I'm out Folks! !! Peace :)

Posted by: squeak_D

I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 10:45 AM

Well after over five years here at the Zone I've decided to move on. Things here aren't what they used to be. The climate here has changed considerably.

This forum used to be a place where we could share all our ideas and opinions about our keyboards, gigs, and just life in general. Sadly it's not the same forum.

Posting a honest reply to another member shouldn't result in negativity from other forum members. We should be free to voice our opinions without being bombarded with 3rd grade retaliation techniques, and the old "mine's bigger than yours attitude", and the truly sad "let's see you do it better mentality".

I strongly feel that there is a bias on this forum towards Yamaha keyboards. I'm not the only one either. Even though it's the "General Arranger Keyboard Forum". Negative remarks towards Yamaha's (even when they're true) result in childish behavior from other members either in a direct post or private emial.

I won't even get started on the emails I've had sent to me from other members just becaused I said something negative about Yamaha arrangers. All I have to say about that is too all who think their Yamaha is "it and the only one" need to come off their high horses and understand that Yamaha is not the only keyboard out there.

I've said it in a recent post and I'll say it again (just cleaner) If you got the guts to post a composition for criticism here on the Zone, then you better have the guts to take that criticism both negative and positive. Sugarcoating your opinions doesn't help anyone.

Thanks to all the members here who have been helpful to me over the past 5+ years. For that I'm thankful. I've talked to some very interesting people over that time through the Zone and outside of it as well. Good luck to you all in your plans for the future with your music. I hope all goes well for you.

At this point I just prefer to check in every so often and read posts. I no longer have the desire to participate in any discussions or offer opinions (even when asked) about any user compositions or anything else.

I came to this forum as a Synth Junkie just getting into arrangers. Sadly the same jerks are on both sides. For all those synth junkies who think the synths are the world and the arrangers are the dirt beneath their feet, I've learned from this forum there are just as many arranger players who feel just the same--only on the oposite side.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter what you are "synth junkie", "arranger junkie", making music is the same on both sides. We just all do it in different ways.

Also thank you Nigel for providing a place for us players to meet from all corners of the world.

Forever and a day, and Peace Out!
Squeak
Posted by: Dnj

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 10:49 AM

Good Luck to you Squeak!
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 11:23 AM

Squeak...what are you doing?.....you going to leave me and a few others...naked[that means without support], when we disagree and do not have the same passion for an instrument that the majority loves..

Go take a nap!!! ....and we will see you later..

BTW..Squeak and I have had different opinions with some subjects....even strong differences, and they have never influenced my view of the person...only the subject matter at hand...

I do find some of Ian's points have merit..especially, if critical opinions do not appear to be asked...I think Neilsh, really only wanted us to hear the G70 for its sounds, and his excitement for the instrument..

I also agree that as AJ stated..you do leave yourself opened for criticism..good and bad, so we have to at least be prepared for it....All criticism can be done without blatant put downs...that is what constructive is all about...
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 11:55 AM

Good luck Squeak. I will miss you.
Kevin
Posted by: DonM

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 11:58 AM

Go play with your squeak-toy for a day or so. Take a little break and stick around. As you know, the trouble-makers don't stay around long. . .and I'm not even sure what the fuss is about, as I just sort of skim over the arguments and look for the good stuff.
DonM
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 11:59 AM

I have to admit, I've been feeling equally frustrated here on Synthzone (though feeling the opposing negatism towards Tyros2) of which I currently owh. I've grown sick & tired of those few blow hards here (you know who you are) who keep having to remind me (and the rest of us) what a pro musician you are, and how many gigs you have, or how much $ you make. Frankly, I don't care whether a member is a big $ making pro or amateur (who often can play better than some of us pros here anyway). For me, it's all about making music on an arranger keyboard (no matter which brand/model you got). I've long wished discussions here focused more on the universal things all us arranger players SHARE in COMMON: Posting our arranger produced songs, and sharing playing techniques specifically applicable to arranger playing, no matter what brand/model.

