, to mix already existent parts into a new style. another way, to write some new parts and mix with already existent.
and the best, but also more difficult and time cnsuming, to write each part of the style by yourself, creating something original. that goes the best for me, but is not a easy thing to do.
if you are with the computers, you can do everything into a midi sequencer, creating and editing everything there as a midi file, and then extract various intervals into intros, fills, mains, endings. that is provided your instrument can convert midi to style (roland for instance).
writing the styles only using the instrument (keyboard) could take long time and you might miss many phrases or ideas you have in mind by the time you should put them on the notes. nevertheless, is always satisfactory to create and then use your own original styles.
everyone should try this!

#138888 - 11/13/06 05:35 AM Re: How many of us develop our own styles?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello All
In the old days when the number of styles available were limited, all professional players tended to write there own for there performances, however these days with style converters and the number of styles available (Probably at least half a dozen for every song that has been written) very few people need to write there own from scratch, which is why if you purchase books on style creation (Those that are still in print) they are normally older books.
In the future you will probably find that all boards will be able to play all different manufactures styles without conversion.
If you do not think this will happen, then please remember that Wersi’s new Open Art Arranger software update, can play all Yamaha styles without conversion, and I believe they are also in discussion with other manufactures
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online