#116714 - 08/31/07 09:36 AM Re: Hands on opinions ..PA800
Dnj Offline

Graham......Nice detetcive work now we're getting somewhere

#116715 - 08/31/07 09:44 AM Re: Hands on opinions ..PA800
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Must be a personal thing. Or perhaps the particular styles that are used. I have no problems with fills on my Pa1x pro, in fact, they're more accurate than a lot of live drummers I've worked with. This myth was started by someone awhile back and is now parroted as gospel, mostly by non-Korg owners. Just check and see who is offering the strongest opinions. 'nuff said.

chas

they ARE out of sync. probably some of them, i can not remember exactly. if you don't hit the button in the exact milisecond, your gone.
i am a former korg user, and played with more than one korg model. if this is repaired, one day i will be again. ...maybe!

[This message has been edited by adimatis (edited 08-31-2007).]

#116716 - 08/31/07 12:46 PM Re: Hands on opinions ..PA800
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Sorry guys, I had played the PA60 and now the PA800, and NEVER had trouble with the Fill ins, with either model, I guess if you are not to acurate in your timing, I really do not know.

I sold the PA 60 a little before I got the PA800 to a colleage of mine here and I asked him about this topic, his reply, he does not have or had any problem with that, and that makes 2 uf us, in another forum, also was the topic, and there, most of the users did not have trouble. Go figure??? ;-)

#116717 - 08/31/07 03:13 PM Re: Hands on opinions ..PA800
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Fran,
You're in trouble anyway. With or withOUT smilies !I will test your overweight, oversized G70 before I tell you (again) that the PA800 harmonizer works better.

#116718 - 08/31/07 03:48 PM Re: Hands on opinions ..PA800
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Quote:
Originally posted by mdorantes:
Sorry guys, I had played the PA60 and now the PA800, and NEVER had trouble with the Fill ins, with either model, I guess if you are not to acurate in your timing, I really do not know.

well, a good programing for the fill-in is EXACTLY this: no matter if my timing is not acurate, the fill-in pattern would have to play just as smooth. maybe from the next bar or measure, but SMOOTH. korg does it like a hiccup, i am sorry, but that it is. i am too lazy to search, but i am pretty sure i still have some of my old pa50 recordings, i could even prouve it.
but nevermind, for alot of people this seems to be just a very small and not important thing. good for you.
for me it was big. good for me - as now i play a different instrument!

#116719 - 08/31/07 06:46 PM Re: Hands on opinions ..PA800
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The whole IDEA of the fill concept is that you should be able to trigger it at ANY time during the bar until usually the last quarter note (or eighth if it is a slower style), and it flow smoothly, no matter what.

Having to hit it at any particular beat just to make it work right is NOT part of normal fill operation, at least AFAIK...

#116720 - 09/01/07 02:59 AM Re: Hands on opinions ..PA800
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Two way to fix in PA.

Choose style sync (measure instead of real time),then you'll have Yamaha like precise and great timing fills.

Volume problem in fills (also some are 1/2 fills - like in bossa style) you need to copy and transfer from simpler style.

Go to Korg web site,download great and simple yamaha styles(like old 9 k) 8 beats.Korg's 8 beats are too contemporary,they forgot to put more simple beats and cleaner back ground accomp(muting some tracks will not always work since you need simpler strings or ride sound (with less busy riff like accomp) in 3rd or 4 th variation .

Good point here is each (individual -track and tone )is huge in Korg(almost ALL sounds have the quality of sweet,cool voices) (plus full blown workstation type synth and sequencer editing power in KORG(since they use same synth engine main board minus full efx;unlike the competition combined since Korg has big 3rd party workstaion patches)

(Like Yamaha wins in 3rd party styles comparing all others combined) .

I also think that 2 fills are too limited for a pro arranger(with 4 variations).simpler vari 1 -busy fill 1 or 2-simpler vari 2 doesn't work.Bad design (OK for 1993 's I3 but it's a shame that they refused to change it in 2007).Sounds are improved but main arranger must-haves are somewhat lacking IMHO.It's a KB with workstaion in mind(great sounds and editing,great seq and editing).Great for studio.But not a KB with arranger in mind compared to a cheaper PSR (bad keys,bad hardware,weak drums,not that great VH,somewaht thin XG backin'in some styles(except MEGa,SA and cool/sweet etc).But PSR is an arranger and shines in ARRANGER functions (SMF with style drums,pads playing loops even before PSR 2000 -PA 50,60,80 can't do that -it's a relatively new feature for KORG -only in pa1x and 800),light weight,GREAT OS with less button pressing ,smooth fills and variations that are DESIGNED TO SUPPORT THE VOCAL TRACK)and so on).

Weak OS in KORG like needing to press 2 buttons(just for the menu) if you want to go from 8 beats to bossa(same is true for patch select,too).

If Korg can steal some Yamaha 8 beats -simple rock and latin styles ,put 4 fills that are simpler, they will sell like Yamaha too.

Good luck.

Korg needs yamaha team for OS and some Hardware(buttons)change , Yamaha need to put more drum and bass samples from MOTIF XS in their arrangers and everybody will be happy.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 09-02-2007).]

#116721 - 09/01/07 05:59 AM Re: Hands on opinions ..PA800
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

Complicated/intricate styles:
Ketron
Korg
Roland
Yamaha

OK, I'll add:

Yamaha styles:

Intricate
Articulate
Smooth
Flawless flow
Not busy
Natural progression per variation
Minor tweeking for volume balances at times

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#116722 - 09/02/07 04:15 AM Re: Hands on opinions ..PA800
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
i have just gone through 30 random styles on my PA1X version OS 3.01 and played fillins , endings breaks etc randomly. They all transitioned smoothly. I have owned the PAx for coming up to two years and never had a problem with fillins or variations in volume or changes in instruments during the fillins or poorly timed fillins. I dont know if this was a roblem with the PA series when they first came on the scene but i am surpised that these things are being reported on the PA800 which is a relatively new comer on the scene . I can catagorically tell youthat the PA1X at least since OS version 2 and onwards does not have any timing issues with regards to fill ins. I would be shocked if this were truly the case for the PA800.

#116723 - 09/02/07 04:37 AM Re: Hands on opinions ..PA800
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
i've had the pa800 for 7 months, and the fills work fine.

The old PA80 were bad, the one thing is if you in variation 1 and hit fill 4 you will notice a difference because the fill is more complicated.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online