Ok, I own a Tyros2 arr keyboard, but also appreciate other brands/models as well, and if you check my posts, my comments made to song posters, are almost always about the MUSIC, not so much about whether this brand/model kb's sax sounds better than another one. We need to look beyond Equipment. What I listen for in one's music to shine thru (no matter which KB is utilized) is the keyboard player's personal music message. That's "what really counts" in music to me. - Scott
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 12:12 PM

Man, you can't go anywhere until you publish photos of that great restored Firestone bike!

I understand your frustration! I just laugh at the "my keyboard is better than yours", or other ego driven posts trying to "one-up" others. By nature, performers are competitive
and many are ego driven.

Let it roll off. Laugh to yourself, and keep in contact with those of us who would miss your passionate input.

I'm one of them!

Russ

PS: If it would help, let's get together, start a fire and melt a pile of those damn, plastic, grey Yammies! (JUST KIDDING, FOLKS...HONEST!).

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 01-16-2006).]
Posted by: cgiles

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 12:13 PM

Hey Squeak, isn't this like committing suicide to spite someone else. That rarely achieves the desired effect. I guarantee that the guys will forget you long before you forget the guys. If you enjoy participating in the forum then stick around, if not, then by all means leave. Butttttt, usually the guys that are TRULY disenchanted just leave and don't bother to make an announcement to that effect. I know how frustrating and emotional cyber-communications can be, but it's like road rage; you just have to suck it up and keep driving (safely). I recently bought a PA1x pro to go with my Tyros 2 and am half-heartedly looking for a G70.....that's so I can comfortably argue on both sides of every issue (GEM, Ketron, and Casio don't count ). C'mon, suck it up, brother. If I were to be perfectly honest, your own initial response to the G70 post wasn't exactly a "warm fuzzy". Of course I can only speak for myself, but, if I had invested over 5 years in a cyber-community, I wouldn't let one post that rubbed me the wrong way send me packing. But whatever you decide, whatever direction you decide to go in, STAY AWAY FROM COUNTRY TUNES .

chas
Posted by: Mainer

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 12:56 PM

Just a general comment or two.

You ain't seen nothing compared to the Organ users lists that I used to belong to way back. Total bickering every minute.

Most of this stuff is a guy thing with ego's and whos got bragging rights to the best toys ETC. The human element is what I'm talking about. I've gotten some real stingers in the past and I woke up and said to my self who gives a shit if some rude rear end somewhere gets the last word. Trust me ignoring what you don't like speaks louder then any rebuttal. I love this forum although I have little to contribute.

The talent and willingness to help out other musicians is unmatched in most other forums and especially the ones I have belonged to. I hope Squeak takes a day to cool a little and come right back, he contributes a lot and is a valuable member. As A matter of fact I think 99 % of the memebers are valuable.

Jerry
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 12:58 PM

Dear Squeak and AJ

I am writing this post to let you guys know that I am sincerely apologetic for upsetting you.I had a bad month due to the death of my uncle, who I cared for the last several years ,and that may have affected the way I treated you guys.

I am truly sorry for offending both of you. I hope my actions will not affect our friendships.

Sincerely,

Ian
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 01:14 PM

Right on, chas...unless those tunes happen to be from the country of Brazil!

Russ
Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 01:20 PM

Squeak,

Most of the musicians that I've known in my lifetime are fairly passionate folks, but there are some who seem to be even more driven in that direction. I am one of those I think, and it appears that you are too.

I've always felt sort of a camaraderie with you Squeak, since at the time we owned them, you, Linda Fus, and I seemed to be the only members on the planet who thought that the MZ2000 was worthy of anything at all. We seemed to shoulder a lot of ribbing and anti casio stuff back then, though I must admit that a good bit of it was fairly tame and of good nature. Since then, another mainstream member ( Fran ) has joined the ranks, but I guess I gotta wonder if he even counts, since he also seems to be at times a little less than enthusiastic about the Yamahees, and he still plays a medieval dark ages arranger ( G1000, and ya know I'm just kidding Fran ).

