SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#131640 - 09/20/05 06:30 PM I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI all,
I was on the phone earlier with Dan O in Baltimore and placed my order for the Tyros 2, anticipating a deliver in Late October or early November. This is the second time we have purchased from Dan and I want to say that He is everything you would want a dealer to be. Besides that he is really a nice guy, a musician and has been in this business long enough to know the ins and outs and make it work for all of us. I highly reccomend Dan to all of you.
Best regards,
BEBOP

------------------
BEBOP
Senior Member SYNTHZONE FORUMS Retired Moderator of Technics Forum
Bill Forrest in Central CALIF. USA
ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://www.anycities.com/bebop/

#131641 - 09/20/05 06:49 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
VegaVagga Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
HI all,
I was on the phone earlier with Dan O in Baltimore and placed my order for the Tyros 2, anticipating a deliver in Late October or early November. This is the second time we have purchased from Dan and I want to say that He is everything you would want a dealer to be. Besides that he is really a nice guy, a musician and has been in this business long enough to know the ins and outs and make it work for all of us. I highly reccomend Dan to all of you.
Best regards,
BEBOP

How much did you pay? Also, with speakers of w/o?

#131642 - 09/20/05 07:02 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

No,I did not want or need the speakers.
The cost is between you and Dan, so email him at keyboardcity@yahoo.com or phone him at 866 348 8876, and he will cut you a deal that you won't walk away from if you are a serious buyer. If you call him right now and give him a deposit you can be # 2 on his list of people to ship to, right after mine. I doubt that # 2 slot will be open for very long so don't drag your feet if you want to be an early buyer of this keyboard.
Bebop

#131643 - 09/20/05 07:23 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
VegaVagga Offline

Quote:
No,I did not want or need the speakers.
The cost is between you and Dan, so email him at keyboardcity@yahoo.com or phone him at 866 348 8876, and he will cut you a deal that you won't walk away from if you are a serious buyer. If you call him right now and give him a deposit you can be # 2 on his list of people to ship to, right after mine. I doubt that # 2 slot will be open for very long so don't drag your feet if you want to be an early buyer of this keyboard.
Bebop

Did he make you swear you won't tell the price? Come on...how much?

#131644 - 09/20/05 08:26 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
VegaVagga,
Bad question?a no no, -- a not in good taste question. But if you must know the word is that Dan is not going to charge Bebop for the new Tyros II keyboard because of Bebop?s post.

Please take this lightly, you could not buy either of these men, they're special.

John C.

#131645 - 09/20/05 08:27 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by VegaVagga:
Did he make you swear you won't tell the price? Come on...how much?

Why not call Dan VegaVagga? BEBOP gave you his number. Here it is again: 866-348-8876. It's a Toll Free number btw so you won't be out one red cent.

Speak with Dan'O and I'm willing to bet he'll give the same great deal he gave BEBOP.

Then you'll know without a doubt how much BEBOP paid.

PS: In case you didn't know it is a standing policy here at the SynthZone to publicly not give out prices that independent Dealers have given to customers or what prices independent Dealers are offering there wares for. Privately giving out the information is another matter.

I suggest you give Dan'O a call and he would be more than happy to answer all your questions... within reason of course.

Ask him for the same deal he gave BEBOP and then like I said you'll know for sure how much BEBOP paid for his. And it won't cost you a nickel to do it because the nickel is on Dan.

Best regards,
Mike

#131646 - 09/20/05 08:31 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
guys c'mon.don't ask the price(it can't be said here).Just go to them if you decide to buy.you know that they(Dan or George) can beat those online and biggies(GC,sam ash)since they own the store.

#131647 - 09/20/05 08:39 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
renig Online   content

Loc: Canada
VegaVagga, what most of the people have so far been trying to tell you, evidently without much success, is that what BEBOP paid for his Tyros2 is none of your business. Why would it matter to you what BEBOP paid?

Whether it's a new keyboard, a car, a pet, whatever, then you'll end up paying the price you and the seller have negotiated and are happy with.

