SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#118704 - 01/16/06 01:14 PM Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :)
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Right on, chas...unless those tunes happen to be from the country of Brazil!

Russ

#118705 - 01/16/06 01:20 PM Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :)
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Squeak,

Most of the musicians that I've known in my lifetime are fairly passionate folks, but there are some who seem to be even more driven in that direction. I am one of those I think, and it appears that you are too.

I've always felt sort of a camaraderie with you Squeak, since at the time we owned them, you, Linda Fus, and I seemed to be the only members on the planet who thought that the MZ2000 was worthy of anything at all. We seemed to shoulder a lot of ribbing and anti casio stuff back then, though I must admit that a good bit of it was fairly tame and of good nature. Since then, another mainstream member ( Fran ) has joined the ranks, but I guess I gotta wonder if he even counts, since he also seems to be at times a little less than enthusiastic about the Yamahees, and he still plays a medieval dark ages arranger ( G1000, and ya know I'm just kidding Fran ).

I think for me, at some point instead of continuing to getting ticked off at someone else, it's easier to just let out what I really think bluntly, and then move on, even if it's the wrong approach ( It almost certainly is, but OTOH I've never been much good at hiding what's on my mind ). Just as I thought might happen yesterday, when I was pretty much glued to the computer for most of the day, I feel much better physically today and my day is a pretty normal one, and I'm not annoyed at all anymore. It just isn't that important.
Sometimes I do step back a little when I think I might be taking this stuff a little too seriously Squeak, but it doesn't last very long. Usually it's a quiet thing and noone even notices at all. maybe that would work for you. Either way, I'd like to keep in touch.

I'm very much in tune with my Sicilian heritage in so many ways, except for two very big exceptions. First is, in most cases, I don't hold onto a grudge for very long, but that's mainly becasue I'm just too damned busy to care enough to do so. Second thing, and this is most unusual..... I've never ever ever seen any other Sicilian with such a small nose like mine.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-16-2006).]

#118706 - 01/16/06 01:24 PM Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :)
to the genesys Offline

Here we go again. Some one makes a harsh comment and gets atacked for making that harsh comment. Then the person who made the harsh comment decides to leave. This has happend a few times for the pass few months

Again it all comes down to how you say what you say.

Just like if a person decides to post a work, he should remember that there could be some negative replys (whether asked for or not), so should a person who post a negative reply be prepared that their post could cause other negative post about their post.

I always think that if you are posting on a public forum using the written word, it pays to be tactfull in how things are said especially negative things that could hurt the feelings of others.

I just don't think it is wise to communicate on a public internet forum where you are using the written word the same way as you would talking face to face with some one you know. If you do then days like these would always happen from time to time.

Squeak, I really hope you stay and continue to give your contribution on different topics. Although I don't always agree with everything you say, It is always good to get your comments especially since you have an interest with synts. Also, we need as much persons to show the world that there is life beyond Yamaha.

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 01-16-2006).]

#118707 - 01/16/06 01:54 PM Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :)
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Ian,

I just saw your post, and I want to take this opportunity to offer my sincere condolences. I know that has to be rough.

I'd like to start over myself. There is absolutely some validity to the points that you were trying to make, and I think there was some validity to the points I was trying to make as well. It would have been better if I had tried to take a little higher road than I did and not let my frustration get in the way.

I saw that you are a Yamaha clinician, and crticized you solely on that premise alone, which really had nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Yes, some of my experiences with Yamaha service have been, um let's say, less than optimum. That has absolutely nothing to do with you, since I've never even encountered you in a business situation. It was plain and simple wrong of me, and I wish to sincerely apologize for it.

I too have a rough go at times. I have a spinal condition that sometimes limits what I can and can't do. I fractured C4 many years ago, and 5 of the discs in that area are badly herniated. perhaps that sounds a little bad, but in reality, most days it only marginally affects me. Unfortunately yesterday wasn't one of those days. Still, that is absolutely no excuse for me to lash out like I did. I'd like to tell you that the meds caused it, but even I don't believe that crock of.. um .. well you gt the point.. lol. Normally I only get annoyed at myself, and then usually after I start thinking that I've been feeling a wee bit too sorry for me. That's pretty counterproductive as well.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-16-2006).]

#118708 - 01/16/06 02:02 PM Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :)
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Squeak,

Good luck to you wherever you decide to go. As for me, nothing here has ever really offended me, and I look at everyone on this forum as a professional in one way or another. Everyone seems to have something to contribute, sometimes it may not be what you want to hear, but most of the time it's something based upon their knowledge and experiences in the world of music.

As for the ego trips about the keyboards, they usually bring a chuckle to me, especially when the person making them has never touched, played, and in many cases seen up close and personal, that particular keyboard.

There are no experts when it comes to music--just folks who claim they are!

