SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#129545 - 08/21/07 09:05 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Hey, I mean no disrepect to any of you fellas, but "a Tyros II is too heavy" for a busy gig schedule? Are you being serisous..., too heavy???? It weighs what 31-32 pounds..?? The T2 is what .3kg lighter than a Motif XS6? On all the forums I read regarding keyboards it's SOOOOOO rare to hear someone complain about the weight of the synths being used that weigh the same as a Tyros II, or more.

These are guys who are also in the 40's 50's, 60's.., who too have the amp and other equipment. I have to be honest..., this is the only forum I've seen where people complain about a 31-32 pound keyboard. You have to be reasonable guys. If 31-32 pounds on a keyboard is too much for you.., then I'm just lost on that one--sorry, but geez oh man.

I can't tell you the number of guys I've seen locally who gig with 61 key workstations that weigh 32 pounds or more that (again with all respect) are "older", and have no issue with the weight.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I think it just makes a person look very "whiney" to complain about a 32 pound keyboard.

I say this because it's not like pro arrangers don't already get enough disrespect out there, it really makes the arranger community look even worse when people are complaining in open forum that a keyboard that's weighs less than a Yamaha Motif XS6 weighs too much. Again I don't mean to offend anyone, but I think this issue of weight at with arrangers is so comical.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-21-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#129546 - 08/21/07 09:16 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
Dnj Offline

Mini Hijack ....If it ain't the weight its the key-feel or the size, sounds, styles, speakers, shape, design, floppy, usb, support, reliability, display, joystick, 61 vs 76 keys,lenght of keys, hard drive, fills, sliders, & yes I almost forgot Color .....round & around we go where it stops nobody knows? When is anyone gonna understand its ALL A PERSONAL COMFORT....
I REPEAT A PERSONAL COMFORT ZONE each of which is totally different then the next guy....find yours & enjoy it...forget what others are doing or in many cases what they say. Why? Because its THEIR COMFORT ZONE Not Yours.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-21-2007).]

#129547 - 08/21/07 09:18 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
squeak_D Offline

Hey I understand comfort zone man, and of course key feel, ect is understandable too, but when it comes to weight.., you really need to be reasonable. We're not talking about a 40-50 pound keyboard. It's a keyboard that weighs just over 30 lbs.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#129548 - 08/21/07 09:23 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Squeak,

When you're doing several gigs a day, everyday, every bit of weight and setup hassles really becomes important.

Not one piece of my gig gear weighs over 25 lbs and it was deliberate....and I'm proud of it.

If you don't gig often( one or more per day), then I don't see what you have to base your criticisms on...just a few weeks ago you were impressed at how light the NP-30 was....now you're bitching because some of us are smart enough to use lighter gear.

Lighten up....we know what we're doing.

Ian

#129549 - 08/21/07 09:29 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
squeak_D Offline

Ian use the gear you want.., I really don't care, but me personally..., it blows my mind to hear someone bitch about the weight of a Tyros II. If you were complaining about a G-70.., then I say yes that's debatable, but if you're gonna bitch about a keyboard that weighs less than a Motif XS6, then I say "lighten up". Sorry just my opinion.

Don't insult me in saying "you guys know what you're doing" Nothing I can't stand more than the smart ass snobbish attitude of some people here regarding the number of gigs they do against those who don't gig anymore. I gigged for years Ian. My rig probably would have put you into cardiac arrest.

Just because I don't gig anymore doesn't mean I don't have the experience in it. I can count the number of times I saw the inside of my own apartment (while giggin for years) on one hand. So what if I don't gig anymore. Last time I checked the gear has gotten a bit lighter than it was when I was into giggin full time.

I hauled around all my synths, guitars, amps, and drums. You think that was easy.., even for someone who was younger at the time? Hell no, it was a pain, but it was all about making the music man. So when I see a keyboard that does what all the Tyros II does and all of that power under 35 pounds, I say heck yeah freakin rock on man!!!!!!!!!

I just can't personally seem to understand the complaint of a Tyros II when it comes to weight. It's not like the keyboard isn't already mostly plastic.

#129550 - 08/21/07 09:38 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
ianmcnll Offline

Squeak,

Answer me this....did you do a lot of gigs with a Tyros2?

If not, then where are you getting your facts?

You seem to like to put people down yourself, calling them "whiners" when you seem to be doing plenty of whining about their choice of gear.

I'm not questioning your experience...just your logic.

Ian

#129551 - 08/21/07 09:49 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
squeak_D Offline

I'm not whining about choice of gear Ian. I don't care if you perform with a Tyros II or a Casio lighted keyboard. I just think that given the choices out there and what all these pro arrangers are doing today, you have to be more reasonable in terms of weight.

I would have loved to have a Tyros 2 when I was giggin Ian. Try hauling around a Korg M1, Korg Trinity, Yamaha SY-77, electric guitar, bass guitar, acoustic guitar, a Pearl Drum set, and all the amps and fixins. I played multiple instruments man. I was always pulling this crap in and out of my van. I hated it man, but I loved the music.

That's why it's so hard for me to accept complaints about a keyboard that weighs 32 pounds that in essence replaces all the crap I used to haul around. What you guys have available today in the pro arranger world for the single musician is awesome. Everything a Tyros II can do for less than 35 pounds is amazing thing to me.

#129552 - 08/21/07 09:56 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
As a part-time musician I'm not slugging around my Tyros 2 everyday, but even at that I don't find it all that heavy. It's very manageable. Now the G70 is a bit of a different story but even at that weight it's still manageable. Now if I were hauling it around( G70 ) to 2 or 3 gigs a day I may have a different answer, but I could manage with the T2

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-21-2007).]

#129553 - 08/21/07 10:01 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
squeak_D Offline

You have to understand Ian.., I'm not the only guy who hauled around that much equipment out there. Back then we didn't have mega voices.., and all these crazy velocity switching sounds.

When I was gigging.., if you wanted a sound like a Yamaha mega voice or SA voice, you either had the real instrument with the talent behind it or ya went without.

These arrangers today are freakin crazy with all the things they're doing. You've amazing guitar strumming that sound so realistic. You've got velocity switched drums that with some makers have awesome dynamics withint the styles that just make them jump right out at ya.

You guys really have it made today with the pro and semi pro arrangers Ian. I would think that you'd see this yourself given your history. Sorry, but it's just hard for me to swallow I guess. If I was still performing today, I without question would be using a pro arranger. I just see what all they're doing today, and every day am amazed at how far they've come, so when I see people raise issue with a 32 pound powerhouse like a Tyros II--it just confuses me.

#129554 - 08/21/07 10:07 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
ianmcnll Offline

Squeak,

I used a Tyros2 for about 6 months...it was so big in it's road case that it wouldn't fit in my Honda Accord...even across the back seats when they were lowered.

The optional speaker system didn't impress me at all, and it was fiddly to set up and take apart...and not really meant for serious gigging.

32 lbs isn't THAT heavy, but when the instrument is in a decent case (which it should be in for transporting)it was heavy and awkward.

I'm all for quality, but it doesn't(or shouldn't) come at an expense of more weight...not in this day and age.

That's why I use the S900...it gets the job done, and it is MUCH less hassle.

Ian

BTW...I got my NP-30...sure enough...no adaptor...still waiting for it...should be here any day.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online