#131648 - 09/20/05 11:33 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
DanO made me a really good price too. However, I'll wait til Bebop and a few others Beta-test it and get the bugs out. Then we'll see if it can replace the SD1. I'm not holding my breath though.
DonM

#131649 - 09/21/05 06:46 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
VegaVagga Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
In case you didn't know it is a standing policy here at the SynthZone to publicly not give out prices that independent Dealers have given to customers or what prices independent Dealers are offering there wares for. Privately giving out the information is another matter.

Ooops. Sorry. Didn't know about that policy.
I was just curious to see what kind of deal Dano was offering. I know the musicians buy price was posted, so the next questions is how does Dano come in relation to that.

Didn't mean any harm....

#131650 - 09/21/05 07:27 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by VegaVagga:

Ooops. Sorry. Didn't know about that policy.
I was just curious to see what kind of deal Dano was offering. I know the musicians buy price was posted, so the next questions is how does Dano come in relation to that.

Didn't mean any harm....

As he said before, he'll beat their price.
DonM

#131651 - 09/21/05 07:14 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Beakybird Offline

I have bought 4 keyboards so far from Dano. I highly recommend him.

Beakybird

#131652 - 09/21/05 07:32 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

I have bought a lot of keyboards from a lot of places but the only two I can reccomend is Matt in Las Vegas and Dan in Baltimore. The rest of them are run like a used car lot
BEBOP

#131653 - 09/21/05 11:44 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
DerfMuisc Offline

Loc: rohnert park, california, usa
Greetings. . .
I'm a new guy who's been lurking off and on
for several years. Thought it was time to step out of the shadows. Anyway, I'm on board (didn't notice the pun at first) for a new Tyros2 with Dan O. Talked to him on the phone and he sounded like an okay kind of guy, and I can't imagine a better deal. A little background. . .I've been working on some original songs on my PSR 2100 now that my real career is getting near the end (broadcast news in the San Francisco Bay Area. ..don't blame the messanger). I'm returning to a first love as a musician in the late 60's and early 70's.
Anyway, very excited about the Tyros2. I think it sounds phenomenal and maybe it'll take me to the next level. Thanks for years
of great information. User name is supposed to be "DerfMusic."

#131654 - 09/22/05 07:15 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
paulinez Offline

Loc: W. Palm Beach, Fl
I just bought my tyro 2 from Dan O. He gave me a great price. He was really terrific on the phone and explained everything fully. Can't wait until I get it.

Pauline

#131655 - 09/22/05 07:29 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Wel, it looks as if DAN is the MAN for the Tyros II.....I will call today and see for myself...
Tony Rome

#131656 - 09/22/05 07:37 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DerfMuisc:
Greetings. . .
I'm a new guy who's been lurking off and on
for several years. Thought it was time to step out of the shadows. Anyway, I'm on board (didn't notice the pun at first) for a new Tyros2 with Dan O. Talked to him on the phone and he sounded like an okay kind of guy, and I can't imagine a better deal. A little background. . .I've been working on some original songs on my PSR 2100 now that my real career is getting near the end (broadcast news in the San Francisco Bay Area. ..don't blame the messanger). I'm returning to a first love as a musician in the late 60's and early 70's.
Anyway, very excited about the Tyros2. I think it sounds phenomenal and maybe it'll take me to the next level. Thanks for years
of great information. User name is supposed to be "DerfMusic."

HI DERF,
Welcome to our forum with your first post. I guess you already know everybody if you have been lurking here for a long while.
I live in San Jose, so you are just up the hiway from me a couple hundred miles. I wold email you but you did not put up your email address.
BEBOP

#131657 - 09/22/05 07:39 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by paulinez:
I just bought my tyro 2 from Dan O. He gave me a great price. He was really terrific on the phone and explained everything fully. Can't wait until I get it.