I think for me, at some point instead of continuing to getting ticked off at someone else, it's easier to just let out what I really think bluntly, and then move on, even if it's the wrong approach ( It almost certainly is, but OTOH I've never been much good at hiding what's on my mind ). Just as I thought might happen yesterday, when I was pretty much glued to the computer for most of the day, I feel much better physically today and my day is a pretty normal one, and I'm not annoyed at all anymore. It just isn't that important.
Sometimes I do step back a little when I think I might be taking this stuff a little too seriously Squeak, but it doesn't last very long. Usually it's a quiet thing and noone even notices at all. maybe that would work for you. Either way, I'd like to keep in touch.

I'm very much in tune with my Sicilian heritage in so many ways, except for two very big exceptions. First is, in most cases, I don't hold onto a grudge for very long, but that's mainly becasue I'm just too damned busy to care enough to do so. Second thing, and this is most unusual..... I've never ever ever seen any other Sicilian with such a small nose like mine.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-16-2006).]
Posted by: to the genesys

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 01:24 PM

Here we go again. Some one makes a harsh comment and gets atacked for making that harsh comment. Then the person who made the harsh comment decides to leave. This has happend a few times for the pass few months

Again it all comes down to how you say what you say.

Just like if a person decides to post a work, he should remember that there could be some negative replys (whether asked for or not), so should a person who post a negative reply be prepared that their post could cause other negative post about their post.

I always think that if you are posting on a public forum using the written word, it pays to be tactfull in how things are said especially negative things that could hurt the feelings of others.

I just don't think it is wise to communicate on a public internet forum where you are using the written word the same way as you would talking face to face with some one you know. If you do then days like these would always happen from time to time.

Squeak, I really hope you stay and continue to give your contribution on different topics. Although I don't always agree with everything you say, It is always good to get your comments especially since you have an interest with synts. Also, we need as much persons to show the world that there is life beyond Yamaha.

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 01-16-2006).]

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 01:54 PM

Ian,

I just saw your post, and I want to take this opportunity to offer my sincere condolences. I know that has to be rough.

I'd like to start over myself. There is absolutely some validity to the points that you were trying to make, and I think there was some validity to the points I was trying to make as well. It would have been better if I had tried to take a little higher road than I did and not let my frustration get in the way.

I saw that you are a Yamaha clinician, and crticized you solely on that premise alone, which really had nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Yes, some of my experiences with Yamaha service have been, um let's say, less than optimum. That has absolutely nothing to do with you, since I've never even encountered you in a business situation. It was plain and simple wrong of me, and I wish to sincerely apologize for it.

I too have a rough go at times. I have a spinal condition that sometimes limits what I can and can't do. I fractured C4 many years ago, and 5 of the discs in that area are badly herniated. perhaps that sounds a little bad, but in reality, most days it only marginally affects me. Unfortunately yesterday wasn't one of those days. Still, that is absolutely no excuse for me to lash out like I did. I'd like to tell you that the meds caused it, but even I don't believe that crock of.. um .. well you gt the point.. lol. Normally I only get annoyed at myself, and then usually after I start thinking that I've been feeling a wee bit too sorry for me. That's pretty counterproductive as well.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-16-2006).]
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 02:02 PM

Squeak,

Good luck to you wherever you decide to go. As for me, nothing here has ever really offended me, and I look at everyone on this forum as a professional in one way or another. Everyone seems to have something to contribute, sometimes it may not be what you want to hear, but most of the time it's something based upon their knowledge and experiences in the world of music.

As for the ego trips about the keyboards, they usually bring a chuckle to me, especially when the person making them has never touched, played, and in many cases seen up close and personal, that particular keyboard.

There are no experts when it comes to music--just folks who claim they are!

