SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#133999 - 07/24/03 06:59 PM Tyros Foot Pedal- Yamaha Rep. Steve
mr82thebar Offline

Loc: Baltimore,Md.
Why, after purchasing a couple Yamaha keyboards,including the Tyros, do we have to pat an exorbant price for a multi function foot pedal. I don't understand why Yamaha can't make a six or more station foot contoller for a reasonable price. I have owned two Solton keyboards ( Ms50-X1 ) and the six position foot controller worked on both and will even work on the Xd9, The Sd1, and the X4. The cost of that controller is about 130.00 new. compare that to the MFC-10 at anywhere from 300.00 down to 229.00. It doesn't make a bit of sense that Yamaha should treat loyal customers like that. Money, Money, Money, isn't the only thing in this world. Loyal customers are. Wake up Yamaha and do someting for you people who pay your salaries. A ticked off Tyros owner. Bob Lee

#134000 - 07/24/03 09:16 PM Re: Tyros Foot Pedal- Yamaha Rep. Steve
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Bob,
I'm not trying to talk for Yamaha here and I for one would love to see a 6 pedal type Ketron pedal be available for the Yamaha, but, in all fairness the MFC10 is a breed apart from the Ketron pedals. First of all, you can program up to 9 banks of pedal options on the yamaha (yes, I can also program 10 banks in the Ketron products as well) but I also have an expression pedal built in (Ketron charges about $50.00 for their volume pedal) and, if I need more expression pedals or additional pedals, I can plug several more individual Yamaha sustain and expression pedals into the back. This could be vary valuable to those needing more controllers. Also, their are lights on the foot controller so you can see what you are doing easily on a dark floor. So, I still think you get a lot of options available with the MFC10 which you don't get with the Ketron 6 or 13 pedal.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#134001 - 07/24/03 10:24 PM Re: Tyros Foot Pedal- Yamaha Rep. Steve
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The MFC10 is definitely a powerfully rugged beast with LOTS of pedals & many more banks of them to boot, possibly more than even Emelda Marcos had. But hey, I only got two feet, so now realize the MFC10 is WAY "overkill" for my needs. I'm a much happier camper with my new lightweight 3 pedal foot switch unit (built by TravelinEasy) which better satsifies my needs, except of course that the foot pedal activated 'fill self' on the Tyros now will only play the fill once, and not repeat, but this problem is a 'Tyros specific' issue which I only pray will be addressed by Yamaha in an OS Update. Will Yamaha do it? Your guess is as good as mine, but if they don't, I'll be looking in other directions in my future keyboard endevours.

I found the MFC10 heavy, bulky, and awkward to comfortably fit (position) underneath my kb stand. I recently sold my MFC10 and find I don't miss 'not having' all those banks of pedals in the least. - Scott

#134002 - 07/24/03 10:50 PM Re: Tyros Foot Pedal- Yamaha Rep. Steve
mr82thebar Offline

I agree George, but like Scottyee, i don't need all that the mfC-10 does. I need a simple three to six position footswitch for fills, voal harmony on and off etc. Bob

#134003 - 07/25/03 02:52 AM Re: Tyros Foot Pedal- Yamaha Rep. Steve
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
" but if they don't, I'll be looking in other directions in my future keyboard endevours.

You're kidding right....did I just miss the smilie face? Over this you're threatning to take your business elsewhere?

How about the sounds, screen, portability,styles, rootless recognition, on and on?

No offense, but were I Yamaha I would think, if the customer is that fickle let him go buy something else. I don't think the threat helps the cause at all myself....it's the cry wolf syndrome.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#134004 - 07/25/03 07:08 AM Re: Tyros Foot Pedal- Yamaha Rep. Steve
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
...I don't think the threat helps the cause at all myself....Terry

Here, here!

I'm confused. How hard is it to accomplish your goal via the front panel?

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
It's almost impossible (for me) to continuously re-trigger the foot pedal repeatedly (and at just the right moment) to achieve the effect of a continously repeating fill that holding down the PSR2000 foot pedal, or the fill button itself (on top of both the 2000 & Tyros) achieves.

Not trying to start something. I'm being serious here...I really want to know (potential Tyros customer).

mike

#134005 - 07/25/03 08:55 AM Re: Tyros Foot Pedal- Yamaha Rep. Steve
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
I'm confused. How hard is it to accomplish your goal via the front panel?(potential Tyros customer).
mike

hi Mike. GOOD question.

It's not just hard, but it's IMPOSSIBLE to achieve via the front panel, while concurrently playing as well.

As a 2 handed player who plays fully voiced chords with the left hand while my right hand plays melody & fills, it's already difficult enough for the left hand to leave the keyboard momentarily (without losing the left voice instrument) to hit a fill button, but it's VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE to be able to press and then HOLD a fill button continously thru several measures and be able to trigger the chord changes as well. The 'continous looping' fill to self function is extremely 'useful technique' to build song energy (and subsequent audience enthusiasm) thru several transitionary measures which frequently involve chord changes as well. This is IMPOSSIBLE to achieve without a foot pedal and the 'fill to self' repeating feature. - Scott

#134006 - 07/25/03 09:00 AM Re: Tyros Foot Pedal- Yamaha Rep. Steve
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
re: Scott saying," but if they don't, I'll be looking in other directions in my future keyboard endevours". You're kidding right....did I just miss the smilie face? Over this you're threatning to take your business elsewhere?

Terry: Perhaps I could've added a 'hopeful wink' to my comment.

Yes I still like my Tyros as much as ever, but am unhappy over Steve Deming's insistence that the removal of the auto repeatability of the 'fill self' feature was an intentional design decision on Yamaha's part. It sounds to me more like a coverup for a Yamaha Tyros OS programing error, as there's absolutely no reason, both practical & financial for Yamaha to have intentionally removed this critical portion of their foot pedal 'fill self' feature.

With a number of Tyros owners (& would be Tyros owners) now coming forward in agreement with me on this issue:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/006671.html

I'm remaining hopeful that Yamaha will finally acknowledge the problem and issue a bug fix. As Steve Deming stated himself, the more people he hears from about this issue, the more likely it will be fixed.

Please email Steve Deming (asst manager, Yamaha USA customer support) at: ycasupport@yamaha.com

Thanks for all help in encouraging Yamaha to do 'what's right'.

Scott

#134007 - 07/25/03 09:38 PM Re: Tyros Foot Pedal- Yamaha Rep. Steve
mr82thebar Offline

If you think that a customer is fickle after owning a PSR 500, 510, 740, 2000, and now a Tyros, then so be it. My gripe is a valid one, even though i really like most of the improvements on the Tyros. I know you can't have everything, but paying almost three hundred dollars for a multifunctional pedal, when all i need is between a three to six position foot pedal is out of the question. If that make me fickle, then i wear the title proudly. Bob

#134008 - 07/28/03 01:11 PM Re: Tyros Foot Pedal- Yamaha Rep. Steve
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Bob,

Yamaha is not trying to "make" you purchase anything. Tyros is quite functional without the MFC10. The MFC10 is an excellent MIDI foot controller, but there are other/simpler MIDI-controlled multi pedal units available. The price of the MFC10 is similar to other manufacturers hi end MIDI Foot Controllers. The MFC-10 is for the person who needs a level of versatility for the keyboard player that's not available on the competition's models. If that's not what you need, don't buy the MFC10.

Regards,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online