SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#123881 - 02/06/02 01:54 PM PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
OK, I'm really CONFUSED & FRUSTRATED now !

I finally got thru to Yamaha and spoke to the PSR keyboard technical support rep. He informed me that though a chip upgrade replacement is now available, that the chip upgrade replacement cost (both the chip & labor) would ONLY be covered by Yamaha if the keyboard was actually broken (and that it corrects that problem). I explained to him that mine is indeed broken because it doesn't do what I thought Yamaha had originally intended: save fingering modes in registration memory and save left voice parts with the right/layer parts in Memory Reg Contents, thus not able to create custom 'voice only' registrations which include the left voice. He then 'half heartedly' agreed with me and told me to have my local repair shop contact him (Yamaha).

After contacting Yamaha, my local repair shop told me that Yamaha informed them that they (Yamaha) may possibly not cover the cost of the chip upgrade, and that, if I wanted the chip update, that I may be responsible for covering the expense myself if my PSR2000 is not actually broken. I immediately called Yamaha back to attempt to find out what's going on. They told me that ROM chips updates are not necessarily released to correct problems, but to instead, add new enhanced features. Now I'm in a big dilemma. Is Yamaha actually going to cover the cost of the chip replacement or not? I'm still waiting for an answer from them. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I'd like to hear other people's thoughts & experiences on this issue.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-06-2002).]

#123882 - 02/06/02 02:57 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
cosel Offline

Loc: cyprus
Allthough one cannot compare the price of a PSR2000 with that of the Wersi Abacus,
please note that Wersi has sent to their customers FREE of charge numerous update CDs for the OAS series instruments including the Abacus Keyboard,which not only update the System Software with bug fixes and addition of new features,but usually come with extra Sampled Sounds,Styles,RealDrums and TotalPresets as bonus.
OAS software is currently in version 3.30.
The whole update process takes some minutes and a reboot of the sytem.
Just to mention a different approach ...

#123883 - 02/06/02 03:21 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I still haven't gotten a reply from Yamaha. Remembering the trouble and time I spent trying to have my 740 repaired, I'm not all that surprised. Now I see on another thread that Larry's response from them came with a warning not to post that response on any websites. I know for me ( and only me ), that my response in light of the recent things that Yamaha has shown me about its commitment to customer service, is to swear off Yamaha products for good, unless I see a vast turn around in the way they do business. That is a personal decision, and I can't speak for what anyone else will do, but this is the second time I've been burned by Yamaha. It won't happen again. Unfortunately, that won't cure the current OS problems with the PSR2000 I have now.

I am stuck for an answer here Scott. Maybe a consumer helpline in a newspaper or publication.. maybe airing our problems with Yamaha on this on an even more public forum would help, but Yamaha seems not to care what we say anyway, so that may not work either.

Every time I've contacted Korg with a question or comment, even if the comment was not particularly a positive one, I've gotten a prompt response. In fact, when I had my MZ2000, I got much more help from Casio, a company that for many people does not have a very good reputation for service, especially for their keyboards.

Korg AJ

#123884 - 02/06/02 03:25 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Sottyee,
Hey I'm gonna let you in on something here about Yamaha and how they do the chip upgrades.. It's interesting to see this topic regarding the PSR-2000. You see, Yamaha did the same thing with their EX series workstations. When the EX-5 and EX-7 were first released they were loaded with bugs, and buyers were outraged about it. We all (including myself, because I owned the EX-7), asked about chip upgrades and we got the exact same answer that was given to you about the PSR-2000. Yamaha wanted to charge us too for the upgrades, even though they knowingly released a keyboard full of bugs. I will bet you money that Yamaha new about these bugs in the PSR-2000 before it was released. This is where the Yamaha Corp. really bites the big one. When we asked for upgrades for our EX's, Yamaha asked us what specific problems we were having with our units, and even though they knew the units were faulty they still tried to charge us for them. It took months, and months of our complaining and threats of filing suit and boycoting their company for them to finally listen. Eventually they made the upgrades free to all registered owners. I bet they're going to do the same thing with the PSR-2000.... Sounds like the EX series all over again...........

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#123885 - 02/06/02 04:56 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I honestly don't know what to think. I'm more disappointed in their response to the situation than to the situation itself.
I can't change keyboards right now, even if I wanted to. But when it comes time later this year, Yamaha will be last on my list of companies with which to spend my money.
They could easily salvage this whole affair by confessing that they screwed up and dealing with it in an open and honest manner.
DonM

#123886 - 02/06/02 05:22 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
MarcK Offline

Anybody know a good lawyer? Do I smell a class-action suit? Yamaha would be wise to remember (learn?) the first rule of business -- the customer is always right. Especially when the company really screws the customer over. Good luck, Yamaha..... You've got the keyboards pretty down pat.....now figure out how to run a decent business.