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 02:23 PM

Thanks AJ for your sympathies.
I have been struggling through the stages of grief these past few weeks,and I don't know sometimes what one I'm in...I guess it may be a combination of sorrow and anger.
To make it more difficult,my uncle was the last surviving member of my family,and now the reality of being alone is striking harder.I had grown close to him over the last few years as I was his only caregiver.
He was the one who bought me my first keyboard so he was pretty special.Without him,I would have never been able to have a career in doing what I love.
Feeling sorry for myself and my situation ,is certainly not a good thing to hang on to,but sometimes it feels good to feel bad...if that makes any sense.
Having a physical setback can be very frustrating,especially when it keeps you from enjoying your music...I have been there and truly understand.
I had two of the fingers on my left hand severed in a knife fight as a teenager...and luckily the fingers were saved,albeit at a loss of dexterity....it took years to regain any real use of them and was one of the reasons I embraced the arranger keyboard when it was introduced.The fingers bother me sometimes...but it is nowhere near what back pain can do...my experiences with it were mild compared to having a ruptured disc.
Thank you for your forgiveness,
Ian
BTW...Yamaha haven't always been wonderful to me either...they can be rather cold, as most big money making companies can be.Mostly it's been a good experience.
Posted by: DonM

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 02:32 PM

Are you guys trying to say we're all human and that we screw up sometimes?
Except me of course, because I'm an exspurt.
(X is an unknown quantity. Spurt is a drip out of control.)
Seriously, I appreciate what you both have said, and I'm not even directly involved, except that it's "family". As Gary often says, "gettin' old ain't for sissies", even when it happens to us young guys.
DonM

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 03:48 PM

Speaking about being human...imagine this guy's temptation.

The Keyboard
A Yamaha man is struggling through a bus station with two huge and obviously heavy suitcases when a stranger comes up behind him and asks," What's that on your wrist?" The Yamaha man sighs, puts down the suitcases and turns around. After glancing at his wrist he says "it's a new Yamaha portable keyboard."
"Hey, that's a pretty fancy instrument " The display is unbelievably high quality for a mere portable ,and when the Yamaha man presses a key, the piano sound is simply astounding - smooth and perfectly audible, without the tinny sound you might expect from a speaker that could fit on a keyboard that went on your wrist. The stranger is struck dumb with admiration.

"That's not all", says the Yamaha man . He pushes a few more buttons - it has more than a dozen - and tiny but very high-resolution color display appears on the screen .: " I haven't got it all programmed yet - but most of the functions are working."

"I want to buy that keyboard !" says the stranger. "Oh, no, it's not ready for sale yet; I'm still working out the bugs", says the Yamaha guy . "But look at this:", and he proceeds to demonstrate that the keyboard is also a very creditable little FM radio receiver with a digital tuner, a pager with thermal paper printout and, most impressive of all to the now drooling listener, has capacity for recording up to 300 standard-size songs, "though I only have 32 of my favourites in there so far" says the Yamaha man.

He starts playing "Moon River" and the stranger has never heard anything like those amazing un-tinny voices coming out of the tiny keyboard on the Yamaha man's wrist.

"I've got to have that keyboard! ", says the stranger.

"No, you don't understand; it's not ready....."

"I'll give you $1000 for it!"

"Oh, no, I've already spent more than....."

"I'll give you $5000 for it!"

"But it's just not....."

"I'll give you $15 000 for it!"

And the stranger pulls out a checkbook. "I've just got to have that keyboard!"

"But...". The Yamaha man stops to think. He's only put about $8500 into materials and development, and with $15 000 he could make another one and have it ready for merchandising in only another half a year. $15000?"

The stranger frantically finishes writing the check and waves it in front of him. "Here it is, ready to hand to you right here and now." The Yamaha man abruptly makes his decision. "Ok", he says, and takes off the keyboard . They make the exchange, the check for the keyboard , and the stranger starts happily away.

"Hey, wait a minute", calls the Yamaha man after the stranger, who turns around warily.

The Yamaha man indicates the two suitcases he'd been trying to wrestle through the bus station. "Don't you want the batteries?"