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#118709 - 01/16/06 02:23 PM Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :)
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks AJ for your sympathies.
I have been struggling through the stages of grief these past few weeks,and I don't know sometimes what one I'm in...I guess it may be a combination of sorrow and anger.
To make it more difficult,my uncle was the last surviving member of my family,and now the reality of being alone is striking harder.I had grown close to him over the last few years as I was his only caregiver.
He was the one who bought me my first keyboard so he was pretty special.Without him,I would have never been able to have a career in doing what I love.
Feeling sorry for myself and my situation ,is certainly not a good thing to hang on to,but sometimes it feels good to feel bad...if that makes any sense.
Having a physical setback can be very frustrating,especially when it keeps you from enjoying your music...I have been there and truly understand.
I had two of the fingers on my left hand severed in a knife fight as a teenager...and luckily the fingers were saved,albeit at a loss of dexterity....it took years to regain any real use of them and was one of the reasons I embraced the arranger keyboard when it was introduced.The fingers bother me sometimes...but it is nowhere near what back pain can do...my experiences with it were mild compared to having a ruptured disc.
Thank you for your forgiveness,
Ian
BTW...Yamaha haven't always been wonderful to me either...they can be rather cold, as most big money making companies can be.Mostly it's been a good experience.

#118710 - 01/16/06 02:32 PM Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Are you guys trying to say we're all human and that we screw up sometimes?
Except me of course, because I'm an exspurt.
(X is an unknown quantity. Spurt is a drip out of control.)
Seriously, I appreciate what you both have said, and I'm not even directly involved, except that it's "family". As Gary often says, "gettin' old ain't for sissies", even when it happens to us young guys.
DonM

#118711 - 01/16/06 03:48 PM Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :)
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Speaking about being human...imagine this guy's temptation.

The Keyboard
A Yamaha man is struggling through a bus station with two huge and obviously heavy suitcases when a stranger comes up behind him and asks," What's that on your wrist?" The Yamaha man sighs, puts down the suitcases and turns around. After glancing at his wrist he says "it's a new Yamaha portable keyboard."
"Hey, that's a pretty fancy instrument " The display is unbelievably high quality for a mere portable ,and when the Yamaha man presses a key, the piano sound is simply astounding - smooth and perfectly audible, without the tinny sound you might expect from a speaker that could fit on a keyboard that went on your wrist. The stranger is struck dumb with admiration.

"That's not all", says the Yamaha man . He pushes a few more buttons - it has more than a dozen - and tiny but very high-resolution color display appears on the screen .: " I haven't got it all programmed yet - but most of the functions are working."

"I want to buy that keyboard !" says the stranger. "Oh, no, it's not ready for sale yet; I'm still working out the bugs", says the Yamaha guy . "But look at this:", and he proceeds to demonstrate that the keyboard is also a very creditable little FM radio receiver with a digital tuner, a pager with thermal paper printout and, most impressive of all to the now drooling listener, has capacity for recording up to 300 standard-size songs, "though I only have 32 of my favourites in there so far" says the Yamaha man.

He starts playing "Moon River" and the stranger has never heard anything like those amazing un-tinny voices coming out of the tiny keyboard on the Yamaha man's wrist.

"I've got to have that keyboard! ", says the stranger.

"No, you don't understand; it's not ready....."

"I'll give you $1000 for it!"

"Oh, no, I've already spent more than....."

"I'll give you $5000 for it!"

"But it's just not....."

"I'll give you $15 000 for it!"

And the stranger pulls out a checkbook. "I've just got to have that keyboard!"

"But...". The Yamaha man stops to think. He's only put about $8500 into materials and development, and with $15 000 he could make another one and have it ready for merchandising in only another half a year. $15000?"

The stranger frantically finishes writing the check and waves it in front of him. "Here it is, ready to hand to you right here and now." The Yamaha man abruptly makes his decision. "Ok", he says, and takes off the keyboard . They make the exchange, the check for the keyboard , and the stranger starts happily away.

"Hey, wait a minute", calls the Yamaha man after the stranger, who turns around warily.

The Yamaha man indicates the two suitcases he'd been trying to wrestle through the bus station. "Don't you want the batteries?"

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 01-16-2006).]

#118712 - 01/16/06 04:08 PM Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :)
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Squeak,

I wish you would stick around. I've always appreciated your comments and your enthusiasm for Casio and other products. I too feel that the Casio line presents real value for the dollar. Many times I have wondered if the added expense we pay for the other brands really justifies the benefits received. You have always kept us informed and I would miss your input. If we can't convince you to stick around, God bless you, You will be missed!

Tom

#118713 - 01/16/06 11:50 PM Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :)
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Hi Squeak,
take a good night's sleep and in the morning you will realise that your family and well being matters most thank any word exchange in written form, in any forum.
You already have "fought" many "fights" more serious than that already, and you will probably see more in the years to come, but this IMHO, is not a reason to quit.
Arguing is a way of life for me, and here at work, we always are tense, we exchange words, we cuss at each other, but 5 mins later we are fine, because the reason we fought about is over, and we realise that every person had an opinion and was defending it.
There is no right or wrong in personal opinions, especially those that involve matters with no substance, as liking a genre of music or a football team.

The two sayings that I like are "Opinions are like A@@holes, everybody has one"
and
******Deleted******* as required.

Apologies to those offended by the second one.
Theodore

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 01-17-2006).]

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online