SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#119990 - 01/03/07 05:10 AM My first 5 minutes with the SD5
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Here goes,

picked it up, wow it's allot heavier than my T2.

Turned it on and the first thing I noticed was it was exactly like the SD1 display.

I did not have it hooked up to a PA yet, so I just had it playing through it's own speakers.

a funk style was already selected so I just hit a chord and my first reaction was " man these drums are going to blow these speakers "

went through a bunch of styles, played some sounds, screwed around with the midi files.

So as sounds go I found myself looking for the extras of the T2, especially in the guitar and trumpet sounds,. there were no extra vibrato or string slides and such.

Noticed I was spoiled with the realism of the solo sounds on the T2. I ketp saying to myself this sounds very synthy shen playing the SD trumpet and brass, the strings were very filling, big and thick sounding, not as detailed as the T2 but I think better for thickin up stuff.

Played a couple of organs which I was leaning towards the SD on these, they just seemed more pleasing to me and more real. I did notice that when I turned on the Rotor effect, there was a massive click then the sound was gone then came back, probably a software glitch.

I also miss or am spoiled from, the one touch settings linked to styles, or suggested sounds for a style, or maybe I just don't know how to activate it.

Also miss the ability to hit a variations and have a fill bring me into it. I know you can use the jump feature and a variation will bring you to the next variation but I liked determining where it was going first.

Not as many sounds as the SD1 or T2. the meat and potatoes sounds are there.

I still need to figure out the best way to switch from style to midi file to style for live playing. I'm not quite sure if they have changed the filing system or is it still constricted to 8 characters, (bummer)

So far I'm still on the fence.

the drums and bass are much more in your face and live sounding which gives me the feeling of a more motivating playing experince, but not sure if I like the rawness of the whole thing yet,

Tonight I'll put them both through my Bose PAS's and see what's I think

#119991 - 01/03/07 05:52 AM Re: My first 5 minutes with the SD5
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi
There is a Poll on Jazzhooves http://www.jazzhooves.com/page10/page10.html of which the results are quite amazing.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#119992 - 01/03/07 06:01 AM Re: My first 5 minutes with the SD5
frankieve Offline

I really feel that the SD5 will be my choice for live performance, but the T2 still has the beautfil SA voices which I feel for recording can not be beat.

So if I can combine them to make a super arranger.........

#119993 - 01/03/07 06:26 AM Re: My first 5 minutes with the SD5
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Frankieve thanks for posting what you think so far. I like what you had to say....especially since UPS will be delivering my T2 today.

Abacus, very interesting poll for sure.

I'll be MISSING IN ACTION while I explore the T2. I told my wife she won't be seeing much of me either over the next couple of weeks.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 01-03-2007).]

#119994 - 01/03/07 07:08 AM Re: My first 5 minutes with the SD5
frankieve Offline

Stephenm52 do you mean that you are using the T2 for recording or the other features that the SD5 seems to not have ?

As an arranger though there are some features that the SD5 have that the T2 does not. Velocity controlled stop/start the reset to beat 1 button. the on the fly live buttons for bass to lowest, instant 2nd voice add on. direct voice pre-selection.

OMG these arranger have so many things that make me go back and forth, it's like a tennis match

#119995 - 01/03/07 07:30 AM Re: My first 5 minutes with the SD5
montana Offline

Loc: red lodge,mt,usa
Frank, Good luck with your new keys.

#119996 - 01/03/07 07:39 AM Re: My first 5 minutes with the SD5
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
Stephenm52 do you mean that you are using the T2 for recording or the other features that the SD5 seems to not have ?

As an arranger though there are some features that the SD5 have that the T2 does not. Velocity controlled stop/start the reset to beat 1 button. the on the fly live buttons for bass to lowest, instant 2nd voice add on. direct voice pre-selection.

OMG these arranger have so many things that make me go back and forth, it's like a tennis match

Frank, no I don't do much in the way of recording. It's the other features that the T2 has that the SD5 doesn't have that you mentioned.

I agree with you it's like a tennis match going back and forth.

I like what I heard of the SD5 features and also the PA800. If I could have demoed a PA800 or the SD5 there's a chance I would have bought one of them (most likely the PA800), kept my PSR 3000 and used both. There were a number of reasons I went with the T2 one of them being the ease of transitioning from the PSR 3000 and the CVP 307 Clavinova. The learning curve is small in comparison to starting over with the Pa800 or the SD5.

Good luck with the SD5.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 01-03-2007).]

#119997 - 01/03/07 08:37 AM Re: My first 5 minutes with the SD5
frankieve Offline

looks like someone sabatoged the poll of Tyros vs Ketron

#119998 - 01/03/07 09:29 AM Re: My first 5 minutes with the SD5
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Mine will be here in a few days.

#119999 - 01/03/07 11:44 AM Re: My first 5 minutes with the SD5
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks. man! I'm feeling better about the SD-5; paerticularly because I have so much time with the MS 60 and Ms 40.

good info...

Russ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online