Pauline

Wow, that's great Pauline. Happy for you and me both
Best to you
Bebop

#131658 - 09/22/05 11:57 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's hard to imagine why so many here want to buy the Tyros2 sight unseen. Yamaha's dealers must have a very generous return policy! (Many bugs aren't discovered for several weeks of use)

I read SO many posts here from folk who say 'I bought xyz synth and decided I didn't like it, so I bought abc synth, didn't get along with it, now I got an rst on order'........ are you ALL lawyers and doctors?? ;-)

I am a working professional musician, and there is NO WAY I would ever buy a keyboard after only one time playing it in a store, yet alone sight unseen. Most of the keyboards I have bought have been used on gigs by me for at least five years (got seven out of the G1000, hoping for at least that much from the G70!) and the familiarity that that length of time on one instrument can bring allows MUCH more comfort on a gig and the ability to concentrate on the music, not 'where's the Fill/Rit button on THIS one'!

Buy in haste, repent at leisure (but it will sure make you popular with your pusher - I mean dealer!).

#131659 - 09/22/05 12:17 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Roel Offline

Diki,

I must admit I made that mistake at the time the G70 was around the corner.
I was not really impressed by the demo's and even not the first show, but did order one.

After the G70 arrived and I started using it and hearing it there was HUGE disappointment. Nothing new, lots of glitches and bugs. I returned it after one day. Even after one year of upgrades more updates are needed to polish the G70.

Now I did the same again, but I have much more faith in Yamaha products than in e.g. Roland.
Since the Tyros 1 was released only ONE major update was needed to eliminate an USB device fault.

Roland : 3 or 4 in 1 year.
Yamaha : 1 .... in 3 years !!

See the difference ?

Some say they do not hear/see any revolutionary stuff in the Tyros-2.... well I'm blown away and this machine will be my buddy for sure !!

#131660 - 09/22/05 12:25 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Tony Rome Offline

Diki....Se-La-Vi...Some got more...Some got
less...never underestimate the power of someone talking themselves into or out of
something they really want or don't want...
car salesmen live by this....I guess it's the same with keyboards...what is your priority.....
Tony Rome

#131661 - 09/22/05 02:48 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

DIKI,
I can only reply to you that I have 11 keyboards here in the recording studio that go back to the Hoehner D6 clavinet. they all play and get used now and then.
I am 74 years old, have gigged half of that time and then got smart enough to go into business for 30 years. I retired and now play what I want, where I want, how I want, and can buy whatever I want. No more rude a&&holes puring drinks in my piano or down my neck, no more flat tenors using my mike, No more virtuosos wanting to play the next set, no more kids wanting a first chair in my band. Life is good Hope you get there soon
Best to you and yours,
Bebop

------------------
BEBOP
Senior Member SYNTHZONE FORUMS Retired Moderator of Technics Forum
Bill Forrest in Central CALIF. USA
ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://www.anycities.com/bebop/

#131662 - 09/22/05 03:03 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Tony Rome Offline

Bravo Billy....us OLD guys know where it's at eeh.....man enjoy it for another 74 years
and see how the music comes back around....
Tony Rome

#131663 - 09/24/05 08:38 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

YO TONY,
Well the doc sez maybe another 10 years so I think I am going on tour again for the next 9 years.Gonna load up two keyboards Tyros 2 and KN7000, Motion Sound Stereo Amp KP200S, a couple mics, and a laptop into the new motorhome and head down the road.
We toured the first time for 5 years and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Bebop

#131664 - 09/24/05 11:32 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, I've been gigging for 35 of my 50 years, no reason to slow down now!

Don't want to ruffle too many feathers, just trying to inject a little caution here. The very fact that some of you ADMIT to buyer's remorse should slow you down a bit.

Just one more question.. if you CAN play the piano, what on earth makes you want to play a 61 note keyboard? There are enough players bemoaning Yamaha's refusal to slap a high quality keybed on a high quality keyboard to make me think I'm not alone here. I would take a MUCH closer look at the Tyros if it had enough keys to play on!

By the way, Roland have only released ONE OS update to the G70 so far (1.04 to 1.10), mostly to fix the 'Band-In-A- Cathedral' voicing approach by the European programmers. They are about to release a new OS (2.0) that add several brand new features to the keyboard (including a Guitar Mode completely new to the instrument) as well as many requested features and bug-fixes. One update by Yamaha to fix a USB problem, but no new functionality? In how many years?

Not to denigrate the Tyros, but also not to denigrate the G70!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-24-2005).]