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 01-16-2006).]
Posted by: Tom Cavanaugh

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 04:08 PM

Squeak,

I wish you would stick around. I've always appreciated your comments and your enthusiasm for Casio and other products. I too feel that the Casio line presents real value for the dollar. Many times I have wondered if the added expense we pay for the other brands really justifies the benefits received. You have always kept us informed and I would miss your input. If we can't convince you to stick around, God bless you, You will be missed!
Posted by: trident

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/16/06 11:50 PM

Hi Squeak,
take a good night's sleep and in the morning you will realise that your family and well being matters most thank any word exchange in written form, in any forum.
You already have "fought" many "fights" more serious than that already, and you will probably see more in the years to come, but this IMHO, is not a reason to quit.
Arguing is a way of life for me, and here at work, we always are tense, we exchange words, we cuss at each other, but 5 mins later we are fine, because the reason we fought about is over, and we realise that every person had an opinion and was defending it.
There is no right or wrong in personal opinions, especially those that involve matters with no substance, as liking a genre of music or a football team.

The two sayings that I like are "Opinions are like A@@holes, everybody has one"
and
******Deleted******* as required.

Apologies to those offended by the second one.
Theodore

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 01-17-2006).]

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 04:00 AM

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 01-17-2006).]
Posted by: zuki

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 04:24 AM

Squeak -

Remember, once you get in, you can't get out Think about sticking around, because we need comments from the heart. I enjoy your posts and hope to hear from you again.

Your friend,
zuki

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 04:39 AM

Frank,
ok

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 05:33 AM

Theodore, Thankyou

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 07:22 AM

Folks, thanks for all the support, but my decision still stands. This being my last post I want to share a small part of an email I was sent by a forum a member some time ago. I won't mention the persons name, but this member post daily on the Zone. Even though I deleted the email this part I remember WORD FOR WORD.
--------------------------------------------
"Squeak, I don't know what your problem is. The majority of our members don't listen to your black music or whatever it is you people are listening to these days".

That's just a small snip of the email. This email screams of racial overtones. The member who sent me this was clearly a coward because they knew that posting this on the Zone would have led to some problems.

However, I just brushed this email off because I know that this member doesn't represent the forum as a whole, and it would be wrong of me to generalize the entire zone based off this one member. This just gives you some insight into the mentality that some of the Zone's daily posters have. It's also not the only hateful email I got from members with racial overtones either.

Folks, there have been many good years for me here on the forum. I will still check back every so often, and if a topic sparks my interest I'll reply by personal email to members.

Best Regards to all members!

Sincerely,
Squeak_D
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 08:21 AM

I wasn't going to comment on this topic at all because it's personal and in my opinion this board should not be personalized, it should be about music, equipment, and musicianship. However, the line has been crossed with this statement:

"Squeak, I don't know what your problem is. The majority of our members don't listen to your black music or whatever it is you people are listening to these days".

One of the beautiful things about these forums is the ability to communicate without gender, race, religion, sex, etc. getting in the way of the communication. I seriously WOULD like to know who on this board sent you this email. It's outrageous in this day and age for ANY discrimination, especially racial. If this is the kind of trash participating on this board, then in support of Squeak, I'm out as well.

The person who sent this to Squeak should publicly apologize.

Al

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 08:35 AM

That is pretty disturbing to me as well. I don't know who did it, and I think Squeak handled it right, as it probably serves us no good purpose to know and have it aired out here, but I understand what you are saying too Al and I can't help feeling a bit like that myself. Shame on the person who did that.

I can only wonder that if I was ever somehow the recipient of something so vile at the hands of another member, whether would I be able to face it and deal with it with the amount of class and dignity that you have shown Squeak.

AJ

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 08:43 AM

Squeak,
I know you and I have had our differences,but I'm disappointed that you are not going to be involved in this group like you had been.
I can't blame you for being upset at receiving such a rotten e-mail. I think the person who sent you that e-mail has more wrong with them than than racial prejudice.
Sorry to hear that someone would treat you that way.
Ian
Posted by: The Accordionist

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 09:05 AM

Yeah, about the lamest sentence I have ever heard. I guess I'm one of those "black music" degenerates because I concentrate about 90% on jazz now.

Seems to me that Squeak just likes music. Trance, Standards, Jazz, Rap, and even Country.

As disgusting as that email was, it was private and it seems unfair to publish the individual's name. If the author would like to step forward and apologize that would seem most appropriate, although people who make comments like that truly don't see what's wrong with it, which makes it all the more sad.

