SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#95866 - 12/06/03 12:44 PM Elvis can't leave the building!
Bob Wheeler Offline

Loc: Overland Park, Kansas USA
I'm playing my SD1 with an employee band for our company Christmas party. At some point there will be a "surprise" visit by an Elvis impersonator. We're going to use a midi file to introduce Elvis and when he leaves the stage.

I have a good midi of Elvis' opening theme song, Also Sprach Zahursta. The midi starts with the 2001 A Space Odyssey theme, which works great for the introduction. When Elvis leaves I need to truncate the Space Odyssey part of the midi. ( I hope this is making sense to at least some of you.)

My question is this - Is there a midi utility I can download so that I can edit the midi file. All that really needs to be done is to delete the beginning and save the midi with the new starting point.

Thanks for your help!

Bob

#95867 - 12/06/03 12:57 PM Re: Elvis can't leave the building!
Dnj Offline

Sonar will do al that stuff for ya...

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/default.asp

#95868 - 12/06/03 01:02 PM Re: Elvis can't leave the building!
trtjazz Offline

Bob,
If I am getting your Q correct, essentially any sequencing program that records midi, will also allow you to edit it in a piano roll view. If you do not want to purchase one, you can try some of the trial d/l's like power tracks or Sonar. Some of them will not let you save a file in the trial version, so you have 2 options...
1. export the file
2. re-record it midi into your keyboard.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#95869 - 12/06/03 01:10 PM Re: Elvis can't leave the building!
Dnj Offline

Another suggestion.....fast forward the Midi song on your KB Sequencer to the point past the intro and start it from there...take note of the measure number so you know where to start from when Elvis leaves the building!

#95870 - 12/06/03 01:57 PM Re: Elvis can't leave the building!
Louis-Simon Ouellet Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
you got mail!!

Simon

#95871 - 12/06/03 09:08 PM Re: Elvis can't leave the building!
Bob Wheeler Offline

Donny and Terry, I'm working on your suggestions. Thank you.
Louis, I already have the midi file you sent me. That's the one I want to shorten. Thanks for sending it.

Bob

#95872 - 12/06/03 11:19 PM Re: Elvis can't leave the building!
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Wheeler:
My question is this - Is there a midi utility I can download so that I can edit the midi file. All that really needs to be done is to delete the beginning and save the midi with the new starting point.

Thanks for your help!

Bob

Sheesh!! you guys. Your giving Bob all this "expensive" advice.

Bob, GN Midi will do what you want and it's a "free" download (fully functional) for 5 days. Here is the link for GNMidi: http://www.gnmidi.com/gnmidi.zip

After you download it, unzip it to an empty folder, eg., "GNMidi" folder. Go to Start/Run/Browse and Browse to the GNMidi folder. Double click the GNMidi.exe file, click OK to Run the program. Load your Midi File, ie., (2001 Space Odessey) by clicking File/Open then navigate to the Midi. After the Midi is opened in GNMidi you can listen to it by pressing the 'keyboard' icon near the top center/right of the program. Note the point where you want to "edit" the Midi file. Personally I use Winamp in conjunction with GNMidi and Midi's that I want to edit. You can get Winamp here: Winamp_2.91 Load the Space Odyssey midi in Winamp (after you've installed Winamp of course ) and play the Midi through - noting where you want to 'edit' the Midi. At that point (make a note of it, ie., "what part into the song, eg., 1:48, 2:00, 57 sec., 5 sec., 3:57, etc. that you want to Cut Out/Trim from the Midi file". When you've figured that out go to the third row of icons near the top of GNMidi (remember you are suppose to have loaded 2001 Space Odyssey into GNMidi also), and click on the "Cut" icon that is just to the right of the icon that looks like a 'pencil' with a red cross at the tip of it. When the "Cut" feature comes up simply cut out (shorten) the Midi by noting where you wanted to shorten it (by the Winamp method) and change the "time" of "Start" to what corresponds to your calculations you did in Winamp. eg., Start= 57 sec. instead of the normal Start time of 0:00.000 So the Start of the Midi will begin at 57 sec. into the song instead of the normal start time of the song which is 0:00.000 of course. - ( This is an Example only).

Which is what you want to do according to your statement: "All that really needs to be done is to delete the beginning and save the midi with the new starting point."

Then go to the File Menu and choose "Save As" to save the Midi to your Hard Drive or a Floppy Drive, etc.

Best regards,
Mike

Voila! you have just edited your Midi file with a new start point! Congratulations!! (If you take it upon yourself to do what I suggested of course. ) There are other ways to do what you want but they may cost you an arm and a leg to do it. GNMidi is free!

#95873 - 12/07/03 12:32 PM Re: Elvis can't leave the building!
Bob Wheeler Offline

Mike,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send a detailed recommendation. It worked just great!!
Bob

#95874 - 12/07/03 07:56 PM Re: Elvis can't leave the building!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bob, go ahead and buy GNMidi. It is inexpensive and is a very valuable tool to have. Gunter Nagler developed it and continues to support it. He deserves a little payback for all the work he's done.
Thanks,
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online