Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#124573 - 11/09/07 06:23 AM Wersi Abacus Pro on YouTube
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#124574 - 11/09/07 08:36 AM Re: Wersi Abacus Pro on YouTube
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks Bill, there are a few other great videos on there as well.

Great stuff.

Ian

#124575 - 11/09/07 12:02 PM Re: Wersi Abacus Pro on YouTube
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
While not bad, I just have a feeling that this is stuff ANY decent arranger can do.

I keep hoping to hear something from Wersi that completely blows me away, and justifies it's 2 to 3X price overhead compared to a 'regular' arranger. So far, no luck.

Abacus, any links to something that REALLY shows off something totally unique. a complete step beyond? And please, no more links to bad B4 demos... If I REALLY need B4, I can run it from a $600 laptop, rather than get a $6000 Wersi...

I'd simply like to hear something twice as good as a T2 or E80, if I've got to pay twice as much. That sounded about 1X as good, for reference (IMO).

#124576 - 11/09/07 12:45 PM Re: Wersi Abacus Pro on YouTube
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I don't care for that piano sound at all. Maybe it's a poor resolution, and his playing is kinda corney and choppy, but I was not at all impressed by something that HAS to cost a bundle !

#124577 - 11/09/07 12:54 PM Re: Wersi Abacus Pro on YouTube
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
There are several artistes on the UK organ club circuit who use the Abacus and you really have to hear one of them to appreciate the difference There is something about the orchestral sounds which stand out fron any other keyboard I've heard and I speak as a confirmed Tyros 2 fanatic. I just have to say that, to my ears, the Abacus is the only keyboard that really does sound like a full orchestra on stage.

#124578 - 11/09/07 01:06 PM Re: Wersi Abacus Pro on YouTube
Diki Offline

Sadly, the call for that (at least where I play!) is extremely limited. In the US, there isn't nearly the market for theater organ and ballroom music as you get in Europe, something that often sets us at odds with most arranger manufacturers.

If the Wersi rocked harder, or jazzed smoother, or funked your brains out better than the Big 3, it might stand a better chance over here, but there just isn't much of a Reginald Dixon fan club over here..!

Sadly, the influence of American pop music on the world is pervasive, but it's influence on the voicing and style making for arrangers is still a bit behind the curve. Wersi, especially, still feels mired in the ballroom Burt Kaempfurt, Klaus Wunderlicht beer-hall scene, which may do wonders for their sales in Germany, but leaves most Americans a bit cold, IMO.

But the next time the majority of my repertoire consists of light classical works and schlager, you can be assured I'll take another look at the Wersi's!

#124579 - 11/10/07 03:08 AM Re: Wersi Abacus Pro on YouTube
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Typical American arrogance

#124580 - 11/10/07 06:41 AM Re: Wersi Abacus Pro on YouTube
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
I am actually with Dikki on this one. There is noway you can tell just from the sound why this instrument costs so much. But i am sure in terms of the way it can use VST's etc that might add some credibility to the cost but not 3-4 times as much more expensive.

#124581 - 11/10/07 07:23 AM Re: Wersi Abacus Pro on YouTube
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Trevorjohn is correct, have a listen to a UK player and you wouldn’t think it was the same instrument. (And this applies to all makes)
As an example listen to the Hammond organ in the hands of a continental player (The late Great Klaus Wunderlich for instance) and it sounds like a completely different instrument to when it is in the hands of UK/American players. (As Diki pointed out)
Regards

Bill

#124582 - 11/10/07 11:01 AM Re: Wersi Abacus Pro on YouTube
Diki Offline

Not arrogance, really, just practicality... Firstly, let me remind you I AM from England, and know all about the great love for theater organ sound over there (I used to sell organs in Colchester thirty years ago). However, despite 25 yrs in the States, I am STILL convinced it is a minority appeal, save with a VERY dedicated niche audience.

The thing is, unless Wersi show us here in the States that they ARE capable of sounding contemporary, and sadly, no demo I've heard yet manages that (even when they DO manage to sound a bit more contemporary, it is often drowned in a bath of Euro-reverb), no technical feature is going to attract a vast pool of players that play music the Wersi seems unsuited for.

The pace of music change and innovation in the States is a different kind of beast to most music that Wersi owners seem to like. Everything from jazz to rock and roll, to R&B and soul, to hiphop and rap was INVENTED here. But when we hear them in the States, played on theater organ derived arrangers (Wersi's roots are firmly in that camp) there is just something WRONG!

Perhaps it is just that we are not a generation and an ocean apart from the source music, I don't really know. But so far, as I said, I've heard nothing yet from Wersi that doesn't give me a 'beer-hall' taste in my mouth, and I would REALLY like to be shown otherwise.

So... any Wersi links for something that you would think a $10k arranger SHOULD sound like?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online