#131665 - 09/25/05 11:32 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

Dan O'Neil owner of Keyboard City in Baltimore where I ordered my Tyros 2 has his first allottment nearly sold out. After this first group is sold they will be back ordered to the next allottment.
I think this keyboard is going to be a big seller in the Technics Community.
I have been doing more research, playing more demo's and listening to the new sounds and I am getting anxious. Two of our Technic's members have also placed their order with Dan.
Bebop

#131666 - 09/25/05 06:45 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
It's one thing to hear Yamaha Reps and Dealers praise this new board.....................

It's another thing when average musicians who have played this machine in Europe or seen it demonstrated have posted some remarkable accounts of its marvels. A friend of mine saw one in England last week and was awestruck. I hope to experience the same when I get mine!!!

Does anyone know if their are differences between the European Tyros II and the one that will be in the USA? Obviously, the power supply is different, are the onboard styles the same?

#131667 - 09/26/05 12:33 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
DerfMuisc Offline

Loc: rohnert park, california, usa
Since there's been some disappointment over the Tyros2, I want to pass on to Yamaha my
appreciation for getting it right, at least from my prspective. I'd guess I'd call myself an "arranger player;" i.e., two octaves on the bottom for playing chords and three on the top for soloing are plenty (I don't do a lot of long runs up the
keys, don't know how). I wouldn't want the extra weight from any additional keys. What I do want is great sounds and styles, and as a veteran of Yammi boards for many years, I think the Tyros2 is really going to take the whole arranger thing to a new place. Also, a couple of sereo tracks for simple recording is a great plus and probably enough (why carry around a recording studio. . .that's what computers are for). I do hope the harmonizer is better than on earlier boards. If it is, that's another big step forward. I appreciate that other folks have their own needs, but for me, I think Yamaha has got it right, and that's why I've ordered the Tyros2 sight unseen (at least at this point). DerfM

#131668 - 09/26/05 01:27 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Roel Offline

Derfmuisc,
The same for me !

#131669 - 09/26/05 03:58 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
People complain that a certain board has not had an OS update...Now they complain that there are to many updates.
Roland have provided more OS updates in response to requests from owners suggestions for added requirements. Roland to their credit have followed this through with new OS updates for the players benefit. Korg is another example of listening to their customers and providing new addititional improvements.

#131670 - 09/26/05 04:51 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Roel Offline

Graham,
I'm sorry but I do someway disagree with you this time.
If a musical instrument is well designed with perfect interface and glitch-free software, updates should not be needed. (The same for other software e.g. on PC's)

I got the idea some products are developed too fast and released while not ready at all. (still glitches, missing features etc.)
All updates that are needed to get these machines working 100% are not to 'please' the customers wishes, but a result of bad manufacturer policies.

In the past there was one perfect example of Ketron to please customers. For the SD1 they developed a total new software UPGRADE 4.x for free that resulted in a much better sounding machine.

My point is :
Releasing many updates is NOT a measure of how much a company cares/listens to customers

#131671 - 09/26/05 05:19 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Roel, to the best of my knowlege, Every Version 2 update that Roland releases definately added features that improved the instrument[many not found in the competition]..
I agree that the standard OS updates primarily fix bugs[and I hope all manufacturers continue this]...but the "Version 2" is always an upgrade..

#131672 - 09/26/05 04:02 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O

Me 2. - Scott

#131673 - 09/26/05 04:05 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Roel Offline

Scott,

I knew you would order very soon

Congrats!

#131674 - 09/26/05 04:20 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

Good show Scott,
Happy to hear you are joining us with a new Tyros 2. You are the fourth one of us synthzone members that I know of that has placed an order with Dan for a new Tyros.
We are close enough that if you ever get in a jam and need a backup spare it is only 50 miles down to my place to borrow mine. Of course it is 50 miles back to your home and then another 100 miles to return it.
Hmmmm, Maybe you best just order a spare considering the price of California Gas at 3.15 for the cheap stuff.
Maybe the next Jam here at my place ought to be a Yamaha jam. Something to think about.
Bebop

#131675 - 09/26/05 10:55 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
It's hard to imagine why so many here want to buy the Tyros2 sight unseen.

