SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#127535 - 12/02/03 07:23 AM Re: software arranger
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
Musikman,

First download version 6. The ins file feature is already there in your version 5 but there is no sequencer! Without the sequencer you can't compare it with BIAB, Jammer and XG Works.

The best way to get a Cakewalk ins file would be to ask for it at a forum dedicated to your instrument. There is some info on how to edit the ins files at http://www.1manband.nl/ins.htm .

Jos

#127536 - 12/02/03 09:47 AM Re: software arranger
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
Thanks BP for your instructions..Im going to download Version 6 and give it a go.

Joe,
The file that I pointed to BP, is the iNS file for my trinity V3. But Im kind of confused as to what this file really does.
Ok, I understand that it tell your program the name of each of the patches in my trinity.
But lets say, I want to use it with my trinity drums.. IN other words, when I play the keyboard on my Trinity, OMB will trigger drums and bass chords accordingly in real time from my Trinity sound generator.
But, Since my Trinity is not GM compatible, By changing the INS file in OMB like BP stated, will OMB trigger the correct drumsamples in my Trinity?

Or would I have to change the setup of my drumkits to match that of OMB?

I really dont know how to do that? I wish there was a way..But I wondered if BP's way will do it without doing it at the synth itself..

Thanks for all your help guys...

best,

Musikman

------------------

Musikman4Christ........

#127537 - 12/02/03 10:07 AM Re: software arranger
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
You may not have to change anything in the Trinity Musikman, so long as it recognizes the basic GM drum patches. The majority of the Yamaha xg based styles seem to use similar mapping and notes for drum sounds, no matter which drum kit you use. If this is not the case, it might be better to edit the styles themselves so that the proper drum sound plays.

What you will have to do to get the best sounds for your styles is go into the mixer in OMB and reassign the Trinity voices that you prefer to use. The .ins file is basically a compilation of the internal voices of your synth. In other words, the .ins file will activate the sounds in your board when you select those sounds in the OMB mixer, by sending the correct midi commands to the Trinity and telling it which patch and bank numbers to use.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 12-02-2003).]

#127538 - 12/02/03 12:48 PM Re: software arranger
Jos Maas Offline

Musikman,

The ins files are just for documentation. Instead of choosing patch 24 in bank 156 you will be choosing "space guitar" in the "flower power" bank. But you will need a GM or XG device for the auto accompaniment. If there is no GM bank in the Korg (I don't see one in the ins files you pointed to) then you should use another device for the accompaniment. Maybe the soundcard in your PC has a reasonable sound. You can still use the Trinity for the melody with layers and autoharmony if you use the Midi Mapper to assign channel 1 thru 8 to the Korg and 9 to 16 to a GM device.

If you are going to make your own styles then you can use the Trinty for auto accompaniment. Revoicing as BP suggested is also possible. You can use the drumtrack converter to convert the drumnotes if you first make a table that reassignes each XG drumnote to a similar Trinity drumnote.

Still with only 32 polyphony on the Trinity I would get an extra GM device.

Jos

#127539 - 12/02/03 05:43 PM Re: software arranger
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Musikman,

Another alternative are soundfonts, if you have a creative labs card installed or another softsynth available that will load and play them. Most of them are written with GM patches. There are some pretty good ones out there, including a free one called Personal copy that has very good sounds "for what it costs".

I just played the midifile of "What child is this" using the personal copy soundfont, and the sonic quality rivals that of an MP3 of the same song that was posted here by another member, played through the Tyros.

AJ

#127540 - 12/03/03 06:25 AM Re: software arranger
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
Hi Musikman, good to see you here.

If you still have the original floppy disk that came with the Trinity for preload reinstall, there is a GM set on that floppy. It will install the GM set to Bank A and the drums to Bank B. It's not the best sounds on the Trinity but at least it makes it compatible with GM. If you don't still have it, I could probably send it to you in an attachment (if I could figure out how, LOL).

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#127541 - 12/04/03 11:07 AM Re: software arranger
MusiKMan Offline

Hello TC,
thanks for all the tips guys...

Really, this is what I really want to do.
I want to be able to play the drums and Bass tracks on my Trinity, even if I have to disable the other parts..
I dont want to use the GM sounds of my trinity because, in the past I tried and it sounded horrible. THe drums track sounded like if a little kid programmed it..
But anyways, I want to use the sounds of the Trinity...
If I somehow, update what notes on my Keyboard OMB triggers, I think that will work.. I think this is the idea BP is giving me.
But the thing is, Ok, I would have to know exactly what instrument sound is on what Key when the drumkit is selected.

Sometimes, some drumkits do have the right sounds in my trinity, and are in the right keys, but somehow, others are like one octave off, or totally the sound is different.

I totally think it would be easier to tell OMB which notes to trigger. Even though its thinking its using GM or XG. Thats what im trying to learn.
I will download OMB this weekend and try it. HOpefully I can get the hang of it.

Thnk you guys.. thanks Joe..

Peace,

Musikman

PS, sorry guys for always asking the same questions, but I cant seem to get the hang of this I dont know why.

Musikman4Christ........

#127542 - 12/05/03 01:46 PM Re: software arranger
MusiKMan Offline

Guys, I loaded the GM disk set to my Korg trinity and guess what?
OMB worked like a charm !!!!

I found out what I was doing wrong.. I had all the midi channels set to internal, even though I had internal control set to off.
When I set in the trinity to Both in or out, One man Band worked so awsome !!

Im still trying to figure out how I would use OMB fully and therefore be able to not have to use my hardware arranger anymore.

For one, In my Korg I30 I have two sequencers. One that records my backing sequences.. Like bass, drums, percussion, and the other three backing tracks.. then I have another four tracks or six, I dont exactly remember, that Ican use to play my melodies..
If everything is perfect, I just use this sequencer. But, If I wanted to edit stuff, then I go to the other 16 track sequencer, and load the backing sequence as Standard midi file.

Is this possible with OMB?
I saw there was a sequencer in OMB and it looked rather simple to use, but I wonder if its possible to have the chord recognition system and me playin the keyboard in real time while it records the song. I couldnt figure that part out. I just was able to load parts of the style in different sections by just dragging and dropping them into the sequence. I want to be able to play it in realtime while OMB sequencer records it.

Also, I have Cubase VST 32m 5.1r1 and I wondered, if it was possible to do what I want with OMB and cubase at the same time.

If im able to do this, then I will definitely consider selling my hardware arranger. I couldnt believe the quality of the Sounds, plus when I was in my trinity's sequencer mode, I was able to add insert effects to some of the instruments playing from OMB...It was pretty awsome..

WOW !! So much to learn !!! Thank you Jos for this awsome program, I think it really is so close to being the best arranger program and as good as a hardware in my opinion.. I just have to figure out some more things...

Im going to try more things and I will let you guys know...

peace,

Musikman

------------------

Musikman4Christ........

#127543 - 12/05/03 02:38 PM Re: software arranger
Jos Maas Offline

Musikman,

You can't record chords in real-time in the sequencer window. But you can record a chord sequence in real-time in the song window and then use the menu file/convert-songchords-to-sequence option.

Jos

#127544 - 12/05/03 09:59 PM Re: software arranger
MusiKMan Offline

WOW !! thats an awsome option. Im going to try it out..
I also wondered if its possible to record more that one melody. what I mean, is lets say, i recorded one, then I want to add stuff on top of that one.. is this possible?

Thanks for the tip Jos...

Peace,
Musikman

PS, I still need to learn how to not have to use the midi sounds though.. but for now, Im going to try to learn OMB deeper !! Its awsome..

Musikman4Christ........

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online