#123887 - 02/06/02 05:30 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
[ Eventually they made the upgrades free to all registered owners. I bet they're going to do the same thing with the PSR-2000....

Squeak[/B][/QUOTE]

Now that you mention it. I didn't get a registration card with my keyboard. It has the limited warranty (90 days labor , 1 year parts) in the the manual, however it says record the information , and keep for your records. Do not mail. The survival kit (if purchased ) has a 2 year warranty. So I am not a registered owner.

Jerry

#123888 - 02/06/02 05:32 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
squeak_D Offline

WOW!! I'm not at all surprised that this is now an issue with the PSR-2000..... Yammie really is messing things up with their customers. Again it was the same way with the EX series (and several other keyboards they made) Yamaha has a hard time admitting that they screwed up. I remember when I first ordered the chips to upgrade my EX-7.. I told the tech all the problems I had with the board and the tech acted as if I was an idiot and told me there's nothing wrong with my keyboard and I would not get a OS upgrade without paying for it.. The Yamaha Corp. can really be jackasses when it comes to the issue of chip upgrades.. They know the keyboards are faulty, but they don't follow up and offer the upgrades free like they should. I had a few choice words with a Yamaha tech who told me I would have to pay $140.00 just to get the upgrade. I told him why in the hell should I pay $140.00 for their mistake...?? That's really bad business if you ask me. Yamaha is always releasing these keyboards full of bugs, then have the nerve to tell us we have to pay for their mistakes..... My suggestion to all the PSR-2000 owners is this..., Do the same thing we had to do with our EX's.. RAISE ALL HELL WITH THEM! Legally Yamaha is at fault and they know this.. If the keyboards are not working as they should then Yamaha is obligated to fix the problem. It's all listed in the warranty... If you get enough people complaining about this, Yamaha will turn around and offer the free upgrades. Honestly I don't know why Yamaha still does the chips anyways.. One of the reasons they were giving us a hard time with the upgrades for our EX's was because of the price they had to pay for them.... It would have been so much more cost efficient for them to have set the PSR-2000 to be upgradable via floppy.. It worked so well with the PSR-9000, why can't they do it with the 2000? Again I think Yammie needs a complete overhaul in their company, and should start fixing these problems.. They don't realize how much of an impact forums like this one can have on their sales..........

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#123889 - 02/06/02 05:36 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Here's a copy of the email I sent them today:

>>>>>>quote:

I am outraged at the news that Yamaha is not prepared to address the problems with this keyboard! The manual clearly states that the operation system is in flash memory for future updates, and now that the BUGS are starting to show up - Yamaha is turning their back on the buyers saying that the upgrades will be a ROM chip, and NOT covered by warrentee! Ther are many things that are supposed to work that DON'T and as a consumer - I want them fixed at YOUR expense...and quckly. I am a full time, professional musician and I depend on my keyboard to support my family. I can't afford to have it in the shop for weeks at a time.
The biggest problems are in the registration memory.
1) it WILL NOT remember fingering choices
2) it will not remember vocal harmony choices
3) it will not remember vocal effects settings !!
ALL important things that the registration is designed to do! Please respond and tell me how you are prepared to fix these MAJOR flaws so I can continue to enjoy your products. I belong to many discussion groups that push your products, and the new buzz on the net is NOT a positive one. visit: www.synthzone.com and look under the "general arranger discussions"
You'll see many other disatisfied Yamah owners that are getting ready to dump your products if they are not dealt with in a more professional manor.
Please excuse any typing or spelling errors - I am a musician - not a clerk.

#123890 - 02/06/02 05:51 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
squeak_D Offline

Just had a thought everyone.. Every owner of the PSR-2000 pull out your manual and look at your warranty.. I just looked in the manual for my PSR and they ALL have this basic warranty .... and it state precisely this.." If during the first 90 days that immediately follows the purchase date, your new, Yamaha product covered by this warranty is found to have a defect in material and/or workmanship, Yamaha and /or its authorized representative will repair such defect without charge for parts or labor..." Also the warranty states the unit should be free of defects in materials and/or workmanship... Another point... If your manuals state that your keyboards are supposed to have a flash upgradable OS, and they aren't honoring this, then it's false adverstisment... Like I said guys and gals.. You have to do what we did with our workstations and get on their butts... They can ignore one of you, but they can't ignore everyone....

Squeak

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online