SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#129015 - 07/21/01 10:20 PM The search for the perfect sax
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
I have read Boo's topic and have to agree with him: I LOVE the sax solo on "Just the way you are".
I agree with Boo also on the lack of interesting topics recently (maybe because many of us are off for holidays) and so (taking inspiration from Fran Carango's topic about sax sounds) have thought to ask to all the people on this board, what -in their opinion- is the best tenor/alto/soprano sax sound in all the arranger keyboards.
I love the tenor sax of my VA7 (Blowed Sax), but they sampled it with vibrato inside, so if I play sustained notes that vibrato effect becomes quite annoying. I love the tenor sax of the X1 too (heard on Notlos' songs), but didn't like too much the SD1 tenor sax (not even the Pop tenor suggested by Dan O). So this could be the right time to compare the sounds from our keyboards and maybe even record something to let other people hear and judge.
What do you think, guys?

#129016 - 07/22/01 03:29 AM Re: The search for the perfect sax
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi Dreamer.
At first I read it totally wrong, and thought
it was the "perfect sex" ,
but when I found my glasses, I could see
that you talking about sax.
Well, only joking......
I guess except from the sax'es in the KN, there's
nothing like the original, the real thing!
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#129017 - 07/22/01 05:10 AM Re: The search for the perfect sax
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Dreamer.......You are wasting your time asking Boo about the best SAX sample on a keyboard because he does not think any of them come near to the real thing..........obviously he plays the real thing and should know and he has stated before, nothing is going to compare...........possibly one day, we live in hope of a near perfect sample??

Graham UK

#129018 - 07/22/01 06:11 PM Re: The search for the perfect sax
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I have a Trombone sound on the i30 that I like. I guess Trombones are easier than Sax. The Technics has a few excellent Trumpets. The Sax sounds must be harder. I don't know why.

Trumpets and Trombones can bend a note naturally with the lip just as the Sax can. Maybe it will never happen.

The pianos, vibes and guitars to me are remarkable. And like I said before. I really like that no matter what the sound of any of the instruments are, you can't beat the fact that they are on pitch. In tune as one would say. I love it.
Boo

#129019 - 07/22/01 11:07 PM Re: The search for the perfect sax
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hey Boo,
I can still pound out a pretty mean Yak-a-tee-Sax (probably didn't spell that right) on my old 510 Yammy!
Cheers,
Nobby

------------------

#129020 - 07/23/01 08:54 AM Re: The search for the perfect sax
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Nobby,
There is a style on the 510 with which I used to play "Bo Diddly", "Not Fade Away" and "Who Do You Love?". I think it was called Rock and Roll but I'm not certain. I've never heard this beat on any of the other keyboards. I would love to have it converted, but as far as I know, nobody has been able to convert 500 or 510 styles. They were made before Yamahas Stylefile format came along.
The 510 also has some other great styles that fit specific songs. I remember one for "Lyin' Eyes" by the Eagles, of course "My Way" and a few others. It's a great little keyboard that was ahead of it's time in many ways.
DonM

#129021 - 07/23/01 08:57 AM Re: The search for the perfect sax
danb Offline

Speaking of sax, what is the best value sax that I can buy? I have a passion for playing sax but I don't have one. Do you think a 40 year old guy will still have a chance to learn to play sax? I can play it with my keyboard although the sound doesn't 100% the same with the real thing. Should I buy sax or just stick to play keyboard for the rest of my life. I can play all kinds of instruments (keys, guitar, bass, drums, percussions, but not the reeds, horns and the like).

#129022 - 07/23/01 12:35 PM Re: The search for the perfect sax
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hmmm.... I guess we are drifting away a bit. Let me be more specific: I am so crazy about the sax sound that I could buy a new keyboard just to have that killer Stan Getz sound. I know that Yamaha has a tradition about woodwinds, and the X1 had an excellent sax (not so the SD1). So what I am asking is: what do Yamaha owners think of their sax sound? Anyone heard a Motif? What about the Motif sax? And how do SD1 owners (like Roel, Notlos, John Smies, etc) compare the X1 to the SD1, sax-wise?
Thanks

#129023 - 07/23/01 01:30 PM Re: The search for the perfect sax
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi dreamer,
on the x1 suplement disk's (super solo's vol.1) there is a ""GREAT"" sax called "NIGHTSAX" This is the sound that sound like the old days when Stan Getz plays his bossa-nova's. I made sometimes ago a arrangement on jobim's "vivo sohando" (strange the title in english is "DREAMER"!)
Here i used that sax for the Getz-sound, and i found it amazing good !!!

------------------

#129024 - 07/23/01 03:05 PM Re: The search for the perfect sax
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Dreamer,

This is by far the most difficulty question you have asked, for the proof is in the sound, not the talk. So, I have recorded my basic sax sound for you, which I feel can be achieved in any of the better keyboards. My favorite player was Paul Desmond, who played an even sweeter horn that Getz. The sound is in your face, but mellow. The reason I feel this sound can be produced by almost any keyboard is because of the processing.

In My KN6000 I start with the factory Soprano panned one third to the right and the same Soprano panned one third to the left. Each has a modest Reverb, which Technics calls Bright 1. In addition the Soprano on the right has DSP on it which Technics calls Space and it is set to 100. For the most part I play this set up in the alto or tenor ranges. In the demo song I do both. Even though I generally introduce a clarinet in a big band sax section sound, the two Soprano set up works fine for section playing too, which is what you hear in the demo.

To hear this little project click on Sax on the mp3 page of: www.Kool-Keys.com

Still hangin in, but pushing hard toward age 71,

Frank

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online