SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#131727 - 01/09/03 07:31 AM TYROS USB-MIDI connection problem
veneman Offline

Loc: Mierlo, the Netherlands
The TYROS USB-MIDI connection at regular moments locks-up. Most likely this is due to noise/spikes on the mains. I can reproduce this easy by switching on TL lamps (Fluoriscent Ignition lamps) A reboot of the PC is required to restore the connection.
I tried other USB ports, new quality USB cable, other PC without improvement.
During preparing for reboot Windows2000 hangs on blue screen, XP stops without sign and PC mains must be switched off and on to restart.

After the latest incident I could not restore the USB connection after reboot. Only Yamaha USB-MIDI_01 OUT is visible, the second USB out and the USB-MID-IN is not visible. Also the standard midi connection does not work.
After removing the driver, re-boot and re-connect the TYROS USB cable, trying to install the driver, neither Windows XP or W2K does not recognize the "New Device". It looks to me that the TYROS USB circuit is defective now.

Any comments or experience ???

------------------

#131728 - 01/09/03 08:25 AM Re: TYROS USB-MIDI connection problem
Roel Offline

Jaap,

I do hope your conclusion is wrong, but the signs point the direction.... I agree.
You checked the PC-USB with another USB device didn't you ? (Just to eliminate the possibily of a defective USB-port)

How could a defective Tyros-USB port lockup the PC ? Shorted power-cicuit ?

Are you telling the MIDI-out of the Tyros does not work anymore since the 'accident' ?
If this is true the problem might be bigger then your USB port.

I hope it is easy to solve and Yamaha is able to solve the HF-sensivity of the USB-port.

groetjes,

Roel

#131729 - 01/09/03 08:55 AM Re: TYROS USB-MIDI connection problem
veneman Offline

Roel,

It's absolutely not the USB port of the TYROS that locks up.

I need to reboot the PC to recover the connection while the TYROS is kept on. So it looks like that a noise/spike on the main connection of the TYROS causes the an unwanted signal over TYROS USB connection that causes the PC USB port circuitry to locks up.

I tried other equipment on the PC USB port - no problem. I tried the same with a Laptop with W2K, same problem. During reboot of W2K hangs in a "blue screen" with error message that indicates that IRQLines are lost/wrong.

Regards Jaap Veneman

#131730 - 01/09/03 12:05 PM Re: TYROS USB-MIDI connection problem
trtjazz Offline

Could be that too many IRQ's are sharing the same address and it is overloading the capabilities, 2 suggestions check how many IRQ's are sharing the same address at the same time and secondly see how much crap you have running in the backround like Anti Virus Firewall etc that is conflicting with the Tyros.
Terry

#131731 - 01/14/03 06:38 AM Re: TYROS USB-MIDI connection problem
veneman Offline

NO, Yamaha points in their instruction to configure the PC to give priority on background processes, which I configured, so you are right its likely a sensitive for their USB-MIDI driver.
In my situation I clearly proved its noise/spikes on the mains, causing unwanted signal to the PC USB that causes to lock-up the PC's USB chip. Reboot required.
Finally the TYROS USB went defect completely, requiring repair in the service shop. I'm waiting for Yamaha's answer on the subject, as others in their country also have contact with Yamaha for the same problem. As soon as I know I will put a message in this forum. Wait and See.

#131732 - 01/14/03 06:56 AM Re: TYROS USB-MIDI connection problem
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Jaap,

I hope the USB 'time out & disconnect' problems can be solved via a Yamaha Midi-USB Driver (software) update, and not require a hardware upgrade, which would more likely require having to take our keyboards into a repair shop.

Jaap, I look forward to hearing from you about what Yamaha has to say about this. Thanks for keeping us posted.

- Scott

#131733 - 01/15/03 08:13 AM Re: TYROS USB-MIDI connection problem
veneman Offline

Yip,

Yamaha Service representative did send me an Email, confirmed the USB problems (low speed and occasional disconnects) are known to Yamaha and investigation for solution is ongoing.

If I have more information I will post it. Also some other TYROS owners have contact with Yamaha and will keep me/us updated.

Anyway if you find yourself the speed and/or unreliabel USB connection a problem also inform your dealer, the number counts always.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online