Tommy
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 09:20 AM

squeak, ... I am sorry you had to be subjected to that ... I am even sorrier that the rest of us here get to lose you as a member because of one idiot !!!
I do not like being 'painted with the same brush' as that individual ... It's your decision, but it's our loss ...
t.
Posted by: chony

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 09:48 AM

I guess you've made up your mind. I don't think you should leave. I always enjoy reading your posts and listening to your music. You're one of the icons of SZ!

Do what you've got to do...

Good luck with everything!
Chony
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 09:59 AM

Squeak: You're right. Nasty people abound in every venue & walk of life. If it's not race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender, sexuality, political affliation, body size/type, they'll find 'something ELSE' (perhaps your keyboard brand/model preference) to target. Case in point:

Just substitue the following words into your quote and you'll get what I'm saying:

"(insert your name here), I don't know what your problem is. The majority of our members don't listen to (insert your current keyboard brand/model played here) styles, or whatever it is you (insert your current keyboard brand/model here) owners are listening to these days".

Squeak, If you leave the forum, you'd only be giving that as*hole the pleasure of having beat you at his game. If you want to work in the music biz, this kind of thing unfortunately goes with the territory. As a minority american myself, I've received my share of racial slurs (often sutble) too, but REFUSE to let any of it keep me from doing what I love most: performing and sharing my music with my fans. On the SZ forum, as in the entertainment world as well, the more well known (famous) you become, not only will your fan base grow, but your enemy (jeoulousy) list will grow proportionately as well. Welcome to the real world.

Scott
Posted by: abacus

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 10:13 AM

Hello Squeak_D
I agree with the above sentiments of the decent members, these types of people have no place in this day and age.
However best of luck with decision, and I hope that at some time you will return, as who knows, the person who made this comment may be so ashamed that they resign from the forum.

Bill
Posted by: to the genesys

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 11:48 AM

Squeak,
Its really sad that a person could make a comment like that to you regardless if it was made in a private email. It should not have been made in the first place.

I respect your decision to leave but am still hoping you will come back later.
Posted by: spalding

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 12:10 PM

So if you go Squeek who is going to comment on my Black music should i ever decide to put some of my grooves up in here as a black proud man ?

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 12:13 PM

Ps i would aslo publish this fools name . I want to know which Klan member i am dealing with !

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 12:19 PM

Guys please! Don't turn this into something that it's not. I've made my decision already. I'm posting this to say that PLEASE re-read the post regarding that comment. I CLEARLY stated that is NOT the reason I'm leaving. Just please leave it alone......

Goodbye.
Posted by: nielshs

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 12:24 PM

Hi squeak_D

It's not you who should leave this forum, but the person who send you the e-mail. Please let us know who it is and hope that Nigel will throw him out from the SZ forum.

Regards Niels
Posted by: zuki

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 12:51 PM

I'd vote to NOT disclose the author of your received e-mail. I do not believe in public lynching and this is not the venue for it. We should heed the advise of Squeak and just let it go. Everyone is entitled to a 'mistake'. God only knows that I've been sorry for some poor decisions and comments and I've made. I'm more appreciative and respectful of those who decided not to chastise me, thus allowing me to learn from my mistakes.

(no, I did not send the email!)

zuki

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 12:59 PM

It's Squeak's personal choice on how to handle this, and I respect his decision. I think Squeak made a well thought out decison and at least from where I sit it looks like he took a very high road when he did it.

AJ
Posted by: nardoni2002

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 03:53 PM

squeak,lurking is better than leaving, taking a break does yer good, all the best my friend ,and if you change your mind ,well, we will be here,mike
Posted by: Tony W

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 04:04 PM

I too am sad to see Squeak go. He and I have not had lot's of interaction but we have both been around here for a long time and I will miss his posts and his enthusiasm. (also his expertise when it comes to synths).

I think the email Squeak recieved disgusting in the extreme but do understand that this is not Squeaks reason for leaving. If Squeaks asks that we leave it alone then we should all abide by his wishes. It is ultimately his call and true to form he has called it with dignity.