Diki. I believe, I as well, was the FIRST (or 2nd) TyrosI owner here on SZ, purchasing it 'sight unseen' when it was first released. Back then too, several SZ members teased me for taking such a sight unseen plunge. The joke 'now' is that TyrosI has become one the most popular pro level arrangers keyboards owned among the SZ General Arranger forum membership.

In fact, TyrosI immediately (from the get go) became my favorite performance keyboard, and it continues to inspire me musically, both on stage and at home in the studio. Realizing that Tyros2 continues the tradition of TyrosI with basically the same (similar) OS, it includes dramatically new impressive features & enhancements that have addressed my wishes in TyrosI; just to name a few: new super articulation 'playable mega voices, new & enhanced style patterns, digital audio track recording, audio sample playback, enhanced MusicFinder features, removeable Flash Memory, future downloadable new styles + downloadable new instrument voice packs, improved keyboard response & feel.

I'm confident that my 'sight unseen' risk is far less risky this time around than with TyrosI. Will Tyros2 be as big of a success as TyrosI? I can't predict the future, but from the evidence I've 'heard': Tyros2 demos, and people I've talked to who've actually seen, heard, or played it, I'm willing to bet on its success.

As an added note, I heard (rumor?) that Tyros2 is being manufactered in Japan, and not in China, as TyrosI was. Manufactering costs are certainly cheaper in China, but I suspect Yamaha Japan wants to keep closer tabs on their new Tyros2 proprietary patent technology, as China has developed a reputation for ignoring international patent laws.

Ok. The reason I decided to order my Tyros2 now (and not later) is so I can get it early enough to have 'ready to go' for the upcoming hectic holiday performance season, the busiest time of the year for the gigging musician.

Scott

#131676 - 09/26/05 11:03 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Tony Rome Offline

Scotty.....Why To Go....I'm with ya man...we
talked and are on the same wavelenth...again
I want to congratulat you on making a good
decission.....
Tony Rome

#131677 - 09/27/05 03:32 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The new Tyros 2 is made in Japan. I have varified this with the PSR Division Manager here in Los Angeles.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#131678 - 09/27/05 04:09 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Scottyee Offline

Yep, "Made in Japan" was once synonomous with 'cheaply made' junk , but now it's analogous to fine quality & workmanship.

Ok, here's more revealing Tyros2 news I've heard :
1. Tyros2 weighs 4.63 lbs MORE than Tyros1
2. Tyros2 & Tyros1 share the same length & height, but Tyros2 is .87 inches deeper (front to back).

I suspect the weight difference may be partly the result of the promised improved Tyros2 keys, including a more weighted responsive feel & better build quality than Tyros1.

I hope Tyros2 will fit in the case I currently use for my Tyros1 keyboard: Kaces Porter w/ Wheels Model #KKP9KB, 44.5" x 17" x 6.5" http://www.aceproducts.com/porter.html

Scott

#131679 - 09/27/05 04:28 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I hope Tyros2 will fit in the case I currently use for my Tyros1 keyboard:[/URL]

Scott, it should be an easy fit, if you can fit the your Ty1 in it with the speaker brackets on. Chony.

#131680 - 09/28/05 03:03 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
OK, put me down as #8 on the order list from DanO. After seeing both Scott & Bebop order from him, I figured I'd go for it, too. One more Tyros2 to ship out to the San Francisco Bay Area!

Tom G.

#131681 - 09/28/05 03:09 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

Way to go Tom, congrats. I can see a Tyros Jam session in the making already
Best to you,
Bebop

#131682 - 09/30/05 07:19 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

I am wondering if anyone is ordering the speaker options with the tyros 2?
I did not as I have an entire wall of amps and speakers.
What is the consensus of opinion about this?
Thanks for your imputes,
Bebop

#131683 - 09/30/05 08:55 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
I want the speakers. I asked DanO to please check on the price and availability. He said he thinks the Yamaha list price on the speakers is $299 and they might go for around $199. This sounds a little high, to me. But, I would like to get them right away, if possible. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Tom G.

PS: I have other speaker options I could use, but I actually like the Tyros1 speakers and have become accustomed to them. That's why I want the T2 speakers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online