SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#13494 - 05/19/07 10:47 AM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
tonyveronica Offline

Loc: Springfield, Ohio 45506
Hi Nigel,
Thanks for the info. I'll get a new battery as soon as I can, and try to find some downloadable software that transmits sysex. Can you recommend a specific program?
Thanks again
Tony

#13495 - 05/19/07 12:05 PM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
You can try Freeloader from Alesis. There are free Mac and Windows sysex tools at http://www.alesis.com/index.php?id=58,43,0,0,1,0

I haven't tried them myself as I always use the one built into the MIDI sequencer I use but they should work fine for you and they are free to try.

If the program won't recognize those .EMU files as sysex then simply rename them from .EMU to .syx That is why I did that myself when I put them up in my file archive. The .EMU extension was just what those Emu .exe tools were expecting.

#13496 - 05/19/07 12:11 PM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
Nigel Offline
Admin

And you can try them out on your Vintage Keys before you replace the battery. But if the battery was the problem then you'll have to do the same thing each time after you power off. But I'd still go ahead and try them out anyway.

The PC version of Freeloader also has sysex record which is useful if you ever tweak the patches yourself. You can send the patches back to the PC so you can keep a backup of your own customized patches in case the problem occurs again.

#13497 - 05/20/07 08:22 AM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
tonyveronica Offline

Hi again,
I went ahead and downloaded FreeLoader with no problem; I unzipped the files and installed the software. However, when I tried to open it, the following message popped up: "DispMCI Error: A device ID has been used that is out of range for your system." Not having much knowledge of programming, I really don't know what this means; the application opens, but 'sysex' on the file menu is greyed out, and I have to think it has something to do with the message.
Any ideas?
Thanks again for your help
Tony
P.S. I successfully converted the EMU files to SYX files to make things easier.

#13498 - 05/20/07 11:00 AM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
Nigel Offline
Admin

I guess perhaps that that program may not be compatible with the latest versions of Windows. It is quite old now.

Definately get MIDI OX from http://www.midiox.com/ It should work for you ..... fingers crossed.

#13499 - 05/28/07 07:53 AM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
tonyveronica Offline

Hi Nigel,
I downloaded MIDI OX and it works fine. In fact, it's a formidable programme; something tells me that if I ever learn to use it properly, I'll be using it a lot. I hooked up the EMU to the computer via a Yamaha USB-to-MIDI cable, selected it as an output, loaded the files (which loaded fine), and apparently sent the files out successfully. However, the EMU unit remains unchanged. The titles are still scrambled, and there is still no sound. Is there something in particular I need to do with the EMU while I'm sending out the sysex files, some sort of input mode or something? I can't figure out why it's not working.
Thanks again for your help
Tony

#13500 - 05/30/07 10:51 PM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Was there any MIDI receive light flashing on the Vintage Keys when you sent the data? Did any message show up on it's display? I took a look at the manual but didn't see much about receiving sysex data. The only thing of note I saw was if it was transmitted too quickly it could fail. But I would expect there would be an error message if that was the problem. Does MIDI-OX have any control over the speed the data is sent?

It is possible a flat battery could be screwing everything up. But I thought it would still work while powered up.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 05-30-2007).]

#13501 - 05/31/07 10:02 AM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
tonyveronica Offline

Hi Nigel,
Actually no, there was no display message and no lights flashed. I will check the speed, MIDI OX has all sorts of controls. I didn't know if there should be some sort of 'receiving mode' I should put the unit into, or what.
Thanks again
Tony

#13502 - 07/19/07 12:30 PM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
famous beagle Offline

Hey Nigel,

I went to your ftp site and downloaded the Vintage Keys editor, but it's a PPC file. I'm not familiar with this extension.

What does it mean and how can I open it?

The only thing I could find by searching was "Pocket PC," but that doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks!

#13503 - 07/19/07 11:41 PM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
Nigel Offline
Admin

I think that the editor is probably for PPC Macs.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online