SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#117835 - 02/06/02 11:49 AM Re: multi pads - only Technics????
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Eddie is absolutely RIGHT ! When the auto accompaniment is ON, the phrase plays back in the 'same' key you are triggering when you play your auto-accomp chord. I WANT it this way ! I like jazz, but I'm personally not into 'atonal' jazz.

#117836 - 02/06/02 11:52 AM Re: multi pads - only Technics????
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
Don

It is certainly one example - and I think that intros are a prime candidate for stand alone sequences used in conjunction with the arranger.

MH

#117837 - 02/06/02 11:57 AM Re: multi pads - only Technics????
Mike H Offline

Scott
I certainly see your point - but what about something as simple as wanting to hear and hold a simple interval such as D and G through a series of chords such as C6/9 - Dsus, Asus, Bb 6, Eb M7 - none of those would be particularly atonal - and it would certainly fit??

MH

#117838 - 02/06/02 11:57 AM Re: multi pads - only Technics????
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I believe that there is an option for Multi Pads on the PSR 2000 ( and the 740 before it ) which allows the user to either set the pads up to follow chord changes or to work independently of chord changes. If I remeber right, this can only be done on user created pads.

Korg AJ

#117839 - 02/06/02 12:02 PM Re: multi pads - only Technics????
Mike H Offline

As to the VA series

Roland tells me that musical passages are not assignable to the performance pads on the VA76 - who knows

thanks AJ

MH

[This message has been edited by Mike H (edited 02-06-2002).]

#117840 - 02/06/02 12:14 PM Re: multi pads - only Technics????
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
AJ, so RIGHT you are. On the PSR2000 you can set 'chord match' on/off. If set to off, the phrase will play as recorded, set to on, the phrase will be re-harmonized to match the accompaniment chords. Another PSR2000 multi pad feature is 'repeat'. When it is set to off, the phrase only plays once, when set to on, the phrase repeats continuously till you hit the multi pad stop button. Sounds like the PSR may fit your pad wishes now. I just wonder what the note capacity of the user multipad section of the PSR2000 is. Anyone here know?

If only the PSR keyboards would recognize jazz chord voicings in 'full keyboard mode' like Technics arrangers do. I guess there's still no ONE arranger keyboard which has ALL the cool features I keep hoping the 'next' model(s) will.

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-06-2002).]

#117841 - 02/06/02 12:28 PM Re: multi pads - only Technics????
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think the Multipad memory on the 2000 is limited by the overall Flash Memory. In other words it depends on how many styles, sounds, and songs you have in memory.
I noticed when I started loading external multipads that I ran out of memory pretty quickly.
You could clear everything else from Flash memory and dedicate it all the this I suppose.
DonM

#117842 - 02/07/02 01:41 AM Re: multi pads - only Technics????
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Mike
On the KN6000 there are 3 user banks x 6 performance pads. Pads 1-4 have 2 tracks which can be looped and up to 16 measures. Pads 5 & 6 are solo track. They are chord specific. You can also copy from sequencer to pads.

#117843 - 02/07/02 04:00 AM Re: multi pads - only Technics????
technicsplayer Offline

with respect, the 6/6500 pads are more advanced than yamaha, and can do much more than the 5000 pads.

They are 2 track and all can be switched to either follow the automatic chords, or ignore them as Mike wishes. Also full single/loop and instant/synchro triggering.

There is control of pitch point, various controllers as Scott describes with reverb, chorus, digital effect etc , and full independant parametric equalisation of each track.

Where you wish them to follow the auto chords, the chord following can be programmed with 23 types of note response to chords eg in 7th G to Bb, or C to Bb, natural min, harmonic min etc, and this is programmable for each individual note in the track as well as each track. So you could follow chords but program the top note of a pad to remain constant for various chord changes, while the other notes follow the chord, like the preset patterns. Or just program individual notes of a chord to have different responses to the same chord change in the left hand.

The Solo pads can be programmed with a chord sequence, and therefore take over control of the left hand while they play. This can be done in step programming too. But they can be used in the same way as the other pads too, if you wish, it is all programmable. I'm not sure what John means by chord specific, but I don't believe it is the case since everything is programmable, and the chord sequence will play from whichever starting chord you have in the left hand, so is not specific?

You can copy the existing pads into user and then edit the programming as you wish.

The sequencer copy means that you can merge more than 2 tracks in the sequencer, and therefore effectively have more than 2 tracks in the pad, if you swap voices in the track at the right times (easy in step edit).
Using the sequencer is particulary easy because of the piano roll display like a pc sequencer.

The main difference was on the 9000 I believe the single track pads were polyphonic to a degree, whereas the 2 track pads on the 6000 cut off when you play the next pad.

[This message has been edited by technicsplayer (edited 02-07-2002).]

#117844 - 02/07/02 09:20 AM Re: multi pads - only Technics????
Mike H Offline

technicsplayer et al

Thanks for a very thorough explanation of the performance pad possibilities - especially the 6500. I am not sure of the total note storage capacity of the pads in that instrument but I assume that every song/style brought up in registration reloads the pads with whatever you might want to trigger in that particular tune. This could be of good use to me for intros, interludes, and endings. Now to see what the VA76 can do.

BTW - I spoke with a Technics fella for a bit the other day - who said there will definitely be a new model out this year - and supposedly long before the end of the year. - They are not saying anything as of yet.

regards
MH

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online