I too have had dubious emails in the past (fag, homo etc etc) although thankfully not from longtime members. These have been far outweighed however by the emails I recieve from people here offering advice, support and friendship and that is what makes this place special.

I too wish Squeak would reconsider his original decision but like he says he is doing what he feels is right for him at this moment in time and we should respect that. A public lynching might make us feel better but it won't help Squeak, change his mind or ultimately help the forum.

Just my thoughts
Tony
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 05:48 PM

Bye Squeak,
hope you change your mind.
Casio's losing a great advocate for their keyboards.
best wishes
Rikki
Posted by: Nigel

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/17/06 11:24 PM

It is obvious from this thread that we'll all be sorry to see you go Squeak. Don't let the ignorance of one person who emailed you influence your decision. You already know that is not how the rest of us think or you would have not hung around here for so many years. Why let one person dictate what you should do? By leaving you are letting them achieve that.

I have noticed lately that some people are offended by 1 person in 1000 and are deciding to leave the forum. But in this online world that will never change and I think the ratio is more in your favor here than any other forum you can find online. In other words I really don't think it will be better elsewhere than it is here. There will always be one jerk among us but we should not let them influence us else they have won.

Don't leave Squeak unless you have decided to give in to other people's stupidity.
Posted by: Spalding1

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/18/06 12:13 AM

bad guys get away with doing bad things because the good guys keep quiet. Expose this fool......

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/18/06 12:44 AM

Whatever we say, the thing is that whoever mailed Squeak with that, for whatever reason, did that in private.

The same person can be one of the most helpful members here, with vast knowledge and wilingness to share.

He/she may be someone who has helped a lot of us "newbies" or other more experienced members here in times of need, helped to learn things that would take months, or considerable research.

So what do we do? Hang him/her because he/she thinks that Squeak likes "black" music? Not in my opinion.

I for one, (although for the record I don't like those kind of emails at all, I despise them to be exact) don't exactly care if I share the same forum here with the Queen of England or a convicted felon.

As long as someone contributes here, and I can interact in a social manner, can rely on his/her knowledge, to learn things I don't know about MUSIC and matters related to MUSIC, I don't care if he is beating his wife, or is drunk half the time, or locking his children in the bathroom all day. If he/she provides remarks that I feel I don't agree or are degrading about me, I will respond as I see fit.

But if I was on the "badly beaten wives" or "locked chilren" forum, I would order this man hanged, and scream "guilty".... but not in this forum which is about MUSIC.

After all, and I don't "hide" because I live far away from the most of you, I probably won't meet any of the members here in person unless you travel in Greece, in which case I would look forward to, so I won't have the opportunity to judge your character or any other charismas or shortcomings.

Can we compartmentalize a little? Divide things in little boxes and keep them locked and separate? Of course some leaking will occur, but it will be nothing compared to mixing everything up. Next thing we will be trying to find who is the culprit, who things blacks are bad, who thinks women are bad and so on...this will become the General Discussion About Everything Else Except Arrangers Forum.

It is sad to see Squeak go, but he has made a decision. He also can make a desision to come back at a later time.
He will be welcome, at least for me, because he expresses kind opinions and gives advice that I find useful for me and many others here. I hope I talk to him via email, from time to time. See you Squeak, I won't shed tears if you leave, but I will nod and smile if you return. You get the idea.
Theodore

PS you may agree with the above, you may not. Here I am, talk to me, or ignore me.
Posted by: LindaFus

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/18/06 03:04 AM

Squeak,

I agree with Nigel here. This forum is probably the most sane forum I have ever been on in one of its very BAD days! It has very little resistance and remarkably recovers from blown out of preportion discussions quickly. I hope you can take a break from this all and return when you feel more confident. I will miss my Casio buddy!!

Let me start a war here! 'CASIO RULES'!!!!

or? Just start writing in the Casio area it needs help!

