SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#125952 - 12/15/01 08:15 AM If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
9000PRo
VA-7
SD-1
PA-80.

Need, the ability for instant fast search for midi file playback.
Very good midi file playback sound.
Ability for a one man type show, not both but at least one for that.
Ease of use.
Overall quality and realibilty

thanks for the support.

only 88 post, i feel so pure, like a virgin

#125953 - 12/15/01 09:10 AM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Quick search of midi file and playback:
1)SD1
2)9000Pro
3)VA7
4)PA80
However, even though I've ranked them in what I think is the fastest to slowest, the difference between all 4 of these is very small. They are all very good for speed.
In sounds,
1)SD1
2)VA7
3)PA80
4)9000Pro
Again, the difference is very slight between the 4.
In other catagories, such as style, user friendliness, effects, etc. the orders would also change, but I'm only evaluating what you have asked for.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#125954 - 12/15/01 04:52 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
I do find it intriguing that people are still trying to decide which keyboard is #1, #2, #3 and so on . . .

Many of the "pros" that earn their living playing keyboard have switched to the Yamaha 9000PRO or other Yamaha product. Yeah, everyone knows I love my 9000PRO, and am a bit biased but when I see people like Scottyee and Uncle Dave switching to Yamaha for live performances, it does make me think that I've made a wise choice. George, you're as biased in favor of Ketron as I am with Yamaha. Frank, go with your gut.

Steve

#125955 - 12/15/01 08:43 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Steve,
I really don't think I'm so "biased" in favor of the SD1. I mentioned in my post that in evaluating only these two catagories, I would rank them in such an order. As to panel sounds, quality control, effects, user friendliness, etc. I would not have the same order of abilities. I think I have shown over the years that I recommend many different keyboards to members of this forum to fit their needs. I think in reviewing my posts over the years you would have to agree I try to show no bias in my opinions. I do however, try to answer questions with as much thought as possible to help make the decesion process a bit easier. I think all you readers know I carry in my store most of the keyboards we talk about on this forum.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

#125956 - 12/16/01 05:18 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
frankieve Offline

Thanks guys,

Also please no fighting, I wish I could be able to play both . but no store within 30 miles of me has both in stock. Actually i don't even know where I could fing a SD1 to play.

I like the idea that Solton is a company that only makes this kind of product, and can put everything in to it.

Then again Yamaha does have the money behind it to get it right.

signed confused

#125957 - 12/16/01 06:28 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Who knows......
Maybe the answer to your questions would
be Technics?
Why not tell some dealers to start support
that brand too, maybe many keyboardusers who
never tried any of the brilliant KN keyboards
would be surprised by the quality and user-
friendlyness etc.
Maybe we are spoiled here in my area, when I
go to town, I find two dealers within a 500m.
cirkle, and then most all brands are covered
The big problem is to find time enough to try
out all this great stuff.....
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#125958 - 12/16/01 10:43 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Frank,
It will come down to ease of use vs. cutting edge sounds. I believe the SD1 has a slight edge in the sound dept, but the operating system is way behind the brilliant simplicity of the 9kpro. In addition to simplicity, Yamaha has added some "spice" that the SD1 doesnot have - music finder, OTS, multi pads (correct me if I'm wrong .... SD1 does not have those)
The drum patterns on the 9k are simpler, yes - but SOOO musical and logical in progression. I appreciate the Q&A session, but these two kb's are so expensive - you really NEED to have alot of hands on time to make this desision. I was pre-sold on the SD1 in the store, and after the first set on the job .... I put it right back in the box. I could tell that it would not work well for me. Take a trip wherever you need to, but play the heck out of them both first.

George - I don't think you are biased in ANY way ! YOu like what you like (just like all of us) but you tell it like it is when asked. An informed preference is NOT bias. Keep up the good work!

#125959 - 12/16/01 10:54 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
After reading the title of this post again .... I'm thinking - why would anyone really want two (or more ) arrangers? I have a lot of gear in my studio, but they all serve a specific purpose that the others cannot.
I have the 9kpro as my main compositional/recording kb.
I have a Roland FP3 piano, because of the 88 keys and real piano action - mostly for clients that like to record on acoustic pianos.
I have the hammond XK2 organ - this is an indulgence because I got a great trade in deal on it. I LOVE the drawbars and leslie, and even if it's only for me - it's great to have in the studio.
The PSR2k is just for live work - it stays in my car all the time.. ready to go to work.
Lastly, there is "Old Faithfull" the i5S, just incase I need two setups on the same gig (happens a lot when cocktails are in a different room than the dancing)

If I ever get really satisfied with anything again - I'll get two, so one stays at home and one travels in the car. That way - I am not confused by which number registration, which organ patch etc....is which. I love simplicity. So far the Yamahas are close enough in design that I am in the comfort zone with them both, and I really only keep the Korg as an emergency backup.

Why do some of you feel the need to have several of the same kind of toy/tool in your setups? I find that I make better music when I'm NOT learning a new system or patch list. Isn't it confusing to have 3 or 4 of the arrangers on hand at once? Just curious....

#125960 - 12/16/01 11:46 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dave, you know, of course, that Frank has the PA80 you sold me. Maybe he is torn between its great features, and a couple of its drawbacks.
I would still have it if the vocal harmonizer was fully developed, or if I could afford to keep it until the OS was upgraded. I missed the ease of operation of the Yamahas but enjoyed the excellent drum sounds.
I have noticed though, that the PSR2000 drums sound more alive when playing the CVP styles. Maybe Yamaha is catching on.
DonM

#125961 - 12/17/01 06:46 AM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
frankieve Offline

Since we are letting it all hang out.

In the current band, we play a set which could include a couple of dance midi file playbacks, some arranger type assisted songs, and then songs where I play bass with my left hand and with the right I would be doing solo lines, string pads, and what have you.

I also mix the band as well. So for me to have 2 arrangers would help me in having the ability to have any keyboard at any time do any of the above mentioned.

Plus I figure why can't keyboard companies listen to the owners and manufacture their keyboards to our specs!!!

Amen

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online