SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#12816 - 07/15/00 05:09 AM Casio WK-1800
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
Anyone have the Casio WK-1800 Keyoboard? Is it any good?

#12817 - 01/18/01 01:56 AM Re: Casio WK-1800
tommyde Offline

Loc: Dallas TX USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ricok987:
Anyone have the Casio WK-1800 Keyoboard? Is it any good?

I've used it on three live gigs, and it's very good for a $400 box. Sort of like a poor man's Triton ( I have one of those also, but don't like to use it on the party/mayhem circuit).

The WK will write standard MIDI files on it's floppy drive, is setup for general MIDI playback so you can use it as a complete sequencer playback module w/speakers & amp, and it has a 76 note keyboard that is OK for driving other MIDI modules.

Has lots of other auto-accompaniment stuff that is workable, especially since the data can be played into a pc sequencer and edited. The onboard sequencer is pretty lame, and is there mainly to serve as a recorder for the auto-performance mode, as well as be a great MIDI song playback unit.
I've used it, live, to record a tune, and then played it back on the break. Worked well.
Also, the sequencer memory doesn't evaporate when you power off because it's backed up by the system battery. Pretty cool.

Most of the onboard sounds are usual GM quality (it's designed to be a GM box), with a usable piano, and an excellent acoustic bass patch. The onboard sounds can be programmed to sound much better (32 user patch locations), although the editing tools are limited.

I like it, and recommend it as a great value for an all-in-one board.

- tommyde ~

#12818 - 02/10/01 01:33 AM Re: Casio WK-1800
tommyde Offline

Loc: Dallas TX USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tommyde:
The WK will write standard MIDI files on it's floppy drive,

Oooops, I meant to say, "The WK will read standard MIDI files on it's floppy drive,".

The WK1800 will not write SMFs.

Casio dropped the MIDI ball on this one, a major flaw in any GM board, at any price.

- tommyde ~

#12819 - 02/19/01 05:19 PM Re: Casio WK-1800
CasioCloud9 Offline

I was wondering if any one of you know where to get an instrument definition for the Casio WK-1300, or how to set one up on Cakewalk. It's a pain in the butt and I've been looking everywhere.

thanks in advance

"CasioCloud9"

#12820 - 02/23/01 07:23 AM Re: Casio WK-1800
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I have a Casio WK1800 (sorry I know nothing of an instrument definition thing for a wk1300) anyways. I really didn't have much moeny at all but was really enthusiastic about getting into MIDI sequencing. I bought my wk1800 for 400 bucks and have been very pleased with it's functionality. I great training tool as well for someone learning the ropes about MIDI.
As Tommyde pointed out you can not write SMF to the hard drive but... If you have PC ( I do) and a sequencer on it, you can easily playback the stored sequence in the Casio to record it on the PC's sequencer. It took me awhile to get this right. I finally found out about setting your recording sequencer to external MIDI clock mode... What a break through that was for me!!! Yay!!

I really like the ease of use this GM box is and it's really helpful in laying down drum tracks to my PC's sequencer.

I haven't gigged yet and am planning my first gig this october. I may not use it. I also recently purchased a FATAR sl880 which allows me to express myself and use the casio's sounds. I have a Yamaha MU90R on the way. I really hoping the piano will be usable!!

Anyway, I really dig my Casio WK1800 and recommend it as a great and easy GM tool for the home studio!

RW

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online