You take care,

-Linda

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/18/06 07:29 AM

Out of respect for others on this forum i would be happy to start another thread elsewhere trident and i will talk to you about why it matters whether you get your advice from child abusers racists and murders or paedophiles. Some things come at too high a price Trident.
Posted by: Tony Rome

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/18/06 09:56 AM

Hello to all, I've been absent for awhile because of reconstruction of my restaurant and don't have the time as before to participate in this fine forum...just happened to see this thread and want to add my 2 cents...Squeak, I don't want you to go,
if you must, good luck and hopefully you will be back....I think the e-mail you received is sooo out of line and ugly that I don't think this person is of this time in this world....I also want to say, how do you "color music"...black, white, green or blue.....dammit, MUSIC is MUSIC....it doesnt have a color or gender, if you don't like a particular type of music or sound, don't listen to it but don't label it. Keep racism off of this forum, if you want to be a racist, do so in your own mind. We are in the 21 century, a new day, a new age, a new mentality, grow up and except it and let everyone live in peace, as Russ said Squeak is a family man trying to enjoy his music and family and as far as I can tell by his posts, never offended anyone....just my 2 cents...Thank you
TR
Posted by: freddynl

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/18/06 02:20 PM

When seeing this topic I thought what's that all about... anyway if you guys reed well, Squeak is not leaving at all, but just changes from active to not active.
It's a pity and a shame if you look to the reason for doing this, so I do agree with most comments on this.

Anyway good luck squeak and I am sure we speak to you now and then once in a while.
And you can allways send a mail.

Take care,
Fred
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/18/06 07:38 PM

Squeak:

You obviously have to do what you have to do but, remember, as somebody suggested, why don't you just lurk awhile. We've lost so many great guys here lately and I always enjoy reading your posts. If you do decide to leave, rest assured that you will be missed. Best wishes and good luck, whatever you decide to do.

RICE
Posted by: brickboo

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/18/06 08:18 PM

Squeak, I remember when you gave me the most and best help with digital recorder questions that I had. Just watch from the side lines for a while and ask a question now and then. This works for me and I stay out of trouble. We need to be more like DonM. He just laughs at everything. Of course he stands 6'5" and weighs atleast 245. Who's gonna mess with him? Hang in there friend.
Posted by: DerfMuisc

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/18/06 09:14 PM

I've fallen and I can't get up!
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/19/06 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spalding1:
bad guys get away with doing bad things because the good guys keep quiet. Expose this fool......

Squeak, to his credit, won't stoop to that fools level.
Starkeeper
Posted by: rdnzl

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/19/06 06:11 AM

Most people just "move on" without saying anything. People who post a statement about leaving a forum, are looking for attention.

Sorry.
Posted by: GlennT

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/19/06 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rdnzl:Most people just "move on" without saying anything. People who post a statement about leaving a forum, are looking for attention

Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/19/06 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rdnzl:
Most people just "move on" without saying anything. People who post a statement about leaving a forum, are looking for attention.
Sorry.

.... or maybe wanted friends to know why he wasn't going to be around anymore ...
... we have often asked if anyone has heard from another S-Z member who hasn't posted in a while ...
t.

Re: I'm out Folks! !! Peace :) - 01/20/06 11:10 PM

After some thought about this, I'm out the door as well. The horrible stuff that was done to Squeak weighs on my mind, and just adds to it, but it's also far from being the only reason. There are times when I simply fit like a square peg in a round hole on this forum, and I know it.

It's an arranger forum and much of my interests musically don't fit the criteria. Also, my personality can be gruff at times, and although it's usually not only accepted by those who know me in the real world, but sometimes thought of almost comically as an endearing quality, it doesn't always translate well on a forum like this to those who cannot see my face, body language, or know how often I'm actually speaking "tongue in cheek".

As I said before, I normally like to bow out quietly and really noone notices and after a short while I come back. This time is different though and I'm signing out for good. I don't care much for the attention, nor am I looking for it, but rather I would simply like to take a moment to thank those that have helped me along in this journey to learn so much more than I could have ever known on my own.

May peace be with you all, and may you forever pursue and find satisfaction through the music that you make and the music